Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

e-bay Special am I out of line?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

e-bay Special am I out of line?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:33 PM
jbracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-bay Special am I out of line?

Purchased a Saito 65 on eBay for around 70 Bucks shipped, here is the Add,

(This is a used Saito 65 four stroke model airplane engine. It runs strong, but this motor could probably use a rebuild. Secondly, there is a small crack in crank case just under the Saito logo on the side. I've included a picture of this crack. Please note, this motor does not come with a muffler or prop washer and nut. However, it does come in a protective Saito box for shipping, with a manual. I bench tested this motor after I removed it from a plane I got from a swap meet but never installed it on a plane. But it ran on the bench. Like I said, this is not a new motor, and it will need some TLC to get it proper for flight.)

Upon receiving the motor I turned it over by hand, found it to have compression but found a loose spot (excessive play)., so i torr it down for inspection.

Here is what I found;
Crankcase did have a small crack- probably from broken rod but reparable.
Piston had a broken skirt
Cylinder has some noticeable wear on side- due to running with broken skirt?
Camshaft missing 3 complete teeth
crankshaft missing a partial tooth.
Connecting rod looked like it was in a explosion at one time, bent, wore, and beaten.

I notified seller about the condition of the motor and he said he did not no of the condition and wold like to help out. I replied nicely asked if He could possibly give a small refund such as $25 to help out on the rebuild.

He then declined on giving any help stating it was not his fault that I paid to much for this engine.

Was I wrong to ask for a small refund?

Old 11-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Bad_Daddy

Default RE: e-bay Special am I out of line?

I would rate him as a low-life scum-sucking diseased chicken-rapist who knowingly sells his broken junk on eBay. Then I'd report him to eBay's ethics committee (whatever they call it) to be sure they pressured the low-life S.O.B. until he paid restitution to you or he dropped into an open cesspool, to become lost among his fellow kind.
[>:][:'(][>:][:'(]
Old 11-17-2007, 05:43 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes!

You should have asked for all your money back

There is nothing left of much good about the engine. It will cost you more to purchase the defective parts you mentioned than to buy a new engine.

If it was in that bad of shape he had to have known it was defective before he put it up for sale.

I would contact E-Bay about fraud?
Old 11-17-2007, 05:43 PM
dragnbye

thats the prolbem wuth ebay he said in the ad that it needed rebuilt if it ran you you got it your *ucked but if it didnt then you can try to get paypal to refund becuse he said it ran . I NEVER WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT THE FISRT PLACE THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Bad_Daddy

Do you have the jerk's email address? Just post it here, and I'm sure some enterprising individuals could find a way for him to experience the joys of being "known" by every spambot on the face of the globe.
And maybe a few (thousand) of the readers here could send him a little "love note" or two, to express our displeasure with his ethics and treatment of a fellow flier.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry about this happening to you. But for $70 it's a cheep lesson in the scope of what you will spend in the future on this hobby. The kind of damage described in the ad indicated severe damage to the engine. I have explored the possibilities of repairing a worn out old Saito in the past myself, a .91. I concluded that it would cost me more than it was worth so I sold it here on RCU for $75 and it was bought within one hour of posting the ad. The buyer was happy and left me apropriate feedback even stating the engine was better than described. My engine had no cracks anywhere and I felt it was good for parts and that is how I sold it. I think maybe you bought this engine with your expectations set above the description or did not recognize what trauma the engine must have suffered to endure a crack in the location described.

I am suprised the seller offered any help at all. I would calmly ask him what he had in mind. No, a $25 refund would not be to much to ask for but based on his description of the engine I don't see him being responsible to do so. Yes, you were taken advantage of but only because you did not know any better. Perhaps you could dissassemble the engine and sell it for parts and recover more than you spent or at least some of it. Or if you have an artistic side hit that sucker with a 5 pound sledge and mount the peices to a polished plack with an engraving saying "Crashing sucks!" and sell it for $100 on the bay as art
Old 11-17-2007, 06:14 PM
draftman1

that sucks. I had a couple of bad engines and kits also. one guy sent another engine with a pair that I bought, my fault, I didnt read the small print. I did manage to get them going but it cost almost as much as a new engine. the engine he threw in was better than the ones I bought. I bought a coulpe of kits also,one was ok because it had the planes I was needing, but the wood and parts were from something else. the other kit had nothing to do with the glider I bought that was addvertised. the box was full of wood though and the seller refunded the money. I didnt ask for it but he did it anyway. I am an e-bay junky but I will never buy engines again
Old 11-17-2007, 06:35 PM
haasjj

Just one more reason why I will never buy on E Bay there are just to many junk sellers that sell their crap and then wonder why your mad.

BTW no you were not out of line asking for $25 dollars back and IMO you were to nice I would have told him you needed a full refund then after he rebuilt the engine you might consider buying it.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:52 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

watch out for the estate sale ads and the ones that say I know nothing about this most know more than they let on.Soeey to hear of your misfortune but when bidding assume the worst and bid accordingly.the head assembly and carb and crank could be sold as a parts lot and you could get most of your money reciouped that way.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:11 PM
w8ye

The head is not any good. This engine has a one piece head/cylinder assembly and he said the cylinder was all scored from the thrown rod.

The crank is not any good because it is missing teeth from the machined on gears that drive the camshaft.

The cam is not any good it is missing teeth on the gear

The crankcase has a hole in it.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Missileman

Sadly when you buy anything used, unless a specific waranty is stated, you are buying "as is".
You may not be happy and I wouldn't either but I believe you are stuck with it.
Buying anything an Ebay requires absolute thorough checking on both the item and seller.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:38 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

that person left a lot open for deception for anyone be it a newbee or someone with more knowledge. you can report him to eBay but I think if he wouldn’t give you 25 back he is not going to offer anything at all. I would ask for a total refund like wy8e suggested and also give him negative feedback if he doesn't.that in itself would be enough for someone else to look second at a person like this, but at your expense.it sounds like he overheated that engine I have seen several 150's with the same damage 30%fuel and run too lean. that engine is nothing but a paper weight now. if for nothing else chalk it up to experience.good luck dealing with someone like this
Old 11-17-2007, 08:48 PM
bruce88123

Just from what he DID say in the ad, it would have been a "No Buy" for me. Basically he told you it was damaged and now you are mad because he was right? Sounds like he got it along with a plane when he bought the plane and MIGHT not have known ALL of the problems. Now YOU do.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:55 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand why you are complaining about this one. It said very clearly it was used, he bought it that way, it had a cracked case, and multiple other problems. Anyone who bids a lot on that engine based on the write up has to realize they are taking a chance. Used is used, if the case is cracked, you know darn well the insides have a major problem. Why would you buy it?

I could see if he had hid the damage from you that you would be mad, but not in this case. Any respectfull seller would have given a refund but you have many that are not respectfull on ebay. Thats why you don't buy used unless you know the condition 100%!
Old 11-17-2007, 09:11 PM
RaceCraftRC

Hmmmm that sucks hard man i use ebay only on things that are listed as nib but theres an old saying if it sounds to good to be true it probable is but i would think any reputable seller would be happy to give you your money back if you used paypal you can complane about the seller if you think the item was miss represented but most of the time you are just burned. be sure to leave negative feedback . sorry man
Old 11-17-2007, 09:21 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

Here's another old saying for You, "Buyer beware"

john
Old 11-17-2007, 09:28 PM
btoby

if you have a really small boat .it would make an awesome anchor!
Old 11-17-2007, 09:51 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with some of the above
Why would you pay someone 70$ for a damaged incomplete engine that has stated issues and possibly has more hidden things that the other owner was aware of?
I would only buy a used engine that I've seen at a field,installed and flown in the previous owners plane.Hope you dont get sucked into another bad buy.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You walked right into that one. Sorry about your loss, but thats exactly what it is--a LOSS. You bid too much on a wrecked engine and now your upset that it's MORE wrecked than you anticipated. Tough luck. The guy owes you nothing. He told you about the crack in the case--that should have been a MAJOR hint that it was in very poor shape.

Chock it up to "learning lessons in life" and don't do it again. $70 is $70--- but thats CHEAP in this hobby.

Now learn from your mistake and dont do it again. If you left this guy with negative feedback --I'd say you were dead wrong. He TOLD you it was wrecked and needed serious help to make it run good. He shipped it to your house in a timely manner. If he didn't, you would have told us that in your first post. You're just experiencing a little buyers remorse because you bid too much for it.

Sorry to be so hard on ya, but thats the way I see it.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:07 AM
w8ye

As many things that are bad about this engine, I get the idea it was a collection of junk parts from more than one engine?

The cam drive gear problem is inconsistent with the thrown rod syndrome?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:24 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to share my only ebay burn with you just to show you we all do it and learn from it. I have done thousands of sales and buys on ebay. Hate to tell you what I have spent on there this year alone.

A long time ago, when I was fairly new, I bought a helicopter from a crook who had no feedback, no pictures and listed it as "Xcell 60 helicopter, needs a few parts, flew good".

It came in a small priority mail box about 8 inches by 8 inches. There was not one useable part in it. Even the engine was broken in half. I tried to get the money back but had used a cashiers check to get it. I felt I got burned, and by his post, I really did, but I had to chalk it up to TUITION. Crummy way to be, but I have never been burned again. There are lots of ways around it.

If in doubt, ask questions, get pictures, and I have them take pictures with a coin of my choice placed where I tell them to place them so I know the picture is real. I have actually used that one a few times.

It bites to get burned on something, but you have to do your part and not set yourself up. We all have done it at one time. Move on and don't let yourself suck into any more bad deals. Make sure you are dealing with good sellers and be a good seller if you are selling.

Sorry you lost on that one. Make the best of it.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

From the description in the original ad I personally wouldn't have bought it in the first place. You did, and now you are stuck with it. Take your medicine and chalk it up to experience. Next time don't buy unless some guarantee goes with the purchase." You pays your money and you takes your chances."

CAVEAT EMPTOR
Old 11-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Insanemoondoggie

ORIGINAL: w8ye

As many things that are bad about this engine, I get the idea it was a collection of junk parts from more than one engine?

The cam drive gear problem is inconsistent with the thrown rod syndrome?
Maybe a valve stuck open and the piston gave it a little love tap ?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:51 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are we talking about here?
the OP doesn't even have the decency to talk back with all who have replied.
i am sorry however to see that someone who is a modeler got burned, but in reality, the ebayer posted enough info that should have steered anyone away........i'm suprised the engine even fetched more than $10.00....................
i have bought several used OS engines as of late, and all of them were better than described, but i also checked out the seller's history. did i pay too much?......for one of them i feel i did, but i wanted a Gold headed OS 61FSR, and i got it...................now that i have it, i will probably sell it, but i don't expect to get as much as i paid for it...........but i will not burn anyone in the process.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:01 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

I've gotte shafted enought times (twice) to know that Ebay is not what they sell it to be. You deal with people you don't know and probably should not trust.

You're much better off dealing with people in your club that you know and will back up what they sell or be truthful about what they sell.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

CGr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.