Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Another genius newbie question- radio

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Another genius newbie question- radio

Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 PM
rceric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another genius newbie question- radio

If I buy the new Futaba 2.4 7C with the R617FS receiver can I use my current servos? They are the S9001 ' s

The reason I ask is because the combo's from Tower all include digital servos. I am not sure if I need to use them or if I can use the servos I own.

Thanks,

Eric

Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Missileman

Default RE: Another genius newbie question- radio

You can use your S9001 servos, no problem.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:04 PM
rceric

Excellent! Thanks again!

Eric
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you look into other 2.4 GHz systems? Several manufacturers have them on the market now. And at very competitive prices. Airtronics, for instance, has their new RDS8000 selling at Tower Hobbies (and others) for around $230. And that radio is a fine system. It is based on their very successful RD8000 system in 72 MHz.

Spektrum also has one fine system, their DX7 and the new DX6i, as does JR. They are really all fine systems and worthy of a good close look.

You really owe it to yourself to take a good look at all the sytems out there.

And, all your current servos are compatible with these systems.

CGr.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
rceric

So many choices.. Everyone has their own opinion. How is a newbie supposed to decide?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:54 PM
CGRetired

What we are trying to do is give you choices. You can decide for yourself. No matter what choice you DO make, it won't be a bad one because of the ones I mentioned, plus the Futaba, well, it comes down to a personal choice.... as I said, you can't go wrong. They are all equally as good and will give you great service.

Don't be convinced that one is better than the other because that is just not so. These manufacturers have been making RC equipment for years and they really know what works.

It seems that many people will choose what their instructor is using, which is just fine. In my case, I started out with Airtronics and their RD6000 radio. Later, I wanted more model memory and another channel, so I picked up an RD8000. Yet again, I saw the Polk synthesized system (dial a frequency... or as some say, dial-a-crash.. ) and did not like it and sold it. A short time later, I bought the DX7 by Spektrum and absolutely love it. But, I was not trying to be disloyal to Airtronics, because I did not care about that stuff, I just wanted what I wanted and what I thought was best for my situation... and the DX7 fills that requirement just fine.

If you do choose the Futaba, as I said, you will be happy. If you choose the JR, Spektrum, or the Airtronics, you will be equally as happy. The big advantage Airtronics has right now is price. As I said in my previous post, the price is definitely right at $230 for an 8 channel radio with 10 model memory, and you would not be disappointed in it's capabilities.

CGr.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
rceric

I notice the Airtronics has adjustable stick lengths and tension and lots of model memory (plus it looks cool). I like the changing channel function on the Futaba though. I think I will go touch each of them before making a decision.

Thanks for advice. It is always appreciated.

Eric
Old 03-04-2008, 10:06 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Rceric, I am loyal to Futaba, 25 years and probably over 40 different Futaba radios.
I have never had any problems. I am sure that others can and will say the same about there company.

Here is a link to the 7C 2.4 with no servos
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTTM1&P=0
Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 PM
TedMo

From your last post I say research more. To my knoledge all the tx's have had adjustable sticks for ages. If you're looking for memory several have 20 model memory. Don't know what you're referring to regarding changing channels, all 2.4 systems choose a channel not in use automatically. Some also have model match which insures you CAN'T attempt to fly the wrong plane nothing will work unless correct plane is chosen. Do some more research before making choice. I personally prefer JR's .
Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
rceric

This is what I meant about the Futaba:

Futaba's FASST (Futaba Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology) shifts
every two milliseconds virtually eliminating signal conficts and
interruptions unlike other 2.4GHz systems that only stay on one
or two frequencies
Old 03-04-2008, 11:27 PM
bruce88123

The Airtronics also frequency hops. Not sure at what rate though. If you compare system costs be sure to do it with similar accesories included. These include batteries, servos, switch harnesses, etc. Also be sure to get similar servos if included. Don't compare micro/compact against higher dollar digitals.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:58 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the 7C 2.4Ghz system and forget about it.
quit listening to answers to anything other than what you asked about or it'll haunt you to no end.
put another way, if you simply asked about a prop size for one particular engin on the engines forum, you'd get a few answers to the original question, but you'll get a ton of answers suggesting other engines and props that are not even on your list.

you already have the Futaba 9001's (it's my standard servo too BTW), and you can probably mix them in with other radios, but why?
the Futaba gear is great technology................stick with your original choice and enjoy.................keep listening here and you'll never get a radio, plus if you choose other than your initial plan, you'll always be wondering if you did the right thing.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 AM
rceric

Summerwind - Your making me laugh.. You are so right but it never hurts to hear what people have to say.. Maybe the Airtronics is better, who knows. I can tell you one thing for sure, upgrading from my radios that are on avg 10 years old there is no way I will be dissapointed with anything new. I am leaning towards the Futaba just because evrything else I own is Futaba but I will go to my local store and hold each of them for a final decision.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 AM
CGRetired

Although Summerwind makes a point, the purpose of asking questions and getting answers is to find out what others are doing in this hobby and why.

Just about everyone in the hobby are looking at the new 2.4 GHz technology to update or enhance what they have. The main reason people are looking and buying the new equipment is that the equipment is faster (servo latency) and more reliable. It is also much safer because it does not create nor is subject to inteference caused by other transmitters being turned on either on purpose or by accident.

That is the main reason people are suggesting and recommending the new technology.

Do what your pocketbook and your needs require. Don't get in the rut where you have to have a Futaba, JR, Airtronics, whatever. Get what you feel will work for you and go with it. You will not be disappointed.

CGr.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Missileman

I have to very strongly dissagree with Summerwind.
This is a beginners forum and as such recommendations other than the original question gives the poster, probably a "BEGINNER",options he/she may not have known were available. I am not saying the poster of this thread is a beginner. I don't know. But the remark was, so this answer is also.
Your words of wisdom may hold true in other forums but not in the beginners forum where more info is good info.
PS: I am not dissagreeing to the Futaba by the way. Futaba is a fine radio.