Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Last roll call before placing order. Please Chime in, much appreciated

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Last roll call before placing order. Please Chime in, much appreciated

Old 03-30-2008, 03:23 PM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last roll call before placing order. Please Chime in, much appreciated

Alright here is the list from my current cart from hobby tower. Split into two order, Once is placed but can still be changed.

Order 1: Placed

Tower Hobbies #1 Tower Super Saver Club 14.99
Top Flite 11x6 Power Point Propeller 2.79
Great Planes Epoxy Mixing Sticks (50) 1.69
Great Planes Epoxy Brushes (6) 1.34
Hobbico Avistar 40 II MonoKote ARF .40,59" 99.99
Tower Hobbies 6-Minute Epoxy 4 oz 4.99
Tower Hobbies Digital LCD Mini-Tachometer 19.99
Master Airscrew 11x5 G/F G3 Nylon Propeller 2.59
APC 10.5x6 Sport Propeller 2.69

$20 Promotional Discount -20.00

Total Current Charges: $131.06

Order 2: In Cart
Thunder Tiger Pro .46 94.99
(1) Hitec HS-475HB Deluxe Karbonite Gear BB Servo 16.99
(3) Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servo 13.99
Hobbico Safety Stick Engine Starter 3.49
Great Planes Silicone Fuel Tubing Standard 3' 2.19
Tower Hobbies 30-Minute Epoxy 4 oz. 4.99
Great Planes Fingertip Prop Balancer 4.29

$20 Promotional Discount -20.00
Total Current Charges: $148.91

RADIO: Spektrum DX6i with AR6200 receiver.

So Far the Total is aroung $460 with the Radio gear. I started my budget at 300. Darn this hobby lol.

So what do you guys think? Missing something? Change something?

Old 03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Last roll call before placing order. Please Chime in, much appreciated

What are you using the Karbonite gear servo for?

I have owned 2 of the Avistars and both have the TT Pro .46. They are a great trainer and the combo will do very well for you. I guess the only thing I don't see in your cart that will definitely need either now or the near future is a glow ignitor and fuel pump of some sort.

Hobbico makes what they call the Field Pack deluxe
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL421&P=7
which will include some the items you already have, plus a glow ignitor and charger as well as a fuel pump and can fittings as well as some other goodies that may come in handy.

Other than that, looks like you are ready to...Good luck and have fun!!!!

T.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Jetdesign

Default RE: Last roll call before placing order. Please Chime in, much appreciated

Do you need: CA glue, Hand Fuel pump, Fuel, After run oil, Rechargeable glow plug ignitor, Prop reamer, Thread lock, Lead weights, 1/4" foam rubber, Voltwatch? These are all things I got with my first orders (except prop reamer and after run oil; still need to get both).
Old 03-30-2008, 03:48 PM
n19htmare

ORIGINAL: tsawyer148

What are you using the Karbonite gear servo for?

I have owned 2 of the Avistars and both have the TT Pro .46. They are a great trainer and the combo will do very well for you. I guess the only thing I don't see in your cart that will definitely need either now or the near future is a glow ignitor and fuel pump of some sort.

Hobbico makes what they call the Field Pack deluxe
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL421&P=7
which will include some the items you already have, plus a glow ignitor and charger as well as a fuel pump and can fittings as well as some other goodies that may come in handy.

Other than that, looks like you are ready to...Good luck and have fun!!!!

T.
The Karbonite is for the rudder/steer servo. the 3004 is for the Throttle, ailerons and elevator.

I'm an RC Car guy so plently of glow ignitors and plugs (os8, mc59, LC3) sitting around but what is recommended for the TT.46?

The hobbypack you linked to is nice but it includes some stuff I own already such as the glow igniter, plugs, charger, 4-way wrench. I do appreciate the link
I forgot about the pump so i'll add that, went with the tower hobby brand as it's a bit cheaper.

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat

Do you need: CA glue, Hand Fuel pump, Fuel, After run oil, Rechargeable glow plug ignitor, Prop reamer, Thread lock, Lead weights, 1/4" foam rubber, Voltwatch? These are all things I got with my first orders (except prop reamer and after run oil; still need to get both).
CA Glue: got some from the car side of the hobby both thin and thick.
Pump: See above just ordered, Thank you for reminding me though
After run, glow plugs, thread lock...all I have

Fuel: Local shops carry PowerMaster, Cool power, and cool power Omega. WHich of these do you all recommend?

Voltwatch: That would be nice actually for quick looks rather than busting out my voltmeter to measure.

Lead weights and foam rubber I forgot about so i'll get that... links to recs?

Lastly...RECEIVER BATTERY??? Please make some recommendations?

Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 PM
tsawyer148

Gotcha, but just as a side note, you could really get away with another 3004 for the steering/rudder.

The OS8 and the A3 work good, (both of them would be good choices). Another one I have tried with good success is one that Fox makes, (can't remember the number for sure and don't have any lying around ) with an idle bar. These are good when you are just starting out with a new motor and are trying to tune and break it in, (at least that is what I found with the Pro .46). It helps keep the idle a little smoother and are not as succeptable to deadsticks. They don't last as long though. I have also used F4 plugs with them and they do okay.

T.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:09 PM
n19htmare

how about the Hot long reach plugs like the MC-59 or the LC3? I got 12 of the LC3 left over from my car side...
Old 03-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat

Fuel: Local shops carry PowerMaster, Cool power, and cool power Omega. WHich of these do you all recommend?

Voltwatch: That would be nice actually for quick looks rather than busting out my voltmeter to measure.
I don't know much about fuel brands, but I would look at the contents. From all the posts I have seen in here, the best fuel for breaking in a Thunder Tiger is 10% nitromethane with an 18% lubrication blend of half castor oil and half synthetic oil.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Missileman

The Omega (pink) is a caster and synthetic blend. Get 10% Omega, your TTPro will love it. Mine does although I have moved on to 15% because my 4 strokes seem to run better.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:39 PM
n19htmare

sounds good

2 things remain still.

Battery and Battery Switch.

Do I need 4.8V or 6V. Servos are listed above and so is the Radio gear. Recommended amps? which cells?
What Do I need for a charger, something cheap would be nice. I currently have a [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynamite-Mega-1-AC-DC-Quick-NiCd-Charger-Revo-LST_W0QQitemZ6017922664QQihZ013QQcategoryZ34061QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcm dZViewItem]Dynamite Mega 1[/link] But from the looks of it, that is a 7.2V 4amp. I also have a Promax Blackwidow peakdetector but this also seems to be 7.2 but with selectable 2amp or 4amp. I have a feeling these are the wrong chargers. So whats a good cheap one to charge the rx back.

What about the switch? Do i need a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVJ45&P=7]Heavy Duty 3 wire[/link] or [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJC15&P=7]just a 2wire regular switch?[/link]

on a side note: $ is adding on pretty quick.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:43 PM
on pipe

Good Plane/engine combo! You will like that TT .46 and have a good engine for quite a few planes after this one. Don't know if your a newby or not, but I went through a lot of props when I started out. You may want to get a couple extra... Ross
Old 03-30-2008, 06:24 PM
snacker

I've needed some kind of foam rubber for every plane I've built so far, to wrap reciever, battery etc., also servo extentions and velcro.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:38 PM
seemefly_1

if it is not to late maybe one or two more packs of Great Planes Silicone Fuel Tubing Standard 3' for I make mistakes and make mine too short[:@]
Old 03-30-2008, 06:41 PM
tsawyer148

A two wire standard switch will be plenty. 4.8 volt will be plenty. Keep the plane light and simple. The engine has plenty of power but it is not an advanced aerobat by any means. It will teach you to take off and land and give you a taste of basic aerobatics, (loops, rolls, etc.), yet is still very forgiving.

You may want to go to someplace like www.servocity.com and see if you can put together what you need, (servos, battery, switch). If you catch them at the right time, they will have some pretty good sales.

I put together a quick shopping cart with 4 each S3004 servos, a standard Futaba 1,000mah NiCad battery and a standard Futaba switch harness with charge jack and the total was $79.86.

Don't know if that helps...

T.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:49 PM
NeedTape

I have the Avistar with a OS-46ax
I am on my second weekend of flying and I just Love this plane!! It is stable as can be but not a dog in the sky.
Beefing up the main gear so they dont spread helps on landing

I went with the DX7 and when flying it feels like its on a wire, your going to love it

Jim
btw I have gone through a few props already
Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 PM
n19htmare

ORIGINAL: tsawyer148

A two wire standard switch will be plenty. 4.8 volt will be plenty. Keep the plane light and simple. The engine has plenty of power but it is not an advanced aerobat by any means. It will teach you to take off and land and give you a taste of basic aerobatics, (loops, rolls, etc.), yet is still very forgiving.

You may want to go to someplace like www.servocity.com and see if you can put together what you need, (servos, battery, switch). If you catch them at the right time, they will have some pretty good sales.

I put together a quick shopping cart with 4 each S3004 servos, a standard Futaba 1,000mah NiCad battery and a standard Futaba switch harness with charge jack and the total was $79.86.

Don't know if that helps...

T.
Since I'm ordering from TH, I thought maybe I'll order once and not pay shipping on it. that's why all the shopping is being done at tower.

I'm wondering if I should just make my own 4.8V packs and shrink tube them. Good Idea? I'm pretty good at soldering or consider myself to be. I can get (2) 2400mah 4.8V Energizer packs because I have a brand new 8 pack sitting right here. Just need to buy the J connectors. Bad Idea?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 AM
gunfighterII

You should get a switch and battery pack with the radio.

Exchange the super saver club for an electric starter.
Trash the MAS prop, stick with APC while your learning.
Use the Powermaster or Omega fuel, make sure the Powermaster has castor. Avoid the green stuff, expecially with a bushed motor.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:35 AM
seemefly_1

Trash the MAS prop, stick with APC while your learning
No it is best to stay with MAS for they are more rugged and can take many prop strikes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 AM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: seemefly_1

Trash the MAS prop, stick with APC while your learning
No it is best to stay with MAS for they are more rugged and can take many prop strikes
I agree, stick with Master Airscrew while training then you can try something else. The truth is Master Aiscrew can handle more abuse, APC has better performance BUT not enough better to really notice on a trainer.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 AM
n19htmare

I'll make everyone happy , I ordered both MAS and APC. At the price of each prop , It's worth a shot to try them both out and see which one fancies me.

All orders were placed last night. From what I've read, It'd be a miracle if Tower Hobby ships them today, so chances are they'll ship tomorrow or wednesday. Which blows because of the transit time from IL is 5 days..... this pushes to the delivery of atleast next week. Baaah humbug i'm on spring break THIS week.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: n19htmare

I'll make everyone happy , I ordered both MAS and APC. At the price of each prop , It's worth a shot to try them both out and see which one fancies me.

All orders were placed last night. From what I've read, It'd be a miracle if Tower Hobby ships them today, so chances are they'll ship tomorrow or wednesday. Which blows because of the transit time from IL is 5 days..... this pushes to the delivery of atleast next week. Baaah humbug i'm on spring break THIS week.
I don't know where you read that at but I have many orders from Tower and they always ship the next day. I usually don't get a delivery conformation until the day after it ships but If I had ordered yesterday I would expect delivery on Wednesday, Thursday at the latest.(that is in Michigan shipping from Illinois, I believe they have a warehouse out your way so it may be about the same)
The prop thing. Some time in the future on another plane try a Graupner. I used my first graupner last year and love them.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I agreee with Missileman. I don't know where you heard that Tower delays shipping for a couple of days. I am routinely getting my orders in two days, three at the most and I am roughly 600 miles from them. I believe their other warehouse is in Reno (?). If they ship from there, you will more than likely have it in two days from when you place the order.

Enjoy
Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
gunfighterII

I have nothing against Master Airscrew props, if they are not the black ones.
I learned many, many years ago to stay away from these.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: gunfighterII

I have nothing against Master Airscrew props, if they are not the black ones.
I learned many, many years ago to stay away from these.
Not to argue and I don't know what the quality of MAS was many years ago but the current crop of MAS props are perfectly suited to training new pilots, scale and general sport flying. I haven't had a bad one yet.
I agree MAS is not for high performance.
Maybe it is time to spend a couple of bucks and re-evaluate them.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
n19htmare

well I had read it on another forum... They have shipped one of my orders (thunder Tiger and Servos). I did multiple orders to save $20 off $125. Seems to me they are ok on the shipping side. only reason i believed what others were saying about slow shipping was because on the orderstatus, they said a MINIMUM of 2 days to the order out. So I just went with what Tower Hobby said but that's probably just there as a cushion.

The order shipped from RENO so be here Wed or thursday, gives me somthing to plays with... well the breaking in the engine part
Old 03-31-2008, 05:10 PM
gunfighterII

Missleman,
I'll have to reconsider my statement about MAS props. I just looked at their new line-up of props and it seems the've made a few changes, I'll get a couple and try them out.

n19htmare,
It's hard to beat Tower on speed of service. Usually 2 days to get your stuff unless you go with the parts express, in that case they ship by snail mail, usually 3-5 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.