Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

rudders

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

rudders

Old 12-16-2007, 04:45 PM
chrisp32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rudders

lots of people on here are talking about learning to use rudders but im wondering what are the things about rudders to learn? like when should and shouldn't they be used? i like to watch people fly and that helps me learn a little but it is only the noticable inputs that i can pick up on and not usually the rudder unless im watching 3d i would appreciate some advice thanks.

chris
Old 12-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: rudders

The only time I use the Rudder is ground steering on takeoff or preforming a "Stall Turn" maneuver. Some say to steer the plane while on final approach... This just messes me up ! I line up using the ailerons and throttle... If I had to think about the Rudder too, Id be all over the runway ![X(] LOL!
But that's just me !
Ugo
Old 12-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

There are 100 different things you use the rudder for but as a beginner you should only be concerning yourself with the basics involved. Your instructor should be telling you how to add in rudder in a turn when necessary and maybe how to counter side winds and counter with the ailerons. (Crabbing) Other then that I wouldn't worry about it in the air. RCKen would probably be better qualified then me (read that as definately) to tell you what you need to know about them. If you have an instructor you are working with they would know better then anyone here what to teach you about them and when to teach it to you. They may even get upset if start telling them what you learned on here about flying.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:05 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

This is an ongoing discusion in the forums. It seems there are two schools of though here. Some instructers teach aileron, elevator and leave the rudder alone. Other instructers teach to use the rudder as if it had and invisable link to the aileron stick. You can do a roll with elevator only or with ailerons only BUT you can make a big ol' trainer do an axial roll with rudder and aileron together. Elevator also in the roll to keep the nose up as you become inverted. Try flying as if the link was in place between the two sticks, less input will be required. Your turns will be smoother especially in wind. many airplanes such as Cubs won't fly for beans without rudder.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:39 PM
jetmech05

Rudder will come to you, just get 3 mistakes high and play with it..best pratice is a side slip where you apply opposite aileron to the rudder the aircraft turns sideways a little and airspeed drops alot..a little rudder goes along way...too much rudder while trying to side slip will result in a roll....next thing you know you will be "kicking" out the crab on a cross wind landing
Old 12-17-2007, 04:50 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

The best way to learn rudder control.. and learning it makes you a MUCH better flyer... is to buy a foamie that will take a beating and just fly rudder, elevator..... it helps your turns look more controlled and less axial... also helps in landing with crosswinds..... if you want to try some 3d... you have to know how to control the rudder... why not use it if it's there ?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:47 PM
red head

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another good practice with the rudder is to get your plane up in the wind and start kiting it, then start only using the rudder and elevator to keep your headings. This gives you practice in fine tuning your control sticks and teaches rudder use, and it's high enough that you shouldn't get in trouble, besides that it's FUN !!! ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-17-2007, 10:02 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with the pro-rudder crowd, of course.

Once you are flying more than just slow, lazy circles in a general pattern...the rudder will be your most-used control surface. It keeps your lines straight in wind, it can flatten or increase the bank of turns, it makes KE's possible and it is absolutely necessary for ANY type of aerobatics.