Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

electric or nitro?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

electric or nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 05:43 AM
glennnn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric or nitro?

im a big fan of rc racing but infortunately am not the most patient person in the world with tinkering and fixing nitro motors wchich raises my attention. can anyone give me any valueable input as to ups and downs to off roading with electrics?

tnks in advance
Old 03-07-2002, 04:08 PM
Blackie

You know glennn when I started in the world of RC I went to the local meets and watched the racing but after I found out the work and bench time that the nitro required I elected to go to electric. To this day I have only put around 8 hours on that car as I quickly migrated over to planes and I am having a much greater blast at flying then the simple two channel radio that are required on the cars.

Blackie
Old 03-17-2002, 01:40 AM
hollewud7

well your right that nitro requires more tuning and maintanance, but i am a firm believer nitro is better in Rc cars, boats, planes and anything
Old 03-19-2002, 03:38 AM
nfosec

Yes, nitro takes more tinkering. There is a solution though. Buggies and trucks powered by .21s are known to be a lot easier to tune, as the engine is more flexible. Electrics are nice for being quiet and no-fuss, but lack some of the appeal of a nitro RC. Acceleration and braking are much more 'scale' with nitros. Unless you have multiple packs, you'll have to wait for batteries to charge between runs. But no castor oil mess or burning eyes. Plus you can run indoors if you have a big place to do so. Electrics have more torque but less speed generally. I run nitro on all my buggies and trucks, but electric on my park flyer and hydro boat.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:31 PM
hinracer

As said before, but it u wana just go and have some good fun w/o the trouble go with electric... only 1 thing elecrics are not as fast as nitro but electric is cheaper than nitro...
Old 03-23-2002, 12:55 AM
mirzabrcko

Is there realy that much work on the nitro. Can I do it as a Beginner
Old 03-24-2002, 03:28 PM
nfosec

Well, all of us were beginners at one time. With the wealth of information and help available on the web, and (hopefully) some support from your LHS, nitro isn't something to be afraid of. Most of the nitro RCs out there include some info in the documentation to help you get started. If you want nitro, get nitro. We'll all be here for help if you need it.