Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Mixing Channels - aka Aileron & Rudder >

Mixing Channels - aka Aileron & Rudder

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Mixing Channels - aka Aileron & Rudder

Old 03-05-2008, 01:15 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Channels - aka Aileron & Rudder

What do you guys think about mixing channels? On my Futaba radio I can mix channels so, for example, I can make it so as I input aileron it will automatically add in an amount of rudder. The amount of rudder is completely customizable from 30-100% of the input on the aileron I give. So it's a quasi "auto-coordination".

Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Default RE: Mixing Channels - aka Aileron & Rudder

For a beginner it isn’t suggested. I have it too but only use rudder in tricks and landings. If you really want just put in rudder manually and see if it helps and you can eventually add the mix to see if it helps, but like I said it isn’t suggested.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 AM

You will greatly benefit in your flying abilities if you forget about mxing channels, especially aileron/rudder. A proper landing uses only ailerons to keep the wings level, while using rudder to steer the plane in the correct path. I would imagine that mixing these channels would take away that ability.Just simply learn to use the rudder and after a few flights you won't even think about having to use it. I guarantee that you will become a better pilot. After you have learned this, then mixing could become benficial in future planes. Just stay away from "shortcuts" (no insult intended) such as this and you'll be better off in the long run. Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 AM

You would probably benefit more from mixing the throttle with the rudder than the ailerons. Depending on the plane, you could also put one aileron on channel 1 and the other on channel 6 and enable flapperons. You could mix the elevator to work with the flaps to keep the plane level.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:52 PM

When I learned, I mixed aileron and rudder with a y harness. I was told that it could only be done successfully on a plane with flat wings. I don't know how accurate that is. But it did help alot with my trainer. I made great turns because of it. I built up my confidence and I did not have to worry about using the rudder stick. Keep in mind by doing this I also had to use the right stick in ground handling. The left stick became only the throttle. Once I moved up to the next plane this method was not used.

Frank
Old 03-05-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad idea. Consider crosswind landings when you want aileron in one direction and rudder in the other. You will have to fight against the mix making the landing even harder.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: SKYHI1

When I learned, I mixed aileron and rudder with a y harness. I was told that it could only be done successfully on a plane with flat wings. I don't know how accurate that is. But it did help alot with my trainer. I made great turns because of it. I built up my confidence and I did not have to worry about using the rudder stick. Keep in mind by doing this I also had to use the right stick in ground handling. The left stick became only the throttle. Once I moved up to the next plane this method was not used.

Frank
OK I'll bite:
How well would that work when landing, especially cross wind?
I would think you don't want the plane to bank when aligning to the runway and on the other hand you don't want the plane to yaw when you are just trying to keep the wings level.
What about takeoff? Epecially on a plane that needs rudder to keep rolling strait, how would you keep the plane from rolling into the ground?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 PM
My Feedback: (2)

So I guess you guys can't land a 3-channel plane (ail-elev only or rud-elev only) in a crosswind, eh?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM

Mixing should not be done for the sake of mixing. It belongs and should stay with helping hard aerobatic manuevers that REQUIRE mixing. It is essential to learn rudder, elevator, ailerons and throttle alone before you dive into mixing. You will become proficient at these controls and then you probably wouldnt need to mix them unless you are in IMAC or something amongst those lines.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I have a switch to turn mixing off when landing so that isn't an issue. Regardless I will continue my learning without mixing and then maybe look at mixing. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

So I guess you guys can't land a 3-channel plane (ail-elev only or rud-elev only) in a crosswind, eh?
I don't think coupling ailerons and rudder with a Y harness gives the same response as a 3 channel plane.
3 channel planes have much more dihedral so would react much differently.
The 3 channel planes I have seen would not have to worry about crosswind landing anyway because they wouldn't be flying if there was much wind.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 PM
My Feedback: (2)

My 3-channel SPAD Derelict had no dihedral, and I flew it in pretty high winds. It was aileron/elevator control, no rudder. I don't think I'd want to fly a rudder/elevator plane in much wind though. As long as you have pitch and roll control (ail/elev or elevons) you can fly fine in some wind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48849.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	895941  
Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 AM

True, Our combat planes are mostly 3 channel, aileron elevator, wind is not an issue but crosswind landing is pretty much out of the question. These planes are more of a controlled crash.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Missileman

OK I'll bite:
How well would that work when landing, especially cross wind?
I used to do this with my Spacewalker II.

I had this on a switch so I could turn it on and off...

As long as the mixing amount is fairly low, crosswind landings with the mixing on doesn't hinder things BUT.... I used about 8% rudder to 100% aileron, so the amount was quite low.

I can't imagine trying to do this with a "Y" cable though as you'd end up with 100% response on the rudder to aileron inputs.... ouch!