Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

It's done. First day at the club field, and I Solo'd

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

It's done. First day at the club field, and I Solo'd

Old 04-14-2008, 12:26 AM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's done. First day at the club field, and I Solo'd

Well wind was down today so I decided to go to the local club. Very nice and friendly people who were willing to help me get up in the air.

I did my first flight with a member's yard stick. I did pretty well for a first time and landed it well also for a first time.

Got my Avistar started and one of the fellas offered to do the first flight to make sure everything was trimmed out and whatnot. Took it up and the plane flew fantastically, straight as could be. I took over and flew around for a few minutes and then he landed the plane for me, while walking through all the steps.

next flight, I took the challenge to do a full solo, on my 2nd flight on my first day... a bit daring but I have been doing sims for way too long. Took off and made a few turns around strip, then banked in and lined up perfectly straight with the runway... got couple of bounces at the landing but overall a good one.

3rd flight with the Avistar was going well too until the engine shut off, (I think I didn't trim the Idle enough)... anyways, dead sticked it to the end of the runway.

So on my first day, I flew and landed a yard stick, and Solo'd my Avistar!, and dead sticked it in for practice...I'd say it went well

The people there wouldn't believe I've never flown before, I guess all those simulations paid off
Old 04-14-2008, 12:32 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: It's done. First day at the club field, and I Solo'd

Great job. Now all you have to do is exlain that smile on your face to everyone for the next two weeks!!!!

A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32440.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	928386  
Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 AM
n19htmare

Thanks Ken. The videos were great help during th build and alignment and why the plane flies so balanced . Thanks!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not done its only just begun, to suck all the extra $$out of your pockets.
I think its proof positive the sim is a great tool for learning the basics,your proof positive it really works congrats! on your first solo.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:13 AM
simmo8

good on ya !!!!
it is a realy good feeling a. now comes the $ .
happy flying

simmo
Old 04-14-2008, 05:30 AM
CGRetired

Congratulations! That''s great. I''ve always though that simulator practice does wonders, it did for me. But, it took me a bit longer than that to solo. You did good.

Now, just on the opposite side of this, please, practice a few things with your trainer, then as you move on, keep up the same practice. That''s emergency procedures.. mainly dead sticks. Do them from as many different locations as you can, either upwind, downwind, mid field, and so on. And also, do several touch-and-go landings per flying day. And do that with all your planes. Get to know how they behave on dead stick conditions, and how they perform on different types of landings (short, long, just right..). Each plane will perform differently so get used to those differences, but practice frequently.

All this works, believe me. I''ve lost only two aircraft due to crashes since I''ve started this hobby, and that''s a pretty good record. One was due to stupidity when I was flying in conditions that were well beyond my capabilities (I thought I could manage it, but was wrong.. and you will do that too), and the other one was due to a bit of instantaneous dyslexia.. aileron when I should have used rudder (right-stick vs. left-stick thing) and planted it right smack in the ground right in front of me during a take off at full throttle, and with a bit of elevator pulled. At four feet above the ground, a combination of full throttle, left aileron, and up elevator will plant just about all aircraft.. for sure. All these things happen to just about all of us. If it hasn''t yet, it will.

Anyway, enjoy your SOLO certificate from RCKen. Post it where you can see it, and.. well, let us know what you are planning for your second plane. We can (and will.. )give you all sorts of recommendations.

CGr.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! First milestone passed!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Missileman

Way to go.
Keep the instructor nearby for a little while, you have not yet seen some of the trouble you can get an airplane in to that an experienced hand can help get you out of.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Congrats N19htmare!!! Inspiring; I still have 2 more weeks before field opens!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 PM
shane.barton

n19htmare,

Congrats on the successful flights, especially in handling the dead stick! I hope to see your skillz when i get back in a few weeks! Like others have said already, keep practicing the basic maneuvers and at the same time throw in some inverted circuits and things of that nature. Oh, did you make it out to the slope you were telling me about? I just have to finish the Talon soon so i can try my hand at that.

-Shane
Old 04-14-2008, 12:21 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

CONGA RATS!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:20 PM
n19htmare

Thanks Shane.... I think I''ll drive up to the drones next week and see whats going on up there.
I have not gone to the slope I mentioned, I got 2 midterms this week and really didn''t spend that much time flying (only made 3 flights on sunday). Once I find it, I''ll let you know how it looks.
Chula Vista club wasn''t so bad, and you were right about Heli''s and big scale. i was the only one there in the small scale. There were about 5 or 6 helis, 3 large scale planes and lot of electric foam planes they flew while taking a break from the other stuff.
The guy that helped me, was a large scale flyer but was very nice and helpful. Hopefully, they stay helpful .

See you around!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
f_shawn68

Congrats on the solo. I was hoping to have the same story as you today. A mid air collision with my plane and another pilot and my instructor losing his giant giles 202 kinda put the screws to my solo attempt. Oh well, it will have to wait for another day I guess, but again, congrats on your solo.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Laird SS

You mean they didn't expect you to do any figure 8's, right- and left-hand patterns, touch and go, missed approaches to get a solo certificate? How come? Our club requires that of all pilots before they are cleared for solo. You had it too easy!
Old 04-19-2008, 05:28 PM
n19htmare

ORIGINAL: Laird SS

You mean they didn't expect you to do any figure 8's, right- and left-hand patterns, touch and go, missed approaches to get a solo certificate? How come? Our club requires that of all pilots before they are cleared for solo. You had it too easy!
Apparently not. Then again during my flight I wasn't struggling with the plane or anything so not sure. While I was there I did 2 dead stick landings, complete landing. Since Sunday I have a total of about 9 flights all solo. I don't have any problems doing 8s, patterns, touch and go.
Rules state: "Prospective new members, transient fliers and guest fliers are subject to the FOSR and shall demonstrate to a flying club member their ability to fly their airplane in a safe and controlled manner before being allowed to fly without assistance."
I guess they felt it was okay for me to on my first day since I did okay with the slow stick (which is no comparison to a 40 plane imo).

I went today but winds were high and there was no one there so I'll probably go tomorrow and see what they say about it.