Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"Marie" P-51D

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"Marie" P-51D

Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
capo915

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Marie" P-51D

Hi guys,

Ive got a quick question for you. I ordered this plane shown from nitrorc and really cant wait. Its 66" wingspan with a required engine size between .61 and .75. Im thinking of picking up a super tiger .75 or a os.75 or a 4 stroke .91. From your experiences which engine would you put on it and is this a good warbird. Remember its not the Great Planes PTS P-51.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12311.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	785969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16663.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	785970  
Old 10-19-2007, 11:35 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: "Marie" P-51D

If you decide to go with a four stroke, you may want to go with soft mounts. The four strokes tend to vibrate more than the two strokes. But the plus side is that they are economical and have a more authentic sound to them. Plus, they have more torque (but less power) than the equal size 2 stroke. Your choice there.

I have the new OS 75 AX on a Goldberg Protege and it is one outstanding engine. Starts with a single flip, and runs and runs, and is fairly economical, and has lots of power.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:21 PM
opjose

Are you fairly experienced putting together ARF's?

e.g. do you have at least 3 under your belt?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the nitro models knock off "marie" will fly great with the OS91fs,you shouldn't have to use soft mounts the vibration isn't bad with the OSfs(I have 4 they run nice and smooth for a 4st)I run mine inverted super solid engine.
the #1 thing is check the fire wall to make sure there is tri stock in the corners and if not then epoxy some in and coat the fuel tank compartment with either thinned,or warmed epoxy to make sure all the joints are solid,warming epoxy will make it easyer to spread in the tank,a acid brush or any disposable brush works well for this,I would also recomend rubber gloves as this can get messy it seems like one touch of epoxy and the stuff migrates to all points of the body
another thing is check in the warbirds section theres plenty to search for on the nitro mustang as well as the Hangar-9.
from my reading its a good idea to check all glue joints as well and make sure there solid I have a H-9 its very close to the clone nitromodels version.
heres my H-9 Mustang OS91 surpassII,relocated the tail wheel to a scale position, and added tony howard scale exhausts theres alot you can do to these ARF's to jazz em up a bit.
not sure about the nitro version but my retracts also used to hang down when I had the gear doors on,they would catch in the air stream so I removed them after a couple of flights.

Name:	Us54724.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	786013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25275.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	786014  
Old 10-19-2007, 02:09 PM
capo915

Yes I am proficent in assembling ARF's. I have assembled and flown an Extra 300s, Piper Cub 81", and the nexstar trainer. I was going to get the kit from Hangar9 and start from scratch but this deal seemed too good for me.

Big Tim,

Thanks for the info. I am worried about the type of muffler I will need. I see you have a normal sport muffler on yours and I could put a pitts style muffler on but I do want to keep it scale, at least as much as I can do. Im also interested in getting better retracts later on and possibly adding makeshift flaps but that would take cutting the wing and doing some sanding and so forth. Where can I go to find more scale accessories for this plane? I.E. retracts, scale exhausts? Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:27 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: capo915

Yes I am proficent in assembling ARF's. I have assembled and flown an Extra 300s, Piper Cub 81", and the nexstar trainer. I was going to get the kit from Hangar9 and start from scratch but this deal seemed too good for me.
Great, then you will not have problem with the plane.

There's one guy who used to post here on occasion that made scale exhausts for the H9 P-51 that would likely fit this plane as well.

If you are contemplating getting better retracts, consider doing this now, and beefing up the entire area. You'll save yourself a lot of work later.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Jester241

I just rebuilt from the ground up a Hanger 9 P-51 which is about exactly the same as yours and I wedged an O.S. 1.20 4 stroker in it with a 3-blade 14x7 prop. The head sticks out the bottom of the cowl I little,but not much. Little nose heavy,but it seems to fly great from the little flight time I've got in it. So,I wouldnt want to go with anything less than a .75 two stroke. I'd even wedge a .90 in it if I was going 2 stroke. And if you do go with a larger motor and run into a slightly nose heavy situation(which always seems to happen regardless),try to make sure you get your landing gear to extend frontward as much as you can. I had to use shims when mounting my gear to keep the plane from "nosing over" during taxying and landings.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Missileman

I have to dissagree with Jester.
There is nothing to be gained by overpowering a warbird. The extra power is certainly not needed and it does have drawbacks.
It puts much more strain on the airframe and may require beefing up some areas, ie... more weight.
Add that to the extra weight of the engine itself (and counter weight if you want it balanced) and you are taking an airplane with a normally high wingloading and making it even higher.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Jester241

Most people do usually dissagree with me,lol....I should point out that my Hanger 9 p-51 which is exactly the same size 65.5" and weight is rated for a 2 stroke engine up to 1.00. Maybe this is because they are built different though. I did as Missleman pointed out strengthen her up a little bit when building it which added some weight,thus I was happy for the extra power,not to mention it has a fair amount of repair work from the previous owner that added some weight. I guess its better to have a bit extra power then not enough IMO. I do have another plane I fly much of the time (SU-31) that although my evolution .61 is more than what its minimum rating is,is underpowed at times depending on the weather that day. Guess thats why I tend to go for more power. Whatever you do decide,heres what my 1.20 4 stroke looks like.....and the rest of her!

Name:	Ec87979.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	786117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96735.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	786118  
Old 10-19-2007, 06:23 PM
bigtim

there is really several ways to go for the exhausts, theres the fake ones like the ones I have, there made by RCU member tonyhoward ,he makes a nice looking kit you need to assemble, it didnt take long and the instructions were clear and easy to follow there 30$shipped for the 60 size.
I think also a company called jtec makes some , but I am happy with the TH ones they screw to the cowl,I also strenthened the cowl at the screw holes and used Goop adhesive because they kept loosening up and were opening up the screw holes since then no problems at all.

then there is the Keleo exhaust system which work with 4st engines,its a working set of pipes that will bolt on to your 4st engine,he makes one for the OS91fs but I am sure he could fit a 120 also,the only draw back seems to be the clean up of your plane I think there about 120$ so there is a bit of a price difference .
http://www.keleo-creations.com/Mustang3/engines.htm

as for retracts the robart mechanicals will work with a little surgery, there quite a bit more rugged.
some guys have used robart air gear also.
I am still using the ones that came with the plane,I cant speak for the nitro gear,but for my H-9's I bent the struts they were pretty weak, when I bent them back I heat tempered them they stiffened up quite a bit.
I have been flying my H-9 for quite a while, and really like it, I can tell you first hand the 91fs works fine and has plenty of power, with a 120fs you going to have loads of extra juice to spare,if the nitro is as close to the H-9 as it looks then the extra power really isn't needed, and the thin tail is pretty weak on mine.a 75 2stshould do it.

oh! almost forgot here's a pilot figure I found that looks pretty sweet I did have to repaint a couple of things like the jacket and the mae west vest otherwise it looks good http://www.nitroplanes.com/rcmodelpilot5.html I liked it so much I got 2,I painted each a little differently, for the mustang, and the P-40.

Name:	Db85006.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	786146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77770.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	786147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22373.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	786148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36930.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	786149  
Old 10-19-2007, 06:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

I've been around a couple H9 P51's and they flew great with a solid mount Saito 100. Gear doors were trouble on them like was mentioned above.

There's no reason why a Saito 125 would not be a direct fit into one of the H-9 jobs?

The H-9 flies like it is lighter than some of the other P-51's around.

It's not over powered with the 100 and would not be with the 125 either.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:09 PM
capo915

Wow! That looks great bigtim! I personally like the fact you didnt put the "Marie" sticker on. I probably wont do it either. I just ordered the Nitro P-51 so Ill post some pictures when it arrives so you can see if its close to the H9 P-51. Im also looking for do-it yourself stickers and I know alot of people have been talking about them here so Im gonna look for it. I appreciate all the info you gave me and Ill be using it as I plan on trying to make it look scale with scale performance. Ill probably put the OS.91 4 stroke on it but something in me says try the .75 2 stroke. OS just came out with a new AX version of the .75 and the review is right here on rcuniverse. It pretty much says its great and I have a thing for new stuff(even though I just bought a WWII plane,go figure). In any event I should receive the plane sometime late nextweek and Ill try and post some stuff to see what you guys think.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:19 PM
bigtim

I guess all my posting wouldn't be complete without a close up of the tail wheel mod I did,I had a left over tail wheel from my Top Flight P-47 build I am doing(put a retractable one in it) and the TW on the H-9 just was toooooo! laim for me so I rigged this one up,it pretty much follows the TF method with couplers and a ball link, I did beef up the inside bottom of the fuse, the sheeting is pretty thin.
the side view photo of my take off shows the linkage somewhat.

Name:	Pn36536.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	786191  
Old 10-19-2007, 07:58 PM
w8ye

Neat job on the tail wheel. I thought the same as you and converted my tail wheel to the Sullivan 60 size set up with the spring link to the rudder.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:10 AM
bigtim

I think the ones supplied in the Top Flight kits are dubro,it was really all about doing it on the cheap, I am more into putting my dollars into my kits the ARF's are more about fun,one reason I havent switched out the retracts,its hard to spend as much on gear as the plane cost.
I am planning on building a P-51B/C model with the malcom hood canopy in a couple of years the kit is waiting on the shelf in line,behind my FockeWolf190A8,and my FW190D9 kits
in case any one reading this is interested I have a H-9 Marie listed for sale here on RCU
Old 10-20-2007, 02:34 AM
capo915

It looks like ur tailwheel is not attached to the rudder. How do you compensate?
Old 10-20-2007, 02:36 AM
capo915

Nevermind I see what you did. Nice job.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 AM
w8ye

The H-9 "Marie" in the 60 size has a none scale airfoil. I think the new airfoil gives the model its excellent flying characteristics? The model has more of a model airplane airfoil
Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 AM
capo915

Good morning all,

I just received my Nitroplanes P-51 and it looks fantastic! However I looked closer for inspection and one of the wings is cracked near the joining end for the other wing. Its cracked in a way where its simple to apply some epoxy or CA and it would work fine. What do you think I should do, call and get another part or just glue it back together. Its not a big piece and ill post some pictures later today so you can see. Im definitely going to call and report it anyway.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:25 AM
goirish

BigTim

This is a part for my P-51 but I don't know where it goes. The instructions are the pits!!! I think it is the Nitro model. Not sure--It came from a friend in a plane wrapper box. Almost made me feel illegal. I guess the name is "New in the Box" This part had 4 zip ties with it.

Name:	Wu61709.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	790045  
Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Cap915,
I would definitely call them, but...... Nitro Planes has developed a reputation for less than stellar service. Many people have complained about their service after the sale. I would call them, but in the end you may find that it will be easier to just fix the problem if you can. But give them a chance first. And who knows?? You may get lucky and they'll take care of you quickly.

Ken
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM
goirish

Take a look at my post 20 and if anyone knows what this is please let me know. Thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 12:24 PM
opjose

No don't bother calling them. You'll only get order takers.

Only John ( you can PM him here ) provides any sort of tech support, and he is not familiar with all of the planes.

Gorish:

Instead go to the ARF forum and either post or check the Nitroplanes support forum.

Also check this thread which goes into your plane's build:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3540166/anchors_3540166/mpage_1/key_Nitroplanes%252CP%252D51/anchor/tm.htm#3540166]CLICK ME![/link]

I don't see that part in any of the pictures from other people.

Given how it's cut and scored I'd venture to say that it' may be for the wing attachments.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM
capo915

Thanks for the info RCKen. Its not a big problem at all but I do want them to know just in case it becomes a bigger problem. As it stands its a marginal crack and the integrity of the wing looks to be fine. Would you glue it with EPOXY or CA?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:16 PM
capo915

Thanks OPJOSE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.