Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

mach 1 landing gear

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

mach 1 landing gear

Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 PM
joco1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mach 1 landing gear

ive decided after looking at the main landing gear on my newly put together sky raider mach 1, that i am going to replace the wire landing gear with more sturdy landing gear, what would be a good gear to get and should i brace the fuse before i install? i already replaced the nose gear
Old 03-01-2008, 08:35 PM
alan0899

Default RE: mach 1 landing gear

G'day Mate,
Leave the main & nose gear alone, it is designed to "give" when landing, it will bend a bit, but won't damage the fuselage structure.
The main landing gear wire is plenty strong enough & the nose gear wire is easily straightened after & hard arrival.
Do yourself a favour & leave it as it came from the box.
One tip though, where the main gear slots into the fuselage, make sure that the wire fit easily into the slot, & that the radius in the hard wood block, for the wire, where it bends "up", is adjusted to fit the bend in the wire, if it is too tight, the hardwood block can split, from the pressure.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:01 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. There really is no reason to change the gear out. Sure, the spindly wires look a little odd but the work well for the plane. Plus, if you are still prone to hard landings, it is better to bend the gear than break the airplane. The ultimate way to stop the bending gear is practice, practice, practice on your landings. Of course, I have occasionally seen "defective" gear that was butter soft, almost as if it never got hardened.

If you do happen to change them out for aluminum gear or something, make sure you have a nice hardwood or plywood mounting block inside the fuse and reinforce it with some triangle stock. You might be able to use the existing hardwood block for the wire gear but I'd have to look to be sure.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 PM
PA BEN

The nose gear does bend in after a while. I put a double arm nose gear on mine. The main gear work fine. Here's a picture of the nose gear. I leave it on when I use my floats.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:35 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you wear the wheels out, then you can replace the gear and wheels at the same time, and maybe make it a taildragger to change your flying experience. I wouldn't change anything on it unless it actually became a problem. It won't hurt a thing the way it is.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_21...dragger/tm.htm
Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 PM
joco1

i just thought they didnt look as stout as some landing gear on other planes especially yours pa looks like that would be a great landing gear to land on ruff fields but if you guys say leave it i will !!!!! thanks for the help !!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 PM
PA BEN

I fly off of grass and you will be bending it back to the front. One of the club members puts one of these on the front of every new plane he gets. Do it now while you are building it then you wont have to mess with it later. I also use larger wheels for prop clearance off the grass.