Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

O.S. 46 will not start.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

O.S. 46 will not start.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:34 AM
the_madgenius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. 46 will not start.

yetti831 , it seems to me that you have a faulty plug. The element , that is the coil inside the plug, is the part that is supposed to glow , not just the end of it. That plug has a faulty connection on the coil, so off to the hobby shop and purchase a few OS#8 plugs, and all will be fine.
Bill
Old 03-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Missileman

As said it is a good idea to have a few extra glow plugs anyway. In fact, if you can afford it an extra glow ignitor doesn't hurt.
Most people at my club cary a couple of ignitors in case one dies at the field. I have 3 in my field box.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

The coiled element should be the only thing glowing.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:46 PM
yetti831

3/4 of the coiled element is glowing. The top 1/3 is not.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:11 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

One way that you can check the plug without your glow starter is to simply get a battery (D, C, AA, it really doesn't matter what size) and two pieces of wire. Connect a piece of wire to both ends of the battery, a piece of tape on each end will help to hold it in place. Then place one wire to the threads portion of the glow plug. Then place the other wire to the center post of the plug. If the plug glows good here then the problem is with your glow starter. If it's dead here then the problem is with the glow plug.

You should keep a supply of glow plugs in your field box. Once an engine is broken in glow plugs can last years without going out, but they can also give out quickly too. This is why it's good to keep spares in your box, that way your flying day isn't over it a glow plug goes out. One other note, it's very common for glow plugs to go out on newer engines that are still breaking-in. The reason for this is as an engine breaks in metal is worn away and is suspending in the oil from the fuel (don't worry, these metal bits are perfectly normal). These metal bits will coat the coil of the glow plug and burn it out. It's quite common to go through several glow plugs when breaking in an engines.

Ken
Old 03-10-2008, 07:19 PM
yetti831

ITS THE GLOW STARTER. I WENT TO THE HOBBY SHOP, AND THEY CONFIRMED THAT THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE GLOW PLUG, AS THEY APPLIED THEIR STARTER TO MY PLUG. I ALSO TOOK MY STARTER AND APPLIED IT TO THE PLUG, AND IT WAS WORKING. 20 MINUTES LATER, WHEN I GOT HOME, I APPLIED MY STARTER TO THE PLUG, AND NOTHING. SO, HERE WE GO AGAIN. ALSO, MY PLUGS WERE 8 BUCKS A PIECE. WHAT A RIP.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Eight bucks is a bit much to be paying for glow plugs, it might be time to find a new place to purchase them. OS #8 plugs should run $5-$6 and OS A3 plugs should run $4-$5.

Ken
Old 03-10-2008, 07:37 PM
yetti831

Yes, I know. It's only 6 miles from where I live (Philly), so it's mostly just convenient. I also bought a gallon of fuel. Wanted 10%, but they only carry 15% , which I payed 20 for. Oh, yeah. I also needed a foot of fuel tubing, which cost me 4 bucks! It's the wonderful chain "Hobbytown USA."
Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: yetti831

It's the wonderful chain "Hobbytown USA."
Well that explains the high prices!!!!

Ken
Old 03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
yetti831

My glow starter decided to work again, so I opened up the engine 3 turns, primed her, and BAM, she started up! With all of my frustrations, even getting this thing started was a sucess for me. So, I'm happy for now, but I won't be happy when I have to buy a new starter from that hobby shop! Thanks for your help, everyone.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are getting ripped by the LHS try putting together an order for Tower or Horizon .
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCB27&P=ML

A couple of plugs and some fuel line. Maybe a couple of props and a spinner? Pretty soon you have enough savings over the LHS to cover the shipping (and car gas) and usually no taxes to pay either. Just don't burn your bridges at the LHS because there WILL be days when you need them, right now.