Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever fly alone???

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Anyone ever fly alone???

Old 02-18-2008, 10:45 PM
honkhntr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever fly alone???

My screwy work schedule makes my available flight time vary alot, and of course my buddies who fly aren't always available... I am toying with the idea of a Solo trip to the field... Anyone else fly solo???

Josh
Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Bad_Daddy

Default RE: Anyone ever fly alone???

Many of us have flown alone, some nearly always.
If you do, just remember to be careful and take your time. It's a long drive to the doctor if you have one hand wrapped in a makeshift bandage with the end of your finger in your shirt pocket.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Campgems

Flying alone is not a good idea. We had an incident at the field last Sunday where a guy really screwed up his hand in a prop. The last report was that he may have full use back in six months on the three fingers he tore up. He wasn't alone at the time, but can you imagine trying to pack up and get yourself to the hospital with three fingers cut to the bone. At least with some one with you, they could call for help if you got hurt if not get you to help, or take care of your equipment for you.

Our field in in grazing land and there are ground squirrel hole that are big enough and deep enough that one could break a leg stepping into one. Chasing a downed plane can be a dangerious task due to them and again breaking a leg or twisting an ankle when alone would be bad news.

Find someone to fly with you. Maybe that kid down the street that has been admiring your planes.

Don
Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 PM
rc_monster

I fly my sim alone [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 02-18-2008, 11:24 PM
fozjared

due to my schedule i fly alone very frequently. when i am by myself out there i always make sure to have my cell phone in my pocket so i can call my wife to meet me at the hospital or pick me up if i cant drive and i can call a club member that lives nearby to come and pick up my stuff.. i kinda planned this stuff out since i do fly alone, i am always careful, but even moreso when i am alone, i slow down and think about every move before i make it!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 PM
GrrlsFly!

I fly alone every time. I prefer it like that. Just me and the field and the plane. I'm really careful, think about every step before I do it, keep a cell phone on me, and make sure to work behind the plane when tuning. Not worried at all. Flying alone is the best. I can't stop doing everything else in life out of fear of being alone and not having anyone around to help.

I have a real problem with "needing" someone to accompany me anywhere or with anything.

I solve it by being careful, using good judgement, and doing what the heck I want.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 AM
ninja1092

I almost always fly alone just be careful and everything should be fine. Just keep a phone close at hand.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:20 AM
piroflip2

the thought of having a midair with my one of my pattern ships makes me sneek to the field on my own early doors.
I am VERY careful to keep fingers away from the prop.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I fly alone on occassion. Like the others, I have a routine that I follow very carefully from a safety perspective. We are lucky in that our field has a neighbor very close to the pit area, so in the event something really horrible were to happen, they could probably help. On the other hand, drive to the field is probably far more dangerous.

I do not recommend a beginner fly alone. They don't have the experience to have built up a safety routine. And its usually more fun with a few people there anyway.

Brad
Old 02-19-2008, 06:16 AM
Witterings

Virtually all of the time, I can get to the field which is 2 mins from home on the way to work in the morning at 8.15am and before the wind has come up, fly 3 batteries and be at my desk for 9.10am. If I went to the club, they don't start till 10.00am, you feel obliged to let other people fly in between your batteries etc, the whole things a 3 hr turnaround by the time you've left work driven there chatted to the guys etc, it's simply a matter of getting quality flying time in !!!!!!!!!
Even the BMFA handbook, whilst it advises against mobile phones to eliminate any possible interference does advise if you're flying alone to have one with you in case !!!!!!!!
Whilst probably best to have it switched off in your pocket you can wrap the receiver and a few cm's down the servo/ aerial leads with aluminium kitchen foil which eliminates any mobile interference anyway.
Don't get me wrong about the club by the way, I really enjoying talking to the others, seeing their planes and enjoy watching flying almost as much as I do flying myself, collectively there's also so much help and advice from them but sometimes with work and having a family it's not always practicle.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:24 AM
TCrafty

The first year I started flying, I really had the bug. I went out to the field very early in the morning almost every day before work. For a year or so (living in Fl helps with the snow removal in the winter months but I digress), I would typically get there a good hour or so before anyone else would show up. I was always mindful to tie down or use stakes to hold down the airplane. I don't recommend rope and I REALLY dont recommend bungie cords because they can still allow the plane to move. I always use stakes in the ground in front of the elevator, that way, I know that the plane won't go any further forward. Like everyone has said, get a safe routine and stick with it. I've seen guys messing with planes in an almost nervous manner. When they go to start it, I typically don't watch. If you slow down, you may actually be farther ahead in the long run.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 AM
nhblacksmith

Shortly after I got my wings last fall I discovered that solo dawn flights were the absolute best time to polish my recently acquired skills. Beautiful light, no wind, deer and bear feeding in the far edge of the meadow, and an obstruction-free runway to practice those "greaser" landings. I used to do a hundred or more touch and go's several times a week. Sure you have to exercise caution, but the risks are no greater (and maybe less) than with a field full of flyers. Unfortunately we have been indoctrinated into a "nanny society" where we think we need others to look out for us. Just be careful and have fun. Worst case scenario...everyone has to die of something and an accident at the field beats lingering cancer in a bed-at least in my book.

Neal
Old 02-19-2008, 07:10 AM
da Rock

Anyone ever fly alone?
Yup, and I cut the grass alone. And clip the hedge alone. And operate the tools in my shop alone. And often take the greatest chance of all, almost the greatest risk we face in the world today, I've driven my car alone.

Honest, lot's of things in life are a risk. But flying alone isn't one of the big ones. That is, if you're competent enough to drive to the field alone.

And we choose to do things at least as risky (or safe) all the time, after we consider the value of the activity versus the risk.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 AM
da Rock

Should we be sensible about what we do in everyday life?

You betcha.

If you're a newbie at flying, and have a history of hurting yourself, you'd best never fly alone. If you're a newbie and never hurt yourself when handling power tools and such that are new to you, then don't fly alone right off the bat. Go fly at a club field. I guarantee you will see some things you won't want to do yourself, alone or with others. But it'll give you a better understanding of what to think about.

So if you're a newbie of any type, check out a club field first thing.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
flyX

if possiable try to take someone with you.
I've done it many times due to schedules. it's actaully peaceful for me after a hard day's work.
Totally silent out in the middle of nowhere..i can almost meditate if it wasn't for the mesquitos
attracted to the nitro resedue on my skin.

Sometimes on sundays, the field is just too busy which I've found just as equally dangerouse..or more.

I made a model hold down or retainer to give me and extra hand during start up.
it's just a stake Y shape. During start up ..that's when I'm most vaunable
Old 02-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Wild Foamy

i can fly alone but you dont really get the same atmosphere, sure you can practice your maneuvors without people watching you, and its less embarrising when it goes wrong!

being 15 i dont have a car, so whatever i want to fly has to be shoehorned into a Peugeot 406, this also means my dad is always with me which isnt always a good thing as hes not exactly a patient man (usually when im inspecting a fuel leak or if something isnt working he responds by saying "Stop messing around and get it in the air!")

but as mentioned above, if you take your time and use your head you shouldnt have any problems, much of it is common sense
Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I fly alone pretty often. In fact, one small club I belong to has only 10 members, of which maybe 3 (including me) are active, so I'm almost always alone when I fly there. I fly mainly 60 size and smaller planes, and make sure I have a very secure hold-back for the plane when starting (a couple of stakes driven into the ground to hold back the wing, not the tail). I also make sure I have my cell phone on me at all times. After flying for a couple years, I'm confident I can keep myself pretty safe flying on my own. When I was first starting out, I couldn't say that.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Thumprding

Yes I have and still do and that is how I basically learned to fly. I have flown for years and the worst I have been hurt is muffler burn or a knuckle prop bite when trying to adjust a needle valve. Both sort of sting a little. I also have never had a flying issue with a plane flying off or going where it should not or anything else where some one else was needed.

Like I said flying alone is how I learned to fly. After my instructor gave me the good to go stamp I flew when ever I could. Some times I flew with a member or two but most times I flew alone. While following all the club rules I spent many an afternoon and evening flying my trainer until I bascially got bored with it. I then built a ACE 4-40 got check out again and with that plane taught myself how to fly.

Flying alone I find relaxing and enjoyable. I can fly at my own pace, how I want to fly and when I want to fly and so forth.

The down side to flying alone
1. Finding a downed plane by yourself is hard.
2. You can get lax on the club rules.
3. You never really learn to follow a pattern.
4. You do not learn how to fly with others.
5. No one there for safety just incase you do get hurt.
6. No one there to help fix stuff
7. And so on
Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
qwerty3

I fly alone frequently, and enjoy it. I don't have to wait for others, no distractions, etc. You do need to be extra safety-conscious, though. The only time I've gotten hurt (once) with a model was when I was at the field with a large group: one careless & distracted moment while hand-launching a 'STEPS' airplane.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:50 PM
flyX

The only time I gotten hurt was very early on in my R/C adventure was at home.
I purchased one of those ARF with an engine.
The engine had a built in PULL START.
Guess what ???..it pulled my fingers back to the prop too.[:@]
i almost lost three.

I'm glad they don't make stupid comtraptions like that anymore.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 PM
on pipe

I get a belly full of people all week at work, so when I go fly it's alone on purpose. The last thing I want is some old fart flapping his gums at me, discussing the weather. I have old cars as well, and feel the same way about car shows. Just a whole bunch of jaw-jackin going on. As far as I'm concerned talk is cheap and time is money, and I want to maximize my fun time off the clock. Oh yes, and for you safety nuts, I also run with the scissors every chance I get. (and watch TV with the lights off) [X(]Ross
Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM
frenchie79

ORIGINAL: rc_monster

Some of the greatest plessures in life are done when your alone-hmm Reminds me of the first time I had sex!
Old 02-19-2008, 04:08 PM
pkevinb

I fly alone, yeah
With nobody else
I fly alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I fly alone
I prefer to be by myself
Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 PM
troposcuba

ORIGINAL: pkevinb

I fly alone, yeah
With nobody else
I fly alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I fly alone
I prefer to be by myself
sing it goerge! that is pretty funny right there.

fwiw, i fly alone too. I surf alone too. I even surfed alone in huge surf over live coral in costa rica miles from anything and anyone except my wife on the beach. I am quite sure that if anything went wrong, there is no way she could have swam out and saved me. I like to scuba dive too (done that alone at night!) and ride a streetbike and dirt bike (alone as well)

like mentioned earlier, things in life worth doing can be risky sometimes. all it takes is a little common sense and thinking about what you are doing and weighing the risk against the benefit. just think about what you are doing, be careful (more than normal) and you should be fine. oh yeah, and if i ever did find myself in the situation where i needed to go to the hospital because of something i did at the flying field, packing up a couple hundred $$ worth of plane and equipment would be the last of my concerns. I would come back for it later and hope it was still there after they re-attached my fingers!!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:42 PM
KWJ48

ORIGINAL: frenchie79

ORIGINAL: rc_monster

Some of the greatest plessures in life are done when your alone-hmm Reminds me of the first time I had sex!
Dude!! LOL! [sm=lol.gif]

Lefty or Righty?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.