Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

new to rc, need help with avistar

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

new to rc, need help with avistar

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:50 PM
gu11y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to rc, need help with avistar

hi people, i'm like really new with the whole rc airplane thing, i just got a hobbico avistar for my first plane, but one prob, its all assembled and everything,

but

1 how do you fuel it?
2 and also what are the things i will absolutely need for the field, i don't want to buy things i don't need?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:04 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: new to rc, need help with avistar

read the instructions
Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 PM
gu11y

i've read the instru.,
Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

you will need a fuel can/bottle.glo starter. rags something to clean up with a lot of people use Windex. a field box to store everything in. if you don’t use an electric starter get something from your lhs,called a chicken stick or you can make your own out of a 1/2 to 3/4 dowel and about 8 inches long that will help you start the engine. you will also need a fuel pump they sell nice hand crank pumps that will last a lot longer than most electric fuelers.some extra fuel tubing a few small screwdrivers both cross tip and flat. needle nose pliers. you can get really fancy with supplies. I would also keep one or two extra glo plugs the same as your engine uses. those are some of the basics.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:22 PM
gu11y

so basically all i need is fuel, a pump, a starter, and glow plugs and the rest is just household stuff??
Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Missileman

As far as how to fuel.
You need a fuel pump, either hand crank or electric. (I have seen people use a bulb simular to a turky baster but made to handle glow fuel, but a regular pump is easier) disconect the fuel line from your carb and plug your pump in and fill until fuel starts to come out of the line to your muffler (most people will disconect the line to the muffler while fueling to prevent it from filling with raw fuel)
Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: gu11y

so basically all i need is fuel, a pump, a starter, and glow plugs and the rest is just household stuff??
AND VERY IMPORTANT, something to tie your airplane down while starting the engine. A piece of rope around the tail tied to a good ancor point works well.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Gary L.

But most important, get an INSTRUCTOR !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Join a club if you can. You will learn valuable lessons and experience from others that have been flying for a while. I wouldnt be where I am without them. I have been flying for only 5-6 months and I am way ahead of many. But I am also on here all of the time learning from those seasoned flyers. Its cheaper than making the mistakes myself.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:13 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Welcome to RC flying,
You will need a large trash bagLOL that joke is older than most of the old farts on this site .... except maybe RCKen LOL

glow plug driver, extra glow plug, fuel, fuel pump, an elec starter with battery is worth the $ to avoid the hassles, rubber bands (cheap at an office supply). if you have an instructor you can sometimes borrow some of this stuff at first, some thing or someone to hold the plane while being started and adjusted THIS IS IMPORTANT because there will be adjustments and a lot at first (all new planes need this) paper towels and spray cleaner (aviod amonia), extra prop
SERIOUSLY this is where an instructor will be worth his weight in gold 'cause figuring all this out by yourself can be far from fun. trying to fly a plane that is out of trim is extremely hard early in the game ( all new planes are out at least a little with few exceptions).
The first time you fly with a plane that is set up and trimmed is what this is all about. A trainer that is set up correctly will fly straight and level hands off you don't have to compensate for out of trim which you can't do if you haven't learned![8D]
Most guys go to the field with a new plane and someone "checks it out" and usually some adjustments will be made. I had to come out 3 times before my instructor let mine go up and he was my friend! but he let me fly his trainer on the buddy box so it was cool.

A decent flight box can be made dirt cheap, check out
SPADTOTHEBONE.COM
and look at the "free plans" and then "misc." for a coro box that can be made out of free signs or use a cardboard box at first most of us had an old box or a recycled thingy at first.
Two important rules
#1 HAVE FUN #2 keep an open mind, there is a lot of fun stuff to learn!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:21 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just visiting a club would answer every question you've got now. And you're going to have more questions almost right after getting answers to the first ones. You've already been adding new ones.

Honest, you need to ..............

Jeez, I just looked up Fertile, MN. You may really have a problem.

Is there a hobby shop anywhere near? Do you ever get down to the Twin Cities? Fargo?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:46 AM
acarter

I agree with everything said here, get an instructor, if your trying to learn on your own you probably have a 30% change of succes (if that), if you do decide to learn on your own then atleast get a simulator, you can get some decent cheap ones that might save your plane, but there are things that an instructor will teach you that you really can't learn from reading, (such as engine tuning, cuz the last thing you want is to have a dead stick on your first flight[:@], Just my opinion

Austin
Old 09-29-2007, 08:14 AM
RU4JESUS2 FALCONGTS

YOU MAY WANT TO GET A FLIGHT SIM FOR YOUR PC FIRST IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE . G 3.5 IS GOOD

I TAUGHT MY SELF I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BECAUSE FIRST IT IS DANGEROUS !!!! I HAVE CRASHED MANY TIMES ... HIT MY KIDS /HOUSES /WORK TRUCK/ EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A PARK FLYER THINGS CAN AND DO GET UGLY FAST

I WAS BLESSED NO ONE WAS HURT AND NO DAMAGE . EXCEPT TAPE FOR THE NOSE OF THE PLANE IT STILL FLYS

LITTLE THINGS LIKE TAKE OFF AND LAND INTO THE WIND CAN BE LEARNED AT A CLUB AS WELL YOU WILL HAVE PEOPLE TO TEACH YOU IN A SAFE PLACE AND AVOID THE HEADACHES I HAD

GO TO A CLUB ASK FOR HELP IT WILL SAVE YOU TIME AND MONEY AS WELL YOU MAKE NEW FRIENDS!! THANKS FALCON
Old 09-29-2007, 08:29 AM
OzMo

do a little searching and find a club. some phone work first, and then a mini road trip for help with the first flight. that will cost you less than broken plane parts.

if you have a digital camara you could post pics so we could help a little more here with the plane.
this hobby is a ton of fun and worth sticking to but it can cause a lot of fustration without a little hands on help.

good luck
Old 09-29-2007, 09:48 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet IMO is to buy the minimum that you can get away with at first. Then join a club and connect with an instructor. While there you will observe others flying and all of the "gadgets" available so you can make an educated assessment of what YOU want/need. Your instructor will be able to explaint the pros/cons of each item as will their owners. For instance: PRO a big field box is nice to have as everything is available. CON it has to be transported and can be heavy if you get carried away.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:21 PM
OzMo

HEY! there is a club in Fergus Falls the contact e-mail is
[email protected]

Thats as close as I can find to Fertile but definately close enough to be worth the trip! Good Luck.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:01 PM
acarter

ORIGINAL: RU4JESUS2 FALCONGTS

YOU MAY WANT TO GET A FLIGHT SIM FOR YOUR PC FIRST IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE . G 3.5 IS GOOD

I TAUGHT MY SELF I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BECAUSE FIRST IT IS DANGEROUS !!!! I HAVE CRASHED MANY TIMES ... HIT MY KIDS /HOUSES /WORK TRUCK/ EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A PARK FLYER THINGS CAN AND DO GET UGLY FAST

I WAS BLESSED NO ONE WAS HURT AND NO DAMAGE . EXCEPT TAPE FOR THE NOSE OF THE PLANE IT STILL FLYS

LITTLE THINGS LIKE TAKE OFF AND LAND INTO THE WIND CAN BE LEARNED AT A CLUB AS WELL YOU WILL HAVE PEOPLE TO TEACH YOU IN A SAFE PLACE AND AVOID THE HEADACHES I HAD

GO TO A CLUB ASK FOR HELP IT WILL SAVE YOU TIME AND MONEY AS WELL YOU MAKE NEW FRIENDS!! THANKS FALCON
yep g3.5 is a great one, i own it, but it's up there in price, i think tower hobbies might have a discount on it now
Old 09-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Funkerdelicuk

you can spend as mutch as you like for feild equipment. its up to you in the end how mutch you want to carry
I would get some kind of box to carry things in.. as your club they may help you get some cheep tacle.
You must have..

1 some thing to stop it flying off ] could use to lenthe of water copper pipe
2 you need a 2 volt power to light the glow plug.. this can be a 2 volt batery or a flight pannel.. i use the batery
3 some thig to start engine with.. can be a stick of spruse or started moter( if t5he moter then 12 volt batery to run it and chargers for home)
4 spear parts like prop, glow plugs supper glue eleky bands anan keys to fit your engine. spere hinges. knifes plyars
any thing you think you could need
5 you need the clip to put on your engine and you need some thing to keep checking you recever batery

the rest you need to find some in your club to help you fly no good going it alown and have a shmash up.

hope you get on ok
Old 09-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING

use the RCU "find a club" search engine and find your nearest club, get in contact with the admin of that club and arrange to come down and see what they are flying. also ask about an instructor and who is available to help you (usually no charge for this) and get AMA insurance

then take your plane down to one of the clubs mettings and get it checked over by someone who knows what they are doing, there is usually someone around who is an instructor or suitable to teach you so ask around and once youve found someone whos happy to teach you he/she will help you fuel, defuel, tune your engine, set up your radio and furthermore it will be a lifeline should you get into trouble during flight (instructor will take over and recover the plane)
Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 PM
OzMo

ORIGINAL: Wild Foamy

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING

use the RCU "find a club" search engine and find your nearest club, get in contact with the admin of that club and arrange to come down and see what they are flying. also ask about an instructor and who is available to help you (usually no charge for this) and get AMA insurance

then take your plane down to one of the clubs mettings and get it checked over by someone who knows what they are doing, there is usually someone around who is an instructor or suitable to teach you so ask around and once youve found someone whos happy to teach you he/she will help you fuel, defuel, tune your engine, set up your radio and furthermore it will be a lifeline should you get into trouble during flight (instructor will take over and recover the plane)
I used the "find an instructor " function and posted the contact for him.