Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel Shipping price

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel Shipping price

Old 03-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Fly or Die

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Shipping price

ok, so I went to Tower Hobbies to order some Tower Power Fuel.

I added 4 quart bottles to my cart, as i preceeded to checkout it stated that the shipping was only 8.99.

What happened to the big fuel shipping prices.

I just wanted to make sure this was correct that way I won't end up getting charged more than stated in the end

Thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 11:55 AM
housedad

Default RE: Fuel Shipping price

The UPS Hazmat surcharge is only on gallon bottles. Quarts do not have the luxury of the surcharge. They are just a lot more expensive.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Fly or Die

huh?!
Old 03-09-2008, 01:30 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NTSB has different regs for different size containers. Has to do with how much of a spill/expolsion/fire a failed container can cause.

4 quart bottles cost more than 1 gallon bottle. Packaging costs and volume discounts.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:45 PM
carrellh

Go to
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXA308&P=0

click the link for
Shipping Note: Case of Fuel, must ship ground only, additional hazardous material charge applies

This will pop up.
Case of Fuel, must ship UPS Ground only, additional hazardous material charge applies
This item is a case of fuel. Due to EPA regulations, our shipper assesses an additional hazardous materials fee of $20.00 per case. Orders containing cases of fuel cannot be shipped via priority shipping methods which use aircraft such as international shipping, 1-Day Express, or 2-Day Express. Cases of fuel may only be shipped within the United States using Surface Shipment.

========================

Buying fuel online is very expensive.

Omega, Cool Power, and Wildcat (15% nitro) are sold in the Dallas area for about $15 per gallon. With tax, a 4 gallon case costs about $65. Add about $10 for the gas to go get it.

A case of Wildcat 15% would cost $124 to buy from Tower including shipping and hazmat.

Buying by the quart, 4 gallons of 15% Tower Power would cost $137.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Missileman

Tower fuel 10% is 6.99 per quart x4 quarts = $27.96 per gallon, plus shippng 8.99=$36.95.
I can go to any local hobby shop and at most I pay $20 for a gallon, but usually closer to $17. If I buy a 4 gallon case the price drops to $12.50 per gallon.
That is why you where told how expensive buying those 4 quarts.
Don't you have a hobby shop within 50 miles or so? Even putting gas in the family vehicle would be worth the trouble.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

my club buys fuel in bulk we have it shipped to one of the members buisness.we pay 8 per gallon for 10%.you do have to have your own containers though.i just have saved all my fuel bottles.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:18 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Missileman

Tower fuel 10% is 6.99 per quart x4 quarts = $27.96 per gallon, plus shippng 8.99=$36.95.
I can go to any local hobby shop and at most I pay $20 for a gallon, but usually closer to $17. If I buy a 4 gallon case the price drops to $12.50 per gallon.
That is why you where told how expensive buying those 4 quarts.
Don't you have a hobby shop within 50 miles or so? Even putting gas in the family vehicle would be worth the trouble.
Wow!

My LHS charges $14.00/gallon for Cool Power 10%, but if you have one of their free discount member cards, you only pay 10.56/gallon in single unit quantities....

And you get some credit against future purchases.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

You could drive to Tatamy PA to S&W Fuels and buy it direct from the manufacturer. That's about 147 driving miles for you if it's worth it to go that far for fuel.

The way to make that work is to buy a quantity, say several 4 gallon cases, (they also sell it by the 55 gallon drum) split among other RC'ers at your club. We did it that way. I picked up 4 cases of his 15% high performance fuel for about 12.50 per case a couple of years ago. I've burned all but about one gallon, and will be buying again soon for the next couple of years.

It's great fuel, just as good as some of the expensive brand names (S&W is a brand name for us around here as a lot of people use it and the LHS keeps it in stock, but sells it for a bit more than we can get it direct)

CGr.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

If anybody is going to the Toledo Expo, that is a good place to purchase fuel also. You can buy it without shipping charges and sales tax included in price.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

You could drive to Tatamy PA to S&W Fuels and buy it direct from the manufacturer. That's about 147 driving miles for you if it's worth it to go that far for fuel.

The way to make that work is to buy a quantity, say several 4 gallon cases, (they also sell it by the 55 gallon drum) split among other RC'ers at your club. We did it that way. I picked up 4 cases of his 15% high performance fuel for about 12.50 per case a couple of years ago. I've burned all but about one gallon, and will be buying again soon for the next couple of years.

It's great fuel, just as good as some of the expensive brand names (S&W is a brand name for us around here as a lot of people use it and the LHS keeps it in stock, but sells it for a bit more than we can get it direct)

CGr.
I have to put my order in too. About 6 cases should take me almost through the season.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:35 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah. I recall Carl went last year. The year before that, Ed L. (club VP) went. I still have about three gallons in my closet, but need more for this season, that's for sure.

Dick.