Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

autoshift/autogain remedial explanation

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

autoshift/autogain remedial explanation

Old 03-10-2008, 04:23 PM
jigeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autoshift/autogain remedial explanation

I am looking at buying the reciever in this link

http://www.hitecrcd.com/receivers/show?name=Supreme+IIS

I will be using a JR 8107 TX. In basic terms I understand this is a + shift transmitter. I'm assuming because the above reciever is "auto shift" that it will work just fine. I am unfamiliar with what "auto gain" means.
Basically, using the 8107 and Hitec RX should work fine, correct?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:10 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: autoshift/autogain remedial explanation

ORIGINAL: jigeye

I am looking at buying the reciever in this link

http://www.hitecrcd.com/receivers/show?name=Supreme+IIS

I will be using a JR 8107 TX. In basic terms I understand this is a + shift transmitter. I'm assuming because the above reciever is "auto shift" that it will work just fine. I am unfamiliar with what "auto gain" means.
Basically, using the 8107 and Hitec RX should work fine, correct?
"Auto Gain" is usually referred to as AGC or "Auto Gain Control". Virtually all modern radios have this in one form or another including your car radio. What it does is automatically kick up the amplification factors (or lower them) of the RX depending on whether you have a strong or weak signal.
From Kikipedia:
A very common and typical example is the AGC used in AM radio. Such a receiver is essentially linear—the sound volume is proportional to the radio signal strength, because the information content of the signal is carried by the changes of amplitude of the carrier wave. If the circuit were not linear, the modulation could not be recovered with reasonable fidelity. However, the strength of the signal received will vary widely, depending on the power and distance of the transmitter, and signal path attenuation. The AGC circuit keeps the receiver in its linear operating range by detecting the overall strength of the signal and automatically adjusting the gain of the receiver to maintain an approximately constant average output level. For a very weak signal the AGC has no effect; as the signal increases, the AGC reduces the gain.

I hope this helps clear it up some.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Missileman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: autoshift/autogain remedial explanation

And yes you are correct about auto shift. it will work with your positive shift radio, assuming the same frequency ie... 72Mhz and proper channel crystal.