Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

f-27 (not f-27c) as a first plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

f-27 (not f-27c) as a first plane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:44 AM
pimpin.dre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f-27 (not f-27c) as a first plane?

Ok, so i hate to be the newbie and ask all the dumb questions that have been asked a million times before, but i have looked around and cant find an answer to my question.

I am looking at getting my first plane, and some guys down at the local park suggested a large foamie to start with, as they can take a bit more of a pounding that other things. From looking around here, and other places, i put together that the f-27 stryker is a pretty tough little cookie, and can take a fair whack into the ground.
what i have also put together is that they are pretty easy to buy parts for and to modify.

i have never flown a real plane before, but have played plenty of video games, so i understand a fair bit about the mechanics of flight and being used to a joystick etc. (yes i AM aware how naieve that sounds, but i needed to say it somehow).

Oh, and the other thing is that there is the much faster version, the f-27c.

i am looking at the slower version tho- the f-27 stryker.

i was wondering what you guys though of this? from what i was told, buying a larger more simplistic plane is the way to go, and provided im not zooming around at full-throttle to start off with, do you think this would be ok?

please forgive my ignorance, as i say, this is my first ever venture into RC planes.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:01 AM
alan0899

Default RE: f-27 (not f-27c) as a first plane?

G'day Mate,
Do yourself a favour, & find a club in your area, there are hobby shops in Adelaide that you can ask for directions to a club, ask lots of questions & take the advice given, ask an instructor to help you no matter what plane you get, & that will save the plane driving itself into the dirt on the first flight.
This is not a cheap hobby/sport, but it can be a lot cheaper to get good advice, from someone that knows how to fly. than some dill at a local park.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:04 AM
pimpin.dre

Nah, thanks mate. thats really good advice, i hadn't thought of it that way.

Thankyou
Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 AM
microsprint9

The Stryker was my first plane, it took a while to finally get used to it, but once you do it's no problem, you can crash this thing many times, just keep some packing tape and CA on hand for quick repairs. My first fuse had been broken so many times it's not funny but it still flew, once i was used to flying it i bought a new $20 fuse and moved all the parts over, it's pretty cheap learning.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:29 AM
RockEnRoller6

Save yourself the 150 smackers and dont buy this as your first plane, the stryker is very quick to respond to the slightest control movements, something the new pilot is not going to be used to. Its not going to correct iteslf like a trainer will if to much control input is given. Depending on if you want to go electric or nitro, there are many models available to you. Since you mentioned the stryker and it being electric ,might I suggest the hobby zone super cub! Great little plane for the new pilot and its very forgiving as well, and its not going to break the bank! Heres a link to my favorite online dealer of electric flyers. http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_h..._super_cub.htm Believe me you will not be disappointed with the super cub! Good luck and keep us informed on which bird you choose! Good luck!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 AM
pimpin.dre

Thankyou! I've spent alot of time at work today researching (haha, dont tell anyone) and i think i might go for the super cub. Amazingly, i made that descision before i even read your post, so its even more reassuring!
I was thinking about going and getting one tomorrow, but its really windy, and i know i wont be able to resist trying it. So i'm going to make myself wait (unless its really really still for some unkown reason :P)

i have done some playing around with painting foam, and i've found that the small tamiya spray cans i have dont eat the paint. Does anyone know if this is the same with all of their color range?

Thanks for your Quick and helpful reply
Old 02-22-2008, 06:33 AM
acarter

ORIGINAL: pimpin.dre

Thankyou! I've spent alot of time at work today researching (haha, dont tell anyone) and i think i might go for the super cub. Amazingly, i made that descision before i even read your post, so its even more reassuring!
I was thinking about going and getting one tomorrow, but its really windy, and i know i wont be able to resist trying it. So i'm going to make myself wait (unless its really really still for some unkown reason :P)

i have done some playing around with painting foam, and i've found that the small tamiya spray cans i have dont eat the paint. Does anyone know if this is the same with all of their color range?

Thanks for your Quick and helpful reply
The super Hobbyzone super cub would be a great choice.

Austin
Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 PM
opjose

There are MANY alternatives to the 3CH cub that may be better suited for you as a trainer.

Check the other thread where I've been accused of "bashing" the cub as a trainer, where you can find links to some better alternatives.

There are also 3ch planes that can start out with 3ch and come already set up so that you can easily add aileron control later, if you want to take this route.

However remember that most non-delta winged RC planes feature aileron controls, so a 3ch starter is not going to teach you to fly well. At the worst a plane that is already set up for the conversion, may be a better choice.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:53 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Sorry! Those hobby-zone plastic electric models are not that good! I have flown most of them when newbeis have visited our club.
Those models are too small! Too sensitive to wind and are powered by outdated brushed electric motors with not that much power.The best advise you have got here is to contact your local R/C club and get a .40 size glow engine trainer like the Kyosho Calmato .40 trainer and get help flying it!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:03 PM
RockEnRoller6

Indeed I agree with all of your about the cub, yet its going to be great for him, maybe he doesnt have a club near his area, or he doesnt feel the need to spend over 200 or 300 dollars for a nitro trainer now and he wants to get the feel for flying UNTIL he learns the basics and wants to upgrade to a new model. The cub is great for learning on, yes its plastic and things WILL break but thats the great thing about a cheap plane! Parts are VERY inexpensive! Yes and there are many models available besides the cub that you could look for, but I dont care what anyone says about the hobby zone/parkzone birds, yes they may be made cheap but I myself own 2 parkzone birds and 1 hobbyzone bird and after two years I still choose to fly my Pz and Hz birds over some of my other high end models! You will not be disappointed with the cub believe me!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Yaniel

i learned on a stryker. keep a lot of glue handy and before you first flight reinforce the entire leading edge and motor mount area with packing tape. the plane is not easy to fly, but its easy to fix and can handle a decent amount of wind so you wont be grounded as much.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 PM
RockEnRoller6

Agree, did you use the plane jane styrker or the stryker C? I have flown the PNP stryker C and its an amazing flyer. Would love to get one but I cant afford it right now.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Yaniel

learned on a regular stryker, after it was more glue than foam i moved up to an f27c and after a year its completely repairless.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: RockEnRoller6

Indeed I agree with all of your about the cub, yet its going to be great for him, maybe he doesnt have a club near his area, or he doesnt feel the need to spend over 200 or 300 dollars for a nitro trainer
I have seen this reply from a number of people. Not just the cost of a nitro trainer but other threads discussing better electric trainers and I scartch my head???
PEOPLE the HobbyZone Super Cub is $170. where exactly is the savings considering you can't reuse the electronics from the Super Cub in a future model.
You can put a good ARF package together for about the same price and get much better radio gear that can be used again in a future model.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Yaniel

ORIGINAL: Missileman

Indeed I agree with all of your about the cub, yet its going to be great for him, maybe he doesnt have a club near his area, or he doesnt feel the need to spend over 200 or 300 dollars for a nitro trainer
I have seen this reply from a number of people. Not just the cost of a nitro trainer but other threads discussing better electric trainers and I scartch my head???
PEOPLE the HobbyZone Super Cub is $170. where exactly is the savings considering you can't reuse the electronics from the Super Cub in a future model.
You can put a good ARF package together for about the same price and get much better radio gear that can be used again in a future model.

some of us are hooked, but some dont get hooked. some cant see spending 300 or 400 dollars for equipment on a hobby they're not sure they'll continue in.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
RockEnRoller6

I agree with Yainel, I myself dont have that kind of money, I just finished my tower trainer and I had most of my radio gear given to me by my uncle, all futaba minus my radio. He also supplied my with my engine. From that I spent 70 on my ARF model, another 60 on field supplies, 25 for my crystals, and around 30 for various building supplies and other items. That total comes to 185, andl I didn't have to buy my radio gear or my engine which cut the cost in half. So yeah I can see where it makes since to by a good RTF package for 150 if its not going to be a continuing hobby as Yainel specified.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: Yaniel

ORIGINAL: Missileman

some of us are hooked, but some dont get hooked. some cant see spending 300 or 400 dollars for equipment on a hobby they're not sure they'll continue in.
Wait a minute, I didn't say 300 or 400. I said you can put an electric package together for near the $200 mark and since the Super Cub is $170 with throw away electronics even if you don't get hooked at least you will have radio gear that you can sell on Ebay and get some of your money back.
The Hobbico Electricstar sells for $200 with Futaba radio gear.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKYK3&P=7
You still need a battery and charger that you can get cheap on Ebay but you have radio gear with a resell value at least $75 Probably more, heck it has a 45 amp ESC, you can get at least $25 to $30 just for that alone not to mention the brushless motor.
Once you trash the Super Cub what have you got left to sell? maybe the battery and charger? Not much else.
Then, in the off chance you do decide you like flying all you need is a cheap ARF when you are ready tp upgrade and you already have the gear to put in it.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:34 AM
RockEnRoller6

I would figure by then, if he has decided to stay in the hobby he would have been saving up money for his next bird. I'm not going to get in a disagreement about why or why not he should by the cub. Its all a matter of personal preference, I do agree with you Missleman he could piece together a great electric kit if he wanted to. Yet all I am saying is someone who is completely new to the hobby and who knows nothing about flying or r/cing, most Hz birds like the cub are appealing to them because thats what their for, new as new get's beginners.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Fly or Die

Super Cub and and local club

They fit very nicely together

Good Luck