Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I recommend the Great Planes RV-4

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I recommend the Great Planes RV-4

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I recommend the Great Planes RV-4

For those of you guys that are going to be getting into large birds this could be a GREAT second plane, the Great Planes RV-4 is it. If you are looking to get some low wing tail dragger w/ flaps experience you could not do better than this one. I am more impressed with this plane every time I fly it. It isn't fast, it floats off the ground and will float back down with the flaps. If it is windy you don't really need the flaps to take off or land. Just a graceful bird.
If you get the O.S. 91 surpass to go in it, it fits like a glove and is a perfect match for this plane. The construction is excellent and the hardware is good quality. It goes together real easy as well. The instructions are clear and concise. If you need help there is a super large thread here on RCU about it.
I have around $900.00 in this one. That includes two wingbags, onboard glow and a molded pilot so you might get it together for less.
RC Ken and Co. what do you think?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:44 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: I recommend the Great Planes RV-4

I've heard a lot of good things about the RV-4, although I haven't had the opportunity to fly one myself yet. I have a GP RV-4 kit on the shelf but I just haven't had a chance to start it yet.

Ken
Old 09-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL , So many planes and so little time.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Tell me about it. A couple of buddies and I went and looked at a bunch of planes that were in an estate sale. They had 2 GP Kaos and an Direct Connection Ultimate Kaos kit there!!! Somehow they found their way into the back of my truck!!!

Ken
Old 09-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Missileman

I got 4 flights in on mine yesterday. Great flying airplane to be sure.
Mine has an OS 91FS turning a 14X7 Graupner prop.
It will stall nose forward so be carefull when you land that you don't slow down too much, I have rebuilt my landing gear 4 times. 3 times because I stalled it myself and once when coming in to land from the edge of a large hill, perfect aproach and suddenly it was like someone took the air away.
Aside from that the GP RV-4 is still my favorite airplane. If you are considering one don't hesitate, get it, you won't be sorry.
PS: I don't see any need for an onboard glow but you will need a remote adaptor as the entire engine fits inside the cowl.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started building a GP RV4 kit. I'm almost done building the left wing so I like quite a bit having it built. I plan to power it with a Magnum 70 four stroke. I will be building it with flaps.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:33 PM
nickj

I'm such a sucker for these recommendations. I'm ordering one now.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:53 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Tell me about it. A couple of buddies and I went and looked at a bunch of planes that were in an estate sale. They had 2 GP Kaos and an Direct Connection Ultimate Kaos kit there!!! Somehow they found their way into the back of my truck!!!

Ken
How do you guys find the RC estate sales? Is it just someone that knows someone from a club or something?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

That's what this was. Somebody else actually found the sale and bought it all out. We looked at what he had. As far as finding estate sales, I watch the newspaper classified ads for them.

Ken
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Missileman

I got 4 flights in on mine yesterday. Great flying airplane to be sure.
Mine has an OS 91FS turning a 14X7 Graupner prop.
It will stall nose forward so be carefull when you land that you don't slow down too much, I have rebuilt my landing gear 4 times. 3 times because I stalled it myself and once when coming in to land from the edge of a large hill, perfect aproach and suddenly it was like someone took the air away.
Aside from that the GP RV-4 is still my favorite airplane. If you are considering one don't hesitate, get it, you won't be sorry.
PS: I don't see any need for an onboard glow but you will need a remote adaptor as the entire engine fits inside the cowl.
I can't make mine stall. I got it up high, (about 200') dropped the trottle back, held the elevator up, watched it glide until I had to turn it back to me (this without flaps). Even then it was still 40' or so above the run way when I finally had to power it back up. THIS is why I recommend it to guys moving from a trainer to their next plane. Landing is easy even without flaps. I have had some hard landings because our field is on top of a hill, with some tricky winds. The most it has done is bend the landing gear. I suggest you get an extra pair of landing gear. The reason is even the best of pilots have hard landings sometimes. The extra set of gear is a guide to help you bend the gear back like it original. Do Not bend the gear back while on the plane because the gear is stout and you will damage the belly of the plane.
Missleman is right, you do need remote glow plug adapter. Yes onboard glow isn't necessary but I love being able to just fuel my plane up, start it and fly. I have it on all of my glow planes. I use Great Planes remote fuel fitting as well.
I use a 15x6 Master Airscrew on mine. It just looks good on the RV-4

P.S. RC Ken thanks for all of your advice when I was getting started, You kept me from making some stupid and very expensive mistakes.