Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Have Trainer & Engine, Now Which Radio to Buy? >

Have Trainer & Engine, Now Which Radio to Buy?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Have Trainer & Engine, Now Which Radio to Buy?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Have Trainer & Engine, Now Which Radio to Buy?

I just solo'd about 3 years ago. My original radio was a 72mHz Futaba 6XA Super and I still have it. It's a good, solid radio. I have both PPM and PCM receivers for it.

My son has a electric Mini UltraStick but has a Spektrum DX7 and the AR6100 parkflyer receiver. I have the larger UltraStick 40 and have a 72mHz Futaba 9CAP Super since I needed the advanced programming which the 6XAs didn't offer. Nice thing about the 9C is it is a modular radio. The RF module simply snaps out so I can replace it with a spread spectrum Futaba or Spektrum module and fly it with a spread spectrum receiver. Same batteries, same servos.

If I were buying a new radio I'd go for a 2.4gHz system - unless I get an incredible deal on an 72mHz set. I did recently get a "steal" on a 72mHz Futaba flight pack (receiver and servo package).
Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say DX6i if price is very important, just got mine today, programmed for my 4ch Super Cub and two other planes. Programming was fairly easy and straight forward. It's nice and light. it runs on 4 AA MiMH batts!!! I can't see needing more than this radio unless I got a real nice, decent size aerobatics plane, or that B-25 Mitchell!!!

If there's a little more money there but not $350 for a DX7, get the RDS8000 I almost did, and I'm sure more recievers will be out soon, like 6ch micro lite's etc. At $230 that's a good deal, and on a 2.4 thread there's a tower coupon code for $30 off and free S/H

The ModelMatch and 49.99 Rx's sold me on the DX6i, and I have a kid so $20 is a week's dipers LOL

E-mail me more more thoughts on the DX6i, I'll be flyin' with it as soon as the wind lets up.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Well, I was able to get in touch with one of the instructors for the local RC club. Even though they have both Futaba and Spektrum radios in 2.4GHz, he recommended that I get the DX7. So, it's time to search on-line for the best deal for one with RX and servos. If anyone knows offhand of someplace with good pricing, let me know. And, thanks to everyone for all of the good input. Very appreciated [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM

www.hobbyshopworld.com

They have the best prices on Spektrum I've found. Plus free shipping over 100 bucks.

Good Luck,
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 PM

Question:

Before I order my DX7 system, are their any radio related accessories that I will have to have that don't come with the DX7, or any upgrades that are recommended? I've read where some people are using a higher voltage RX battery pack rather than the "4.8V 1100mAh NiCd 4 cell receiver pack" that comes with the DX7, presumably to help with preventing the "brown-out" problem. Should I do this also, and if so, what type would be best and is recommended? I hope to place my order tomorrow (btw, thanks for the Hobbyshopworld tip) and would like to get everything I will need all at once, especially with the free shipping they offer.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DX7 DC7000 RX problem comes up when the RX battery drops below 3.5 volts and the RX reboots. The latency for this is about 2 - 3 seconds. The fix is two fold: 1. Don't fly with batteries that are that low. This is common sense, but some people push the limits just to get one more flight in. 2. Spektrum has a fix in that reduces the reboot time to I think 1 second or so in the event the pilot DOES try to push the limit.

I have eliminated this problem by simply using 5 cell packs ( 6 volt ) and employ a Voltwatch to monitor my RX voltage. When it is questionable, and for me, if it ever drops into the yellow zone for any reason (wagging the stick which exercises the servos) and it goes from green to yellow even momentarily, I recharge. Simple solution. And with 1200 mah battery packs, I usually can reliably get 4 or 5 flights on that battery pack before recharging.

I believe if you get a new system, it will (should) include the new RX software version. One little thing you may want to consider is a little gizmo that shifts the CG of the TRANSMITTER so that if you use a neck strap, and let go of the transmitter, it doesn't settle so that the sticks are against your chest. Imagine.. let go of the TX and the thing swings back and pushes the throttle on you. Not funny. But.. i can say that this is not peculiar with just the DX7. It also happens with other 2.4 GHz systems. Mainly because of the short antenna.

Someone, and I believe it is JR, makes a little gizmo that goes in the strap mounting stud and shifts the point where the strap attaches more to the upper part of the TX so that the thing won't swing on you. I will see if I can find it and post the part number or a URL to the web site where you can find this thing.

Here is that URL for the neck strap gizmo. It is for JR but works with the Spektrum.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM6703

CGr.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 PM

I've had good luck with [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/4-6V-2300mAh-NiMH-RX-Receiver-Battery-Pack-for-Airplane_W0QQitemZ330217372186QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3 4056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]this[/link] sites batteries.

Getting a good quick charger wouldn't be a bad idea when funds come available so you can give your radio or planes a boost when needed out at the field.