Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Expert Pilot

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Expert Pilot

Old 11-03-2007, 04:15 PM
2HI2C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert Pilot

I have been flying RC planes since the Mid 70s & was just wondering what it takes to become an Expert Pilot? Is it a title you give yourself or is it a title someone else gives you? Just asking.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:32 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Expert Pilot

Its what you want to become,self discipline and dedication and taking critisism well to better yourself.Some people are happy,at how they fly,and never work to improve.Others never cease to improve,and work endlessly to hit set targets and move toa new level.
Is there a pilot out there,that impresses you,one that makes you wish you could fly like that?
I know for me there is.
You like scale or aerobatics?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:42 PM
P-40 DRIVER

An expert pilot would never call themselves that. That is a title given by others. Thats the guy you hand your $10,000 scratch built airplane to, for the test flight knowing that if it crashes it won't be his fault.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:00 PM
dragnbye

i dont know if anyone you can be called a expert pilot. look at the pro's thery are allways trying new things always pushin them self more and more. you can never stop teaching yourself (or others). every time i fly i try to set a goal to do something if i hit that goal then good if not i kept trying.

not everyone can fly anthing or anystyle.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Dave trimmer

An expert would be defined by me as: anyone who has patience, can understand what is going on with any situation with out looking up their own butt for answeres and can give advice as well as being an exelent pilot.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dave trimmer

An expert would be defined by me as: anyone who has patience, can understand what is going on with any situation with out looking up their own butt for answeres and can give advice as well as being an exelent pilot.
I would say that you are right on the money.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2HI2C

I have been flying RC planes since the Mid 70s & was just wondering what it takes to become an Expert Pilot? Is it a title you give yourself or is it a title someone else gives you? Just asking.
There was another thread, someone asked this same question. I believe I responded to that one too.

I figure an expert is someone who is sought out by other people, to solve a problem - because that expert has the skills to solve the problem. Sound like somebody you know? Then, they're an expert in that area.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-03-2007, 06:56 PM
jetmech05

I agree an expert pilot never calls himself an expert......If you ever run into someone that says He's an expert pilot...run don't walk the other way
Old 11-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I agree an expert pilot never calls himself an expert......If you ever run into someone that says He's an expert pilot...run don't walk the other way
I disagree jetmech , this is the perfect time to grab the camera.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:17 PM
nitro wing

Then ,there is the other expert.The one that can understand the entire aircraft,including all the engines and electronics and controls,mixing and problem solving regarding flight behaviour and doing preflights and preventative maintenance.
One that can look at others aircraft,and locate possible issues and is safety oriented.
I consider an expert pilot someone,that rarely crashes and can fly a variety of aircaft in a safe and disciplined manner,one that can execute precision and grace and be of good company and help in the Pits.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Minnreefer

In some ways an expert would be someone that knows what he does not know, one can be and "expert" at training students but not the best flyer at the field, the best flyer may get a student in the air but not teach him much. That is just one example. In all I feel an expert can do just about fly anything and bring just about any plane down in one piece.

But I don't know, I am about as far away from an expert as one can be

Jon
Old 11-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Charlie P.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know a few. I'm not one. Expert can also mean in a specific pursuit. An expert pattern pilot may not be much at 3-D or pylon racing, etc. If you've won contests or events you've been so recognized by your peers and that would probably qualify you. But not every pilot competes.

Seen the video where the pilot looses a wing and still brings it in otherwise unharmed? He's an expert flyer but maybe forgot a wing bolt or stripped something out forcing a fastener or overstressed the airframe beyond design limits - so they cancel if that's the case.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:48 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Here on RCU, there are 4 catagories of pilots that you can choose from to describe yourself in your bio. Beginner, intermediate, advanced, and expert. I put expert. I didn't think it meant anything snotty. I thought it just meant that you know what you are doing and had a ton of experience doing it. If you have been flying since the 1970's, then I would say that you were probably an expert pilot. It doesn't need to mean anything arrogant. The person may or may not be arrogant. You don't need to walk around handing out advise. You don't need to do anything but smile and nod . The term just defines the level of skill and knowledge that a person has flying model airplanes.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:25 AM
jetmech05

You could have been on the buddy box with Wilbur and Orvil and still not be an expert pilot.....I've seen guys that have flown for years that still don't fly well...some train students very well..land a trainer with reversed ailerons..as you watch the approach you can't tell the ailerons are reversed...put anything but a trainer in their hands and it doesn't last long....so time in the air doesn't qualify or disqualify you as an expert.....
An expert never calls himself an expert, others may call himself that, but he doesn't...
Old 11-04-2007, 05:41 AM
CGRetired

Just as they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, well, the same thing applies to expert.

To a beginner, I look like an expert. To an expert, I look like a beginner. There is always someone out there that is better.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are no experts - only survivors.

John
Old 11-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: 2HI2C

Anybody who "uses" a Temp Gauge! Ask a guy sometime whe you see him pointing that thing at his engine. Ask him what the temp is and he'll tell you. Then ask what its suppose to be and its like listening to a 30 minute infomercial and he'll tell you everything but what is suppose to be. He can't tell you what its suppose to be because there are not specs for it and he doesn't want to look like the fool he is for taking a readin on something that does not exist!

As far as what I call myself, thats for others to decide. If they feel I am good enough to ask me to fly their plane and i refuse 99% of the time, they now know that not only and i pretty good at it but smart.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:46 PM
bobmac010

There are so many aspects to model aviation that there is no way to classify an "Expert" in model aviation.
You can have an Expert in Aeronautics, an Expert in Engine tuning, and expert in Avionics, (radios), an expert pilot, etc.

Anyone that claims to be an expert in model aviation is tooting his own horn.
There are a lot of people, like myself, that know a lot about aviation, and models, but to generalize an expert, it cannot be done with the human of today...

I agree with jetmech05. The only expert is one that others seek out for assistance.
Not one that says he/she is an expert.
Heck, If that were so, then I AM an Expert too!!!

Bob