Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Alpha 60 ?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hangar 9 Alpha 60 ?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Groundman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Alpha 60 ?

I have an exhaust leak and I am thinking since the exhaust is machined aluminum, I was thinking of putting a small swipe of red gasket sealer instead of the regular gasket that came stock. Any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Alpha 60 ?

I've found that the exhaust gaskets on most engines create more exhaust leaks than they prevent. I would either use nothing at all or some RTV silicone like you mentioned.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Groundman

Thanks ChuckW, you are the second person who has told me to use nothing or even a small swipe of gasket sealer. I just wasnt sure it you could go metal to metal and still get a seal. One of the guy's from the field where I fly said to go metal to metal.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used lock-tite thread bond. I just put a layer on the CLEAN muffler surface, then immediately put the muffler to the header port on the engine. Let it set overnight and then it may work out fine.

Dick.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:12 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Groundman

Thanks ChuckW, you are the second person who has told me to use nothing or even a small swipe of gasket sealer. I just wasnt sure it you could go metal to metal and still get a seal. One of the guy's from the field where I fly said to go metal to metal.
Metal to metal actually works pretty good as long as both surfaces are machined flat and the pieces are made from the same material. There is actually a specific type of sealer made for machined surfaces but I can't remember what it's called. I normally just use a small amount of RTV. I've even used the clear window and door stuff from the hardware store with no problems.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that was going to be my second suggestion but it is difficult to do without the proper tool.

You need a very flat and very fine stone that is used as a honing stone. You can use the stone to flatten both surfaces to mate each other. But the stone has to be for that purpose and must be, as I said, very flat and very fine. You work the stone side to side and not circular, with very little pressure, and a good source of oil so that you don't grind the stone, but remove a very light surface from the aluminum you are working on.

It takes a delicate hand and some experience to do it right. Perhaps a machine shop can give you some pointers on how to do it, and may actually help you out with that.

CGr.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Missileman

Alot of new engines don't come with a gasket any more, if they are machined well metal to metal if preffered.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:18 PM
carrellh

First I'd go metal to metal. If it leaks, clean it well and try the silicone.

I have three two cycle engines and they're all metal to metal with no leaks:
OS 25 FX and Thunder Tiger 61 Pro did not come with gaskets (if I remember correctly). If either came with a gasket it was tossed into the trash.
ASP 61 came with a gasket but I did not use it.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the red hi temp silicone. It works well. I clean the 2 surfaces with a little bit of alcohol first. Dab a thin layer of the hi temp gasket stuff on one surface and assemble. Let harden overnight and no more leaks for me.