Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner build of an Anniversary Edition Piper Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner build of an Anniversary Edition Piper Cub

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:22 PM
artisan083

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner build of an Anniversary Edition Piper Cub

Just wondering if anyone had some advice for a beginner builder who is working with his son(11) on a Piper Cub. I built a trainer about a year ago on my own, but want to get my son interested and thought it would be a good joint project. Plans look like they are very clear, but I am not sure if I should build with regular or clipped wing? If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 11:51 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Beginner build of an Anniversary Edition Piper Cub

Beginners should go with the full wing. Make a second clipped wing for when you are a better flyer.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Cub kit is a good build and you and your son will have a great time with it. Just follow the instructions and it will become a plane to behold. As for clipping the wings, I did it to mine and I would say that it is a personal choice. I have flown one that was not clipped and I cannot say that I noticed much difference in normal flight. They say to clip them for better aerobatics. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM
artisan083

Thanks for the info, I am looking foward to this build and hope that my son will enjoy as much as me. Thanks again and if you have any more advice let me know.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:29 AM
artisan083

Thanks for the info, I think I'll do the full wing for first time so it's easier to learn on. If you have any more advice let me know, I'll keep checking back.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3 Cubs , two are clipped wing , which I prefer . The Goldberg kit is a fairly easy build , not as scale as others , but still a nice Cub .
The fuse is the weak spot with this kit , the big windows make the wing mounting area weak . And is not forgiving , of hard landings , or touching a wing tip .

Powered mine with a Supertigre GS40 and then a Magnum .52 4c . Flew good with both engines .
Old 02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
hungryandbroke

Clipped wing is more aerobatic.

61 is an overkill.
40 is not enough.
os 46 ax is just right.

4 strokes are more expensive to repair than 2 strokes.
beef up the top window area on the inside up front so it doesn't crack and lose your wing.
tricky on takeoffs so be ready on the rudder.

sturdy goldberg plane that will be on the market forever if you ask me.

i'm on my 4th one and they are fun to fly

i ripped the wing off on takeoff on my last one and had it repaired and flying the next day

cheap 4 channel futaba radio with standard 3004 servos is all ya need

i have a 600 mah battery pack in mine and get an easy 7 flights out of it with a 10 oz tank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96426.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	885505  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: stang

Beginners should go with the full wing. Make a second clipped wing for when you are a better flyer.
I totally disagree

The Cub was originally designed back in the 1920 when engines were not much more than a squirrel in a cage, so they put a HUGE wing on it.

It is actually MORE difficult to fly with the full-size wing due to the fact that you have to move that huge surfboard through the air. Straight flight is ok, but turns result in a lot of adverse yaw.

Build the clipped wing - even if you're a rookie.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:08 AM
hungryandbroke

I agree.

Clip it!

Besides, that huge wing looks stupid on it!

If ya have a lot of money stick an OS 70 4 stroke on it.

Other wise, stick an OS 46 ax 2 stroke on it.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

artisan03, please submit photo's of your build as you go along. I have the same kit and hopefully, will get to get started on it in a month or two.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 AM
multicasting

I have a qestion about this plane. I recently got one that has yet to be flown. How fuctional are the struts on this version? I did not get the struts or the materal to make them. What does the kit use to construct the struts?

I figure I will have this one ready to go in a coupld of weeks.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41943.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	895985  
Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 AM
hungryandbroke

Actually, those struts aren't very functional. I'd say they are more for looks than anything else. All I got out of them was a lot of flutter so I took mine off. Put them on yours and chances are they will fly off in midair, like mine would.

As far as I remember they were made out of some light wood. I just painted right over mine with aero gloss paint.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

When I built my Cub back in 99' I originally powered it with a 40 cause I didnt know any better. It was underpowed and I had to dive the plane prior to pulling a loop. There was just not enough power in reserve for an Oops either.

So I did a 180 and overpowered it with a 91 four stroke. Turned my Cub into a full blown Bear.

Anywho heres a couple of must in my book.
1. Put a 70 four stroke on it at least. The power is fun and you can still put-put around at scale speed all you want and sound good doing it.
2. Get rid of the single aileron servo set-up and use two mounting the servos in the wing at about mid way of the ailerons. This actaully saved my Cub in 02-03'ish when one of the servos went out in flight.
3. Make the wing struts functional. Its easy to do by swapping out the balsa and using hardwood. And upgrade the fasteners and mounting points so the spars can take a load. Pretty easy to do all this while in the framing up phase.
4. Use Centrury Coverite covering. Its a woven heat shrink material thats tough and just looks better than something-cote on a Cub.
5. Upgrade the tail wheel hardware to a spring steered type.
6. Just my 5 cents.

Best of luck.
James
Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The instruction book states that the struts are only for looks. I used them on mine (Just for looks) but my dad has never used them on any of the several that he has had. (None were ever lost due to not having them)
Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome back, Mike!

CGr.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 PM
R/CBOONE72

My struts were just troublesome. I just built the cup in ost one. I'd say the most agrivating part is the huge wing, I worked in a little area. I have the kit which I built, my 3rd build. My dad bought the goldberg arf and it sucks compared to mine, well on water. We dedicated our pipers to water, we have dedicated ski planes as well. I love my piper, it has full wing. I can hover it kinda, not enough rudder. Thats all I have to say
Old 03-16-2008, 08:35 AM
multicasting

What did you do about the Cowl? I stuffed a 61 with a Pitts muffler in there, and had to cut away about 25% of the cowl. I have it primed, but I need to match the super monokote. I am not happy with the ABS plastic. Does anyone know of an aftermarket or replacement version that is made from fiberglass?

Thanks for all the info. It a little tough taking over someone else's project. I kinda feel sorry for the guy. He was sold this as a trainer. I noticed that the entire fuel system from the sullivan fueling valve, hoses and tank were all set up for gasoline. The tank had residual gasoline in it as well. I opted not to purchase the Saito 72 that he had on it when I purchased it. I am glad about that now as it seems he may have tried to run it with gasoline. That ay be why he said it ran really bad and wouldn't start back up.

As soon as the wind dies down here in Dallas, this bird is going up!
Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Villa

Hi artisan083
If you are not a seasoned pilot I suggest you get help during the first few flights of your cub. I have seen many, many crashes of cubs during takeoffs and during landings. The cub loves to snap roll at low speed. It can be a handful for a novice. I have had three cubs. When I make a left aileron turn, the plane banks slightly to the left, but yaws to the right, requiring the addition of left rudder. This is a characteristic of the J3-Cub. It is not a disadvantage or a problem if you are aware of this and know what to do. Rudder must also be used during takeoff. There are others that will completley contradict what I have pointed out and tell you how easy the J3-Cub is to fly. I suggest you read many opinions and then you decide who to believe. Good luck with introducing this wonderful hobby to your son.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:39 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: multicasting
What did you do about the Cowl? I stuffed a 61 with a Pitts muffler in there, and had to cut away about 25% of the cowl. I have it primed, but I need to match the super monokote. I am not happy with the ABS plastic. Does anyone know of an aftermarket or replacement version that is made from fiberglass?
Did a quick search and came up with this.
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga1063.html
Check out the first item under replacement parts.

Some years ago I came across a ABS super cub cowl, at a LHS, that was pretty thick. So I converted to that and it turned out to be great buy. I could have swore it was a replacemment option for a GP Cub but I cant seem to find it anymore.
Cheers.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
jeron68

I have a carl goldberg anniversary edition piper cub. I got this plane about a year ago, and have only flown it four times. It is powered by a saito fa 65. wing is 76.5"
Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Flying Bougie

So which is the best clipped wing cub ARF and build kit 40-46 size that is a decent scale model ? And what about the J3 Cub 52 (blue) ? I just LOVE those plans .... I have a os 46 ax that could power it just fine (from an ultimate that will stay in storage until I have more flying time / or a decent instuctor). Most likely will upgrade to a 60 or 75 2s in the bipe .. i here it will be a screamer.

Anyway most likely will first get a ARF avistar to get my stripes. I here it is a good plane .. although I'm having a ***** of a time finding the bird in China ...