Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Poll: Who used a flight simulator >

Poll: Who used a flight simulator

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Poll: Who used a flight simulator

Old 03-02-2008, 03:24 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poll: Who used a flight simulator

thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 03:44 PM

I started flying in 1990. That predates flight sims. so I guess the answer is 'not me' At least as far as learning goes. Just used the buddy cord. However that said, I have played around with flight sims, as others have said its fun to fly other planes that you just don't have and in some cases won't ever have. For me one of the won't ever haves is a helicopter, they're just too expensive for me. Hmm yet I have a grand tied up in a 100" plane right now. Well never said I was consistant.

Also I see the value of just keeping the rust to a minimum during the off season. All in all I'd say that there is some very real value to flight sims, just weren't around when I was starting out.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:36 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Just tried my first flight sim. RC Plane Master (demo). I have to say I already appreciate having it. It seems pretty easy to want to roll the wrong way after a bank turn, and I think I just learned that you don't ever want the plane FLYING AT YOU. This makes it difficult to plan for and execute a runway approach. I'm looking forward to getting a cable to hook up to my controller so this will seem a little more realistic.

So I've been using this thing only operating the "right stick" at first...is this something that can be done on the field for first flights (at least while in the air)?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I started with a Real Flight G3.5 last June, or July, and it has helpled a bunch, first getting started in this hobby, and advancing quickly to where I am now.

I've had the chance to try lots of different planes, and it's helped to developed my skills in a very short time.

From my .40 sized trainer through the usual stick type planes, now I spend nearly every weekend practicing areobatics with my 25% Extra 330. I feel the confidence to move on from here to maybe a 33% next.

To anyone who is thinking of starting this RC hobby, I highly recomend getting one, and practice, practice, practice. You just can't go wrong .
Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 PM

Yes the right stick can be used exclusively at the field while in the air. However learning to use rudder to co-ordinate turns is the advice you will get around here. Its by and large good advice but the rudder is not required for turning (oh am I gonna get jumped on now) in full scale as well as larger scale planes the rudder eliminates the effects of adverse yaw. That is the tendency for the nose to want to turn in the opposite direction as that of the turn. It looks like from the ground as if the tail is falling in the turn, the rudder will help keep the tail up. that is not really whats happening. What is happening is that the high wing, the outside wing in the turn, has more drag and is thus trying to slow down.

[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_yaw]adverse yaw[/link]
Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 PM

I bought the G3.5 last summer, and I'm glad I did. It WILL HELP you. I didn't read everyones' responces but...

It's no substitute for a good instructor. If there is a club near you join it. Find the best instructor they've got, and listen to them!

But, most of all have fun.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: jerzdvt

I think I just learned that you don't ever want the plane FLYING AT YOU.
Actually yes you do. You need to get used to all orientations before even thinking about flying the real thing.
If you can't fly with the plane coming at you then you are not going to be able to handle that Nexstar. Practice Practice Practice
ORIGINAL: jerzdvt
So I've been using this thing only operating the "right stick" at first...is this something that can be done on the field for first flights (at least while in the air)?
Once in the air and the throttle reduced to cruising speed your trainer can be flown with the right stick only.
It takes both sticks to take off and land.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Having used FMS simulator to learn to fly which helped me massively to teach orientation I then started downloading their far more responsive planes and think I would have struggled with a 3D plane to start with if I hadn't done that !!!!!!
Now as someone else said I use it for practicing aerobatics, had a minor knee operation a while back and was laid up, in 2 days must have spent 6 / 7 hrs on it and you should have seen my slow rolling circles after that and also learnt slow rolls to the left (rights my preferred) as well.
Next I just kept trying again and again and again to prop hang, 1 minute I couldn't and the next I could, to then transfer that to a plane once you've learnt the sticking and "how it feels" is relatively simple.
The point I'm trying to get across, if you take your plane out you want to try a number of different manouvres and enjoy the 10 / 12 mins of flying rather than just doing the same thing over and over again and yet with a simulator if you're struggling with a paticular manouvre you can just keep repeating it until it starts to fall into place.
I much prefer to fly for real but they're brilliant for extensive stick time / practice and even the cheap ones in my opinion are invaluable to anybody starting out and will potentially save them a whole heap of damage !!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:49 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The most important thing an RC flight sim does for you is to help you learn to fly the plane in any orientation: away from you, towards you, inverted, overhead, etc. This is probably the most difficult thing for newbies to learn. Once you learn that, the rest is not so bad, and can be very specific to your aircraft (i.e. not modeled well in the sim without changing some parameters). Things like stall characteristics, coupling between the controls, etc. are all very specific to your particular RC aircraft and its setup.

With the sim, you won't waste your time and your instructors time at the field trying to figure out which way is up/down or left/right in various orientations. You can concentrate on learning the flight characteristics of your particular aircraft, and learn to fly it well.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flight sims are great. I can practice stupid stuff and plant the plane in the ground time after time, then press the little red button all is new again. After I'm done practicing the stupid stuff and planting the plane on the sim really good, I then go out and plant my foamie doing the same exact stupid stuff I mastered on the sim.

Yes, sims are fun to learn to plant a plane doing stupid stuff .

Hogflyer
Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 PM

I've used the FMS for 3 months then I got a RealFlight G4. The FMS taught me how planes/helis react to thumb inputs and how to do some acrobatic manuevers. The G4 taught me how to land because it has a better view of the sky, horizon, and the ground and has other tools to help you fly better. I just bought my first electric RC plane--the Hobbico Electristar EP, which is main reason I bought the G4 because it also has this model. I haven't flown the real thing yet cuz I'm still waiting for my battery packs, but I am confident enough to fly it on my own w/o a buddy box. We'll see what happens.