Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

skyfly versus kyosho Calmato 40 RTF Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

skyfly versus kyosho Calmato 40 RTF Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 AM
blitzskiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skyfly versus kyosho Calmato 40 RTF Trainer

I went to my LHS to see what i could get for a first time plane and they recommended me to the skyfly, but after surfing i ran across the kyosho Calmato 40 RTF Trainer. What should I get? I have a huge 10 acer sod farm in my neighborhood that the owner wouldn't mind letting me fly at during summer time. or should i get the kyosho Calmato 40 RTF Trainer as a second plan?
thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Fastsky

Default RE: skyfly versus kyosho Calmato 40 RTF Trainer

If you have to go it alone I would suggest the Skyfly to start with. The Calmato will fly and react too fast for a new flyer to try to train with with out being on a buddy box and having an instructor ready to take control when things go wrong. [8D]
Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
What does "Skyfly" look like?
Everyone knows what the Kyosho Calmato looks like but Skyfly??
Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 AM
blitzskiff

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
What does "Skyfly" look like?
Everyone knows what the Kyosho Calmato looks like but Skyfly??
[link=http://kyosho Calmato 40 RTF Trainer]skyfly[/link]
Old 05-04-2008, 10:07 AM
blitzskiff

ORIGINAL: Fastsky

If you have to go it alone I would suggest the Skyfly to start with. The Calmato will fly and react too fast for a new flyer to try to train with with out being on a buddy box and having an instructor ready to take control when things go wrong. [8D]
aw, would i need someone to buddybox with if it were my second plane?
Old 05-04-2008, 11:01 AM
shane.barton

I'd go with the SkyFly if I were to go alone, again. I got a SkyFly when I got interested in the hobby. It has suttle movements and isn't very fast. The biggest beef I had with it was the fishing line control lines used for the elevator and rudder. Be sure also to tape the hinges in the elevator and rudder, they tend to eventually break at the hinge points, not something you want during a flight (trust me on that!).

HOWEVER

If you can get someone to help you out, go with the Calmato hands down because you can do loads more with a 40 sized glow plane over a 380 electric glider/plane.

-Shane
Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 PM
blitzskiff

could i handle the kyosho Calmato 40 RTF Trainer alone if it were my second plane.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:11 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

That really depends on what your first plane was.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:24 PM
blitzskiff

ORIGINAL: overbored77

That really depends on what your first plane was.
if it was a sky fly
Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Fastsky

I would say not likely. I would suggest you look on the web for a flight sim called FMS. You can get the program on disc and a controller for about $20.00. Crashing doesn't cost you anything and you can get an idea of how you make out controlling a glow powered plane on your own. Between the electric and the flight sim, you will have a much better chance of getting the Calmato back on the ground in 1 piece. Its a good idea to have a sim any way for practice after a long winter before heading to the field. [8D]
Old 05-05-2008, 03:10 PM
blitzskiff

ORIGINAL: Fastsky

I would say not likely. I would suggest you look on the web for a flight sim called FMS. You can get the program on disc and a controller for about $20.00. Crashing doesn't cost you anything and you can get an idea of how you make out controlling a glow powered plane on your own. Between the electric and the flight sim, you will have a much better chance of getting the Calmato back on the ground in 1 piece. Its a good idea to have a sim any way for practice after a long winter before heading to the field. [8D]
okay ill look into it. thanks for all the help
Old 05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
opjose

The Calmato is an excellent second, plane and could be used as a first PROVIDED someone is there to train you.

It will hold up better for you over time and it will keep your interest.

I'd recommend that you find a club, join, go through their training sessions bringing out your shiny new Calmato.

You'll be glad you did, though you can kiss a large number of greenbacks goodbye, as you'll become hopelessly addicted.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 PM
blitzskiff

ORIGINAL: opjose

The Calmato is an excellent second, plane and could be used as a first PROVIDED someone is there to train you.

It will hold up better for you over time and it will keep your interest.

I'd recommend that you find a club, join, go through their training sessions bringing out your shiny new Calmato.

You'll be glad you did, though you can kiss a large number of greenbacks goodbye, as you'll become hopelessly addicted.

on average how much does a flying club cost? I am only 14 and i would have to pay for it[&o]
Old 05-05-2008, 04:43 PM
opjose

For the younger set there are reduced fees for both the clubs and the AMA.

I'd suggest you look on the AMA site's club finder for clubs in your area.

The club fees come back to you in use of the facilities, club events, participation in contests, raffles, and often free training.

Some clubs permit you to utilize club trainers for your first flights, which may save you the need and cost of buying a trainer too!

AMA in turn gives you liability insurance which you must have, to avoid being sued when you accidentally bop someone's beamer with your nice new plane.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM
blitzskiff

For the younger set there are reduced fees for both the clubs and the AMA.

I'd suggest you look on the AMA site's club finder for clubs in your area.

The club fees come back to you in use of the facilities, club events, participation in contests, raffles, and often free training.

Some clubs permit you to utilize club trainers for your first flights, which may save you the need and cost of buying a trainer too!

AMA in turn gives you liability insurance which you must have, to avoid being sued when you accidentally bop someone's beamer with your nice new plane.

i found this [link=http://www.swaprc.org/]SWAP[/link] its not that bad only like 70 dollars. Any thoughts on that club? Are these clubs breeding ground for those people who take everything seriously?
EDIT: i had to fix the link
Old 05-06-2008, 07:07 AM
blitzskiff

how hard are ducted fans planes to fly? i saw some youtube videos of them and they look sweet.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Fastsky

Ducted fans seem to need to be a at almost full throttle all the time for reasonable flight. At lower throttle settings there is not as much air moving across the control surfaces as compared to an open prop type plane. This makes the control more mushy at lower speeds. These 2 things make ducted fan type planes more suited for an experieced flyer. May be just my opinion though. [8D]
Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Missileman

To answer the cost question.
AMA for under 19 is only $1 per year (without the magazine)
Most clubs have reduced rates for youth fliers, all 3 of the clubs around me give free youth memberships. Check with your local clubs.
Even if they charge $70 as mentioned in one of your post you will save far more in repair cost from go it alone crashes.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:38 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: blitzskiff

i found this [link=http://www.swaprc.org/]SWAP[/link] its not that bad only like 70 dollars. Any thoughts on that club? Are these clubs breeding ground for those people who take everything seriously?
What do you mean by "seriously".

Our club takes SAFETY very seriously. I'm very glad they do.

These planes have high powered Ginsu knifes on their tips, and I've already been on the receiving end of their effects.

The clubs also take their "fun" seriously too... with hilarious events, meetings and funflies.

Most clubs are also serious about helping out newbies, and attempt to prevent them from buying poor equipment and also crashing their planes.

$70.00 ( you'll also need AMA fees ) is a bargain for the use of a field, with upkeep, etc. events, etc... that plus all of the help you tend to get, training, etc. No one is obligated to do any of this ( something that every new club member should remember! )... but usually everyone seems to pitch in and help the "new guys" because of their own love to the hobby.

You may want to show up at the field one day on a Saturday and get a feel how things are. Also attend a meeting before you join.
This will let you see how everyone is and behaves.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Missileman

These planes have high powered Ginsu knifes on their tips, and I've already been on the receiving end of their effects.

The clubs also take their "fun" seriously too... with hilarious events, meetings and funflies.

Most clubs are also serious about helping out newbies, and attempt to prevent them from buying poor equipment and also crashing their planes.

$70.00 ( you'll also need AMA fees ) is a bargain for the use of a field, with upkeep, etc. events, etc... that plus all of the help you tend to get, training, etc. No one is obligated to do any of this ( something that every new club member should remember! )... but usually everyone seems to pitch in and help the "new guys" because of their own love to the hobby.

You may want to show up at the field one day on a Saturday and get a feel how things are. Also attend a meeting before you join.

Most of the guys I fly with are happy go lucky and joke around and have a great time, we all take safety seriously and you should too. It beats going to the hospital with your severed fingers wrapped up in a towl.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:06 PM
blitzskiff

what i mean by seriously is if a ask a dumb noob question they get mad. There a lot of people like the at some Tracks i know of and LHS. BUT I take Safely seriously and having a good time seriously too.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:22 PM
opjose

Nah, if you take the time to come out to the field, you will usually be very well received.

Some of us make a point of welcoming anyone new.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 PM
blitzskiff

Nah, if you take the time to come out to the field, you will usually be very well received.

Some of us make a point of welcoming anyone new.

okay thats good. I going to see if that place has rentals so i don't have to spend my money on something ill outgrow or have no use for when I am done with it.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:35 PM
opjose

Many clubs have "club trainers", these are not rented.

If you show up for scheduled training without a plane, you are normally permitted to use the club trainer.

But always check to see if the club has them available. Some clubs do not or cannot afford to do this.

We have two trainers usuable by novices during training sessions, and four others for training during kid's summer camps.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
blitzskiff

Many clubs have "club trainers", these are not rented.

If you show up for scheduled training without a plane, you are normally permitted to use the club trainer.

But always check to see if the club has them available. Some clubs do not or cannot afford to do this.

We have two trainers usuable by novices during training sessions, and four others for training during kid's summer camps.

sweet. How hard are low-winged aircraft to fly? BTW opjose you have some nice models.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.