Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Tower Trainer vs Avistar

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Tower Trainer vs Avistar

Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 AM
jentzsch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Trainer vs Avistar

I order to help keep costs down a little, I may be thinking of getting the Tower Trainer 40 ARF over the Avistar 40 ARF.

What do you guys think is a better choice and why?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:11 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Tower Trainer vs Avistar

I've flown and trained people on both of these planes. As far as flying capabilities they are pretty much even. Both fly well and both will serve you well. So when it comes to the price, the Tower Trainer is a hands down winner. Go with the Tower.

I learned to fly on a Tower Trainer myself. 12 years later, I still have it and it's still flying great!!

Ken
Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I just bought my first set up. What I would have done differently was spend less on the plane (i.e. buy the Tower Trainer) and more on the things that will transfer into #2 (i.e. went spread spectrum instead of FM).

I suggest the Tower Trainer. You definitely want a trainer, and then will want something different for your second this plane is only a gateway into flying much cooler stuff down the road.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've trained students on both. Both airplanes are excellent products. The Avistar is a slightly more capable airplane, but consequently is slightly more difficult to teach slower learning students with (not that you are one). You really can't go wrong either way, but since the price of the Tower trainer is better I would go with that.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM
HANGTIGHT

Are both these trainers the type that use rubber bands to hold the wings on?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:12 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: HANGTIGHT

yes, and welcome to the forum
Old 05-03-2008, 01:21 PM
HANGTIGHT

ORIGINAL: gamesbeer1

ORIGINAL: HANGTIGHT

yes, and welcome to the forum
Thank you.Going to get into this sport.Been doing alot of reading post on gear and planes.The more i read the more my ideals about what to start with changes.I really like the product review feature of this sight,Use it to find out what people think about engines and planes.Also notice that one of the things a begginer gets negative on rapidly is an engine that can't be broke in rapidly AND idle adjusted easily.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I've got both. The nice thing about the Tower Trainer is the cost of a replacement wing. It's cheaper. When I had my first Avistar, I don't know how many times I repaired rather than buy a new wing, because of cost. By the time you buy a replacement wing for the Avastar, $20 more and you have a whole new airplane. So I never bought a new wing. always repaired. With the Tower Trainer, I'm more likely to buy a new wing. Wish they made wing kits. One other thing, the Avistar fuse comes with some incredible wrinkles while my Tower trainer is much better. Wrinkles or not, the Avistar is a good plane and fun to fly.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:47 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The Avistar is a little more aerobat capable though, which means all he has to do when he's ready to move up is move the CG back and open up the control throws. It also handles the wind better, which is a big plus for new flyers IMO.
The trainers at my club swear by the Avistar and when asked, won't reccomend any other plane to new flyers.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:10 PM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I soloed on the Avistar that I still own and fly fairly regularly, even though the Avistar is almost 7 years old and shows it ( various patches, a somewhat rakishly backward swept nose gear from too many landings with not quite enough flair, etc., etc. ). It has been a rugged plane and I still enjoy flying it. As others have indicated, a good 46, some throw adjustment and you have a fine little aerobatic sport plane. Not knocking the Tower Trainer, but I bet you would find that you`d be flying and enjoying an Avistar for quite a while!
Old 05-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I've flown and trained people on both of these planes. As far as flying capabilities they are pretty much even. Both fly well and both will serve you well. So when it comes to the price, the Tower Trainer is a hands down winner. Go with the Tower.

I learned to fly on a Tower Trainer myself. 12 years later, I still have it and it's still flying great!!

Ken

I agree with Ken and it is easy as heck to put together. When I checked the CG it was balanced at setup. I had a powerline eagle trainer prior to this that cost $119 and the Tower is $69. My experience with putting this plane together and flying it is tons the best, Hands down.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Tom Nied

I'd say if you're a rank beginner, go with the Tower Trainer. Lots of stability and you can still have fun with it. If you want to spend just a little more, go with the Avistar. It's got some extra aerobatic training ability. I don't think you can go wrong with either. That's why I picked up my second Avistar.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree the that Avistar is aerobatic. But don't count out the Tower Trainer either. I can take off, roll inverted, fly the pattern inverted, do outside loops, roll upright and land. The Tower Trainer will do most other aerobatics as well. It's a great little plane at a great price.

Ken
Old 05-04-2008, 01:34 AM
jentzsch

I have decided to go with the Tower Trainer ARF. 1 for cost, and 2 for a little building experience.

I have also decided on the thunder tiger pro .46 engine and most likely the futaba 6ch tx, rx, and servo set for 230.

I am still kinda leaning toward the ch futaba setup.

I just cant decide to spend the money up front for the 6ch as i may not continue for a long period of time in the hobby.... then again if I do, then I will want the 6ch tx set up...

ugh... the choices!!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:01 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: jentzsch

I just cant decide to spend the money up front for the 6ch as i may not continue for a long period of time in the hobby.... then again if I do, then I will want the 6ch tx set up...

ugh... the choices!!!!
Buying a 4 channel radio system for about 120 would be a good choice. Simple to use, works great, small investment. Even if you decide to go 'hog wild' in the hobby you can use the 4 channel system in your trainer forever.

If you decide to get out, hopefully you can sell the complete ready to fly trainer setup for about half of what you spent on it. Losing half of 120 is better than losing half of 230.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:55 AM
HANGTIGHT

Would a 4 channel system work for a second plane such as a Cub?Are would you need more channels?
Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 AM
shane.barton

The 4 channel would work fine for your typical cub, dedpending on size and servo requirements (4-5 servos)
Old 05-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Tom Nied

jentzsch, the Tower Trainer is a fine choice and you can have a blast with it for a long time. The TT Pro 46 is a good choice as well. I've been flying for RC for 9 years and still like to have a trainer around just to have fun with. A trainer can always teach you something, in my opinion. The radio decision can be tough, but I think even a good new 4 channel like the Futaba you describe would serve you well. I'd have to agree with Carrell on his thoughts on that. I don't know if that radio is a "computer" type radio, but when I started, I bought the then economical Hitec Flash 4. It works well and I like the ability of having some of the benefits a "computer" type radio can offer. Eventually bought a Hitec Flash 5, also economical and works well. If you're definitely not sure if you'll stay in the hobby, get a good new 4 channel system. Believe me if you stay in the hobby, you'll be buying another radio system, and you can splurge then for all the bells and whistles. But there's nothing wrong with having good solid simple economical equipment.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:27 PM
jimgee1
My Feedback: (3)

jentzsch, Looks like you're on the right path to enter this great hobby. Find a local AMA club if possible. There you'll find the help and community of interest to enjoy the hobby. Take advantage of the available resources the club offers. i.e. club trainer aircraft, buddy box, qualified instructors, flight simulators, and on and on.. Club members will want you to succeed as much as you want to! Club swap meets will make equipment available at great prices.

Don't rush. Take your time and choose the right instructor. Many years ago I had "Crash Eddie" help me because the club instructor wasn't at the field yet. Needless to say, Eddie got busy chatting with a flying-buddy while I was airborne and wandered away. My kit-built RCM Basic Trainer did a figure 9, straight-in full throttle. I as heart-broken and left the hobby for a number of years.. I'm back now, older and wiser..

Jimgee
Old 05-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Tom Nied

Yeah, that's really the best advice. Find somebody who can really help you in the beginning. That will probably be your best investment.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:18 PM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

I was also stuck between the tower and the Avistar. I went with the Avistar as it had a semi symmetrical wing along with a bit less default dihedral. Which allows the plane to be a bit more aerobatic while still having all the characteristics of a trainer.
If you are on a tight budget, I'd go for the tower, it's still nice plane with MUCH better build instructions.
If you got the extra cash, you will not regret buying the Avistar. It's a very nice plane and built VERY well. The instructions are sub-par and not included so you have to get them from Hobbico's website. But I referenced the manual for the tower more (It's the same build directions wise).

So far it's been going great with the Avistar, got about 25 or so flights on it now.