Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Accucycle

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hobbico Accucycle

Old 02-23-2008, 06:14 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hobbico Accucycle

There has been some discussion about the Hobbico Accucycle charger. Not the elite, but the older model. I have one. And it has been displaying discharge levels about 20% lower than the rated capacity of the batteries.

One thing that was mentinoed both here and on Radical RC's web page was the cailbration of this charger.

So, I checked mine. One problem I had was that both my digital volt/amp meters would only display down to .01 amps or 10 ma. It would not go down to and display miili-amperes. I would imagine that some of you had that same problem when attempting to calibraty your Accucycle chargers (if indeed you tried).

Mine was reading somewhere in the 270 ma for a discharge rate of 250 ma. Becasuse it showed .27 and not .270 (for instance), I was unable to really determine where the discharge rate was. And a difference of 10 ma can make a difference.

So, what I did was connected the battery in series with the charger and the meter, started the discharge at 250 ma, then read the meter. It shwed .27 amps, or ~ 270 ma. I adjusted the potentiometer for the RX battery section so that the digital amp meter would fluctuate between .24 and .25, but favoring .25. This means that it is somewhere around .248 to slightly over .250 so I left it there and plugged a battery in and am in the process of checking the discharge level of a 1200 mah 6 volt NiMh pack.

I will see what it discharges to when it is done. Hopefully, it will be somewhere around 1200 mah.

I guess my point here is to let you know that you can do this adjustment on the Accucycle charger if your voltmeter only displays as mine does, you can still calibrate it to much closer than it probably was. In my case, I know it is closer to 250 than it was because it was reading at least 270 ma and now it reads somewhere around 250, plus or minus a small amount.

CGr.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:42 PM
nobodytwo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbico Accucycle

Deleted..just not worth the effort....

Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THe proper way to use the Accucycle is to use it however you wish to use it. Cycling batteries is part of it. You can check to see how much is left in a battery after use by discharging it through the Accucycle.

What I was doing with it was cycling a battery through several cycles to make sure it was able to accept a full charge.

CGr.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Racer526
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 Hobbico Accucycle chargers. I've noticed when I charge my 3 cell lipo packs they stop at 12.60v which is normal for a 3s pack. When I check to voltage with a voltmeter it says the battery is only at 12.46 volts with one charger the other charger get's the packs up to 12.54v. I'm using astroblinkys to balance the packs as they charge. Has anybody else noticed this? Are my packs not getting a full charge? Is there a way to adjust these chargers? Any help would be appreciated.