Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Repost: Flying tips (don't know what happened to my post!)

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Repost: Flying tips (don't know what happened to my post!)

Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repost: Flying tips (don't know what happened to my post!)

So I just started flying on some flight simulators, and have some questions (for real world rc flight):

When do you recommend throttling down to begin an approach - circle the runway and throttle down length of runway flying opposite direction?

Do you trim the elevator when you throttle down to compensate for power reduction?

Do you "sync" the ailerons and elevator on a computer radio for smoother banking turns?

Do you try to get into approach then use rudder to steer as opposed to ailerons?

Do you usually need to use the elevators when using the rudder?

Thanks; this isn't easy =)
Old 03-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Missileman

Default RE: Repost: Flying tips (don't know what happened to my post!)

Reduce throttle on downwind leg, reduce more turning cross field, reduce to idle on final but be ready to use throttle to control altitude.
When landing elevator is used to slow the plane down and throttle controls altitiude. Flair when about 2' above runway. and let it settle in.
Any mixing, rudder aileron or aileron elevator, should not be used on a trainer. First off it is not needed and secondly it is more important that you learn to fly your airplane and not rely on your radio too much.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:11 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jerzdvt

When do you recommend throttling down to begin an approach - circle the runway and throttle down length of runway flying opposite direction?
It despends upon the characteristics of the plane. I usually chop throttle on the base leg.

Do you trim the elevator when you throttle down to compensate for power reduction?
No, you hold the nose up.

Do you "sync" the ailerons and elevator on a computer radio for smoother banking turns?
It is not a good idea to compensate for what the pilot should do with mixing.

Do you try to get into approach then use rudder to steer as opposed to ailerons?
It depends upon the situation. Rudder is used to keep the plane aligned with the orientation you established as you turn in to final.

Ailerons can help, and must often be used on crosswinds...

Do you usually need to use the elevators when using the rudder?
It depends upon the plane and how it is trimmed.

Planes with high dihedral will tend to nose down and even roll when you use a lot of rudder.

Typically when you are starting out, you barely touch the rudder. Later you can use a bit of rudder for co-ordinated turns, but may people never bother.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Jetdesign

Missleman:"Flair when about 2' above runway."

What's flair?

Opjose:"Planes with high dihedral will tend to nose down and even roll when you use a lot of rudder."

That's exactly what happens. So I shouldn't worry about rudder for a while it sounds like.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Missileman

Flair= give up elevator so that the airplane pitches up about 15 degrees are so.
This slows the airplane and allows it to settle in main gear first.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 PM
rceric

Hey Jerzdvt,

Flare is when you use elevator to liift the nose (flare the nose up) so the rear wheels touch first and to bleed off that last bit of air speed.. It is basically like stalling the aircraft onto the runway. The nice thing about that new Nexstar you just bought is that you can begin a flare much higher than two feet and she will just glide in with her rear wheels touching first. You need to practice a bunch of approaches and touch and goes and especially some pretend landings. Pretend the runway is up in the air somewhere and try landing on it up there so the ground doesn't eat your new plane.

Eric
Old 03-03-2008, 06:59 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Landing is just flying slower and lower. Learn to fly, and you learn to land. Keep the nose up and the wings level.

Brad
Old 03-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Jetdesign

rceric:"Pretend the runway is up in the air somewhere and try landing on it up there so the ground doesn't eat your new plane."

I like that.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
opjose

Opjose:"Planes with high dihedral will tend to nose down and even roll when you use a lot of rudder."

That's exactly what happens. So I shouldn't worry about rudder for a while it sounds like.
It sounds like you are coming off a 3channel plane and have graduated up to 4 channel. ( One reason I am dis-liking 3Ch planes as so called "trainers" ugh! ).

If that is the case you've learned to "point" the plane by using the rudder.

Try to use ailerons and elevator to do most of your flying... leaving rudder only to keep the plane running down the center of the runway if it starts to vear to either side.

Until you are well out of your 4ch trainers, don't worry about using the rudder for other things.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 PM
spiral_72

I wouldn't say that. Especially on the trainers I've flown, just before you touch down and your airspeed is low, the ailerons are all but useless. I suppose this is due to all the dihedral and the relative small size of the aileron in the first place. The rudder steers or yaws the plane regardless if it affects the nose angle. At low speed the rudder works much better that the ailerons to correct your course. If you have a cross wind and try to correct with ailerons, it won't work very well (although ailerons will..... eventually)

Be careful NOT using the rudder I'd say.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: spiral_72

I wouldn't say that. Especially on the trainers I've flown, just before you touch down and your airspeed is low, the ailerons are all but useless. I suppose this is due to all the dihedral and the relative small size of the aileron in the first place. The rudder steers or yaws the plane regardless if it affects the nose angle. At low speed the rudder works much better that the ailerons to correct your course. If you have a cross wind and try to correct with ailerons, it won't work very well (although ailerons will..... eventually)

Be careful NOT using the rudder I'd say.
ALWAYS use the rudder for course correction when landing. Ailerons are used to keep the wings level.
Some times rudder use will try to roll the plane a little. Use aileron to correct.
Practice flat turns in the air= turn with the rudder while keeping the wings level with opposite aileron.