Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
i am researching batteries...which voltage? >

i am researching batteries...which voltage?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

i am researching batteries...which voltage?

Old 03-08-2002, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am researching batteries...which voltage?

the trainer kit i got says to get a flat 600 mAh battery...but which voltage? i see 4.8, and 9.6 v. which one? or does it matter?
Old 03-08-2002, 08:14 PM
rwh

Default Yup, it matters!

4.8V
Old 03-08-2002, 08:18 PM

Default just read something

i just read what comes with the radio i would buy and all that i was looking up comes with it, servos, reciever, transmitter. Im very new to model RC planes, and got lots to learn. thanks though. what is the major difference? and what would happen if i was to use a 9.6?
Old 03-08-2002, 08:45 PM

If you used 9.6 on your reciver you would fry it the reciver should work with 4.8 - 6 volts but I would only go to the 6V. if you need realy fast servos you will not that for some time. The transmitter does have a 9.6 battery, both will come with your radio.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:57 PM
My Feedback: (8)

If you dont want to be stuck charging all the time, consider an 1100 ma NiCd or a 1650 ma NiMh. They don't cost that much more.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:06 PM

is the size different? its not that big of a trainor i dont think, dont know how big the battery compartment will be.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:48 PM

I assume you are going to buy a new radio system. They come complete with everything you need to fly. To start with stay with the equipment that comes with the radio.

Ed S
Old 03-09-2002, 02:09 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm with Ed here. Use what comes with your first radio. They work fine for 4 servos and trainer. Most are 600 to 700Mah rated at 4.8volts nowadays. That plenty for a days flying.
There's a whole lot to learn yet about batteries, that's a whole aspect of the hobby. You don't just want to throw batteries in your plane just because they are bigger, more capacity, etc..without knowing why you need it.
More capacity is usually found on planes running way more then 4 servos. You don't want to carry more then you need either, even though you can easily fit a 1500 or 1600Mah pack in your plane, it's way more weight, and way way more capacity than you need. This is where your batteries can build up memory, if your only touching the top of the charge, then bring it home, charge it again, then just touch the top again, and again. That's not good for your pack.
Also if you want to speed your servos up, you can run most flight-packs off of 6volts, but that in itself is not all you need to do. When going to higher voltage then you need to increase the capacity of your pack accordingly to compensate for the "push" the higher voltage will have. Higher voltage will literally push the power out of your pack faster, as there is more power there to carry it, so for higher voltage packs you need a bit more capacity as well. Sorry this is so long, I'm done. There is alot to learn, and I'm learning every day. This info is correct to the best of my knowledge....good luck.