Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

O.S. 40 LA Engine Instructions are Horrific!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

O.S. 40 LA Engine Instructions are Horrific!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: O.S. 40 LA Engine Instructions are Horrific!

What got me to comment about the rich running was where you'd said earlier that it was the WORST thing that could be done to an ABC type. The test I did was prompted by another (well respected) guy some years ago who told a newbie he might just as well throw his engine in the trash because he'd run one tank through it rich. We never heard from that newbie again so presumably one modeller was lost to the ranks. The only reason I did that experiment was to test the myth for any truth, not to try to run it in. Now I can feel quite confident in telling any newbie who might have run a bit rich that they have no problem, the engine won't be damaged and they can continue running it in the correct way.

Of course your method works, I'm not arguing against that. I do it slightly differently but that's just a personal preference.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
flyX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. 40 LA Engine Instructions are Horrific!

There's no valves on a 2 stroke Nitro R/C engines. It's not a yammahahhhhaaaaa

The cylinder's sleeving is TAPPERED. The diameter is small on top than the bottom.
There's no rings. If you run it lean and rev it up..you're increase the chance of the engine seizing on ya.
Rods are know to have stretch or break.

The parts that needs to wear in is also the bottom of the rod and casing.

Trust me...I've seizing up a nitro engine and threw a rod before becuase i simply didn't breaking it enough
and went full throttle on the second tank. It can happen that fast

As many people have said..the oil also cools the engine as the parts are rubbing each other to wear in.

As i said ...you'll get build up on the glow plug's coil, but during a break in...you're not going to get carbon
build up on top of the piston just running a couple of tank rich.

There's not that much to a 2 stroke R/C nitro engine...don't make it more complicate.