Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Poll: Who used a flight simulator >

Poll: Who used a flight simulator

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Poll: Who used a flight simulator

Old 02-29-2008, 05:49 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Who used a flight simulator

I'm curious how many people used a flight sim, and what they thought of the experience.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Default RE: Poll: Who used a flight simulator

So where's the poll? Oh well. I've used a sim. It's good for muscle/finger memory, and rainy days.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I bought a Nexstar Select as my first glow trainer. The bundled "Nexstar" version of Real Flight G2 was one of the reasons. It was handy for practicing control orientation, and as KWJ48 mentioned, for days when the weather keeps you from flying.

I later bought the full version of Real Flight G3 as well as all five Add-Ons and G3 Expansion Pack 1. I enjoy the chance to fly different airframes and get a feeling for what they're like in the air.

I had a flying buddy who was getting very comfortable flying his Big Stik .40 ARF, and he thought he wanted to move up to a CAP 232 for his next plane. I told him I thought it'd be too much plane for him, but he begged to differ.

I had him come over and fly the Big Stik .40 on my G3.5 setup. He agreed that it flew similarly to how his own plane handled, and that it was modelled pretty well. "Great," I said, "now go ahead and try the Cap 232." I loaded the default setup of the CAP 232 for him, as I had the Big Stik .40 previously, and had him give it a go. He drilled it into the ground three or four times and decided to wait on buying one to try for real.

The simulators aren' wildly realistic modelling all flying conditions, there's just no substitute for real stick time out at the field. They are good for practicing control orientation and building "muscle memory" so you can react quickly without having to think about which way to move the sticks.

Practicing on the flight simulator has easily prevented three or four crashes that I can think of. It is a good tool if you don't mind spending the money and you have a good computer system with a good graphics card for running the sim.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM

I do. It's also good because you can fly various models all in one!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I bought a Nexstar Select as my first glow trainer. The bundled "Nexstar" version of Real Flight G2 was one of the reasons. It was handy for practicing control orientation, and as KWJ48 mentioned, for days when the weather keeps you from flying.

I later bought the full version of Real Flight G3 as well as all five Add-Ons and G3 Expansion Pack 1. I enjoy the chance to fly different airframes and get a feeling for what they're like in the air.

I had a flying buddy who was getting very comfortable flying his Big Stik .40 ARF, and he thought he wanted to move up to a CAP 232 for his next plane. I told him I thought it'd be too much plane for him, but he begged to differ.

I had him come over and fly the Big Stik .40 on my G3.5 setup. He agreed that it flew similarly to how his own plane handled, and that it was modelled pretty well. "Great," I said, "now go ahead and try the Cap 232." I loaded the default setup of the CAP 232 for him, as I had the Big Stik .40 previously, and had him give it a go. He drilled it into the ground three or four times and decided to wait on buying one to try for real.

The simulators aren' wildly realistic modelling all flying conditions, there's just no substitute for real stick time out at the field. They are good for practicing control orientation and building "muscle memory" so you can react quickly without having to think about which way to move the sticks.

Practicing on the flight simulator has easily prevented three or four crashes that I can think of. It is a good tool if you don't mind spending the money and you have a good computer system with a good graphics card for running the sim.
Your post wasn't there when I looked at it, then I clicked ok and boom, as I said I do agree on the flying the different models are great...
Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Sorry about that, I'm pretty long-winded even when I'm typing!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:40 PM

It's all good, I just didn't want you to think I was coping your post...
Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 PM

I have one and it has helped me a ton. Teaches orientation, and how to react to the movements of the plane. Also great fun during the winter or when you can't go flying. I fly on mine almost everynight. Highly recommend one, either G3.5 or G4. Aerofly professional wasnt bad but was harder to add more planes.

Farr301
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah , but you give good advise .

I`m self taught , and have saved a lot of planes because of Sim time.

I use to due the maintenance on flight Sims at one of the majors and of corse I had to try it out from time to time to see if it worked properly . Did you know , you can loop a 747 ? lol [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 PM

The sims are too much, I simply can't afford a sim, but I fly fine without it.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:37 PM
My Feedback: (3)

The Sims are great and the newer ones are getting closer to flying like the real thing. Not really needed for learning but it does give you stick time which helps your fingers know what to do on an impulse speeding the process. I too love flying the various different airplanes.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Simulator... heck no!! I would rather just crash them into the ground THEN learn to fly em!!

I have three simulators and use them all. Besides having fun with them, they are actually great to at least keep a tad bit sharp in the off months. And, I use them at our events where the kids have a chance to play with them and get an idea how this stuff works.

Yep, Sims have a definite place in our hobby.

CGr.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:33 PM
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Yeah , but you give good advise .
Advice. Advice is what he gives: advise is what he does.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: F-15 Fan

The most expensive sim cost less than one bad crash on a big nitro bird.
The original post asked "how many people used a flight sim" take the D off of used.
Yes I used a flight sim while training and it helped tremendously but sims don't stop there.
I practice every new aerobatic maneuvre on a sim before I try it on the real thing.
Want practice flying pattern? sims are a great way to put it all together.
So yes I "use" a sim, RealFlight G2 to be exact.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:36 PM

I used to just "play" on the Sim at my LHS when I was picking up parts for my CX2. but once I wanted to step up to a harder Heli, I practiced on the Sim to get am idea what I was getting into. before I bought my first plane I flew the Sim for a while using 4ch planes but then I bought a 3 Ch plane. as I was flying the Super Cub I was practicing the 4ch planes on the Sim till I bought one. now I use the Sim to plan flights and practice them before I get to the air strip.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: F-15 Fan

Free is too much? You can download FMS at no cost and also find lots of free add-on airplanes and flying fields to download:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

FMS is a bit crude, but it does teach basic control orientation. It's also nice that it doesn't require a state-of-the-art computer to run well.

Perhaps and even better value is the Clearview Flight Simulator. You can freely download the demo version and try it out. If you like it, you can register for the full version with many different airplanes and helicopters all for $39.95:

http://www.rcflightsim.com/

The slow flight modelling on Clearview is very good, and the trainer included with the demo download is surprisingly realistic.

If you bought a USB sim controller and a copy of FMS on CD from Raidentech.com, it would set you back all of $19.95 plus shipping. That same USB sim controller could then also most likely be used with a $39.95 copy of Clearview. You'd actually have 2 very good training tools to use for about $59.90 plus s&h.

There is also a freely downloadable demo version of G4 available from Great Planes/Knife Edge:

http://downloads.hobbico.com/softwar..._Installer.exe

It's a 214Mb download, and one of the fields is a blank white screen on my PC, but they have the Nexstar, an Extra 330L, and even a J3 Cub with floats all on the demo. I don't think this demo can be made to work with a standard joystick or USB controller, but it did autodetect my Interlink controller from G3/G3.5 and I can fly the demo with my usual sim controller.

If free is too expensive for you, you should shut off the computer because you're burning up electricity!

Insanemoondoggie - thanks for the props!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:00 PM

I learned to fly on my own just using a flight simulator first g1 then g2
went to the field and the instructor got my plane a eagle 2 in the air and handed
me my radio. That was when I found out it was a lot easier to fly a real plane, I flew
it aroud for a while then the instructor landed it for me. We did the same thing for
the next few evenings then for some reason i could not hook up with him as he was
always busy, so i went to the field one day took off and landed my plane all by myself.
I have to admit that some landings were not perfect, some I had to abort, but most
and quite a few were so perfect I could hardly believe it. that Best of all my plane is
intack,
Old 03-01-2008, 12:43 AM

How do you control one of these free flight sims? Can you use your regular radio with some kind of adapter? I was originally looking at the one that came with the Nexstar bundle; I ended up buying the Nexstar ARF (I can't believe I just dropped $400 on a flying toy!) So I'd love to get hooked up with a flight sim without spending too much more money.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 AM

Holy Cow! I just realized I spent EXACTLY the SAME money, got all the necessary gear to get started, and a 6 channel computer radio! Nice Job Me! Even have $40 of merch coming from Tower for fuel =)
Old 03-01-2008, 07:49 AM

I am downloading the G4 demo right now.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jerzdvt

How do you control one of these free flight sims? Can you use your regular radio with some kind of adapter?
You can get (or make) adapter cables. Also, there are transmitter-like USB controllers that you can probably get for $20 or 30.

I just played with the keyboard and found that even that helped a lot with orientation.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:16 AM

I think the sims are a great tool. My son-in-law and I both taught ourselves to fly with the old GP G-2's. (there was no one in the area to teach us to fly). We both used our sims over the winter and as soon as the weather was right, we went out and flew successfully without any crashes. I flew a Sig LT-40 and my son-in-law few a duraplane. As noted above, a sim is less expensive than a bad crash.

bh
Old 03-01-2008, 12:57 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: jerzdvt

Holy Cow! I just realized I spent EXACTLY the SAME money, got all the necessary gear to get started, and a 6 channel computer radio! Nice Job Me! Even have $40 of merch coming from Tower for fuel =)

Great job, Wheres the poll?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Back in the days...Fms would be a dream as a sim.lol

I learned without a sim.
I had an excuse to own a fleet too.lol
I got super deals from the funfly .Three .40 size models all set up and ready to go.
I crashed them all.

got me a duraplane to get me through.
I think back when..I jumped for joy when my new pc went from 32mb to 64mb @ 80hz..lmao

For me a sim is use on those super dooper hot summer dayz...(building season)
When you can actaully die if you step outside where i live.lol

it's spring time...guess what ??
a couple of bricks in the fleet is nice to have..or a sim.lol
Old 03-01-2008, 08:19 PM

The $200 sims are more than worth the price IMO. You will save at least that much in crash/repair costs, and you will learn to fly much quicker.

I taught myself to fly RC helis with RealFlight, and I was able to solo an RC plane after only 3 flights due to the sim.

The free sim is better than nothing, and will help you a great deal as well. Here's a link to a $25 USB controller you can use with it:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSJR9&P=ML

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.