Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

OS 50SX HANGAR 9 PIZAZZ WHAT TO DO????

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

OS 50SX HANGAR 9 PIZAZZ WHAT TO DO????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
mitchsnap
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 50SX HANGAR 9 PIZAZZ WHAT TO DO????

Hi everyone. Picked up a Hangar 9 Pizazz at a local swap meet with a OS 50SX engine and JR 517/537 servos for $100.00. The plane is RTF with a crystal and my transmitter. It seems as if the OS 50SX has had some bearing problems according to the posts on this site and was wondering if I should pull the engine and install something else or run it the way it is. The seller stated it ran and flies well and he is a member of the club I recently joined. The plane is in great shape and would hate to have a deadstick because of a bearing problem and crash as I'm a new pilot. All responses are appreciated. Thanks to all.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS 50SX HANGAR 9 PIZAZZ WHAT TO DO????

How new of a pilot are you? If this will be your first or even second plane, hold off for a while until you are ready for it.

As for the engine, how do the bearings feel? If they seem OK, I'd run the thing. Chances are it will be just fine.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:11 AM
NorfolkSouthern

If you are planning this as your second plane or even your third plane, then DON'T! They no longer make the Pizazz, and it has become a collector's item. I wouldn't even consider flying it until you've had lots of experience with its modern counterpart, the Twist. After you have MASTERED the Twist, and have your engine tuned well enough to eliminate the risk of deadsticks, THEN take the Pizazz out. And when you DO fly the Pizazz, avoid any any maneuvers that you feel may put your plane at risk. If you ever have to do repairs, it will never look the same. If you total your Pizazz in a crash, you may never be able to replace it!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 AM
spiral_72

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

If you are planning this as your second plane or even your third plane, then DON'T! They no longer make the Pizazz, and it has become a collector's item. I wouldn't even consider flying it until you've had lots of experience with its modern counterpart, the Twist. After you have MASTERED the Twist, and have your engine tuned well enough to eliminate the risk of deadsticks, THEN take the Pizazz out. And when you DO fly the Pizazz, avoid any any maneuvers that you feel may put your plane at risk. If you ever have to do repairs, it will never look the same. If you total your Pizazz in a crash, you may never be able to replace it!

NorfolkSouthern
Really!? I was given a more that slightly used Pizzaz. Actually after some extensive repairs I maindened it Sunday and flew the wings off yesterday. It's an awesome plane that'll do ANYTHING..... I knew they didn't make it any more but, didn't realize it was a collectors item or anything. Wow. maybe I should be more careful with it.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anything about the Pizazz but I do know somethign about the OS 50. I have one and have many flights on it. So far, no bearing issues. Fly it until you do. You may never encounter any problems with it at all. Mine is fine. And has lots of power.

I originally had it on a Ripmax Rapier flying wing. That was a real stormer, for sure. We clocked it with a police RADAR gun at 121.5 mph one day. And, the guy that was flying it (not me.. [X(] way to much for me back then.. I would definitely consider it now, but not back then) said that we could get more speed out of it with a change in props. I was fully satisfied with it. That engine really pulled that plane along. What was interesting was that it flew so easily. I flew it quite a few times, but never on a speed run like that. It was a hand launch plane with no landing gear, just a long skid on the bottom. The prop had to be mounted so that when the engine was shut down for landing, it was horizontal with the wings. And it would glide down and land perfectly. I miss that thing!!! (I sold it.. [&o] )

CGr.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:50 PM
mitchsnap
My Feedback: (33)

Was wondering what info I could get regarding this "PIZAZZ" as being a collectible. What makes it so collectible??????? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 PM
delman

I currently have a pizazz powered by a 50sx - it is a good flying combination. My engine had bearing failure while in a twist but I rebuilt it - has bin a very good engine since then for over 3 years. The pizazz might be heavier than the twist but does not have the coupling the twist has in knife edge flight - flys very stable. I like it better than my magnum 52xls powered twist. The pizazz [#3] was found at a swap meet new-in-box last fall.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most R/C models lose the "collectable" status once they are out of the box. As far as I know there is no "investment grade" model airplane. But heck, ebaY has proven to me that anything can be sold for more than all but two folks thought possible (the seller and the highest bidder who is convinced they "won" something no one else would pay as much for).

There are plenty enough reasons an engine would stop short of bearing failure. Fly it as is. I had an SK-50 engine that I never had a full flight out of for more than two dozen tries. (Finally swapped out the carb for a Perry & it's been fine since). The old saying of flying "two mistakes high" is a good one. If you are flying stalled in high-alpha "3-D" and the motor konks that is just Darwin's way of saying "fly the wings and not the engine".
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM
soinks
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know where I can get a canopy for the pizazz. Everything else is like new on the plane but don't want to fly it without the canopy. If anyone can help I'll appreciate it.

Thanks Soinks,
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Collectible??? As for the bearing problem? Once in a while when a new engine hits the market there can be a problem like chrome peeling or maybe a bearing? OS takes care of any problems they hear of pretty quick and no more problem. If it's been used then chances are it's OK and nothing to worry about. If you do have a worry then a new set of bearings from rcbearing.com is about $15.00 for the set. Bearing replacing takes a couple hours or less and is very easy. You will usually hear and feel a bearing problem before the engine develops a problem. A dead stick landing is easier then with the engine running but you only get one shot at it. Most people land better dead stick anyway. Full and complete concentration.