Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

The NexSTAR arf cost more to outfit than the RTF

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

The NexSTAR arf cost more to outfit than the RTF

Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 PM
richb1492
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The NexSTAR arf cost more to outfit than the RTF

I was checking out the price of a NexStar arf and all the stuff to get it in the air and as I added the cost of the parts I realized thatits cheaper by about 200.00 to but the RTF and sell the parts I dont need off later.
Am I the only person to notice that?

ARFS cost less than Kits

And some RTF cost less than all the parts to outfit an ARF
Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: The NexSTAR arf cost more to outfit than the RTF

IMHO the Nexstar RTF package is WAY overpriced. It comes with a lot of gadgets that most instructors have the student remove before training. Because of this I usually recommend that people stay away from the RTF. When it comes down to it the Nexstar flies pretty much the same as any other of the major trainers, so it really boils down to pricing to differentiate between them. Because of this I recommend that students take a good hard look at the Tower Trainer RTF if they are looking at a Ready To Fly package. The entire package runs $249 and you can usually apply a Tower discount to that to lower the price even more. I've trained lots of students on the Nexstar, the Tower, and many other trainers and the Tower is quite a capable bird. In fact, I learned on one 12 years ago, and I still have it today as a matter of fact.

Ken
Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
ChuckW

What are you basing that on?

The Nexstar RTF sells for $379 currently.

To get the ARF flying it breaks down as follows:

Nexstar ARF: $99
OS .46-AX engine: $104.99 (This is better than the .46-FXi included with the RTF but you could use even less expensive engines if you wanted)
Futaba 4-channel radio system: $119.99 (this will come with a better receiver than the RTF)
Total: 323.98

The ARF costs $54 less. Sure you don't get the AFS system but most people unhook that because it is a pain. You also don't get simulator software but the included sim with the RTF is limited.

Both the ARF and the RTF require additional field gear and fuel.

The way I figure it, the ARF is less expensive. What engine and radio gear are you factoring in?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:39 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: RCKen

IMHO the Nexstar RTF package is WAY overpriced. It comes with a lot of gadgets that most instructors have the student remove before training. Because of this I usually recommend that people stay away from the RTF. When it comes down to it the Nexstar flies pretty much the same as any other of the major trainers, so it really boils down to pricing to differentiate between them. Because of this I recommend that students take a good hard look at the Tower Trainer RTF if they are looking at a Ready To Fly package. The entire package runs $249 and you can usually apply a Tower discount to that to lower the price even more. I've trained lots of students on the Nexstar, the Tower, and many other trainers and the Tower is quite a capable bird. In fact, I learned on one 12 years ago, and I still have it today as a matter of fact.

Ken
I agree, the Tower Trainer is great. I got one after crashing my Nexstar. The RTF package is nice. You could also do the ARF with a .46-LA (plenty of engine for the plane) and a Futaba radio for $257.97. Plus Tower always has $25-$30 coupons.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

When I see my Nexstar ARF next to the Tower Trainer (or most other trainers for that matter) on the ground AND in the sky, I'm very happy that I got the Nexstar. All of the add-ons that come with the ARF do their job very well; they make your first few flights slower and easier so you have more time to react to things like wind or dumb thumbs. They come off very easily, and the plane flies faster and is more maneuverable.

The Tower Trainer does work well, and does last a long time, and is $25 less. To me, the looks, the bolt-on wing instead of rubber bands, the bolt-on tail, AND THE EASIER ASSEMBLY (no gluing =) all make it worth the few extra dollars. It is built like a rock and will last a long time, too.

Either way, like was said above the ARF is not more expensive than the RTF. The equipment above is better than what comes with the RTF, and the total price is less.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat
the bolt-on tail, AND THE EASIER ASSEMBLY (no gluing =)
A little CA and epoxy never killed anyone. Well, maybe they did after long term exposure but still it's not so bad.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat
the bolt-on tail, AND THE EASIER ASSEMBLY (no gluing =)
A little CA and epoxy never killed anyone. Well, maybe they did after long term exposure but still it's not so bad.
I've also seen a lot of people having landing gear problems and broken/damaged wing bolt problems with their Nexstars. I'll take the simplicity of the Tower Trainer over and overpriced Nexstar any day of the week. The RTF price is even more of a joke for the Nexstar and all of its unneeded crap. The gimmicks on the Nexstar are virtually worthless IMO, better to get a good instructor and learn how to fly properly from the onset.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 AM
goirish

G'morning Bruce.

I have to agree with you. I have both the tower trainer and the Nexstar. Much rather fly the tower plane. I don't have all the hardware on my Nexstar and it still does not fly as good as the tower model.. Just my 2c worth.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Nexstar that I picked up really cheap. In fact, it was free. One of our club members had crashed it, and rather than replace it, he took out the engine and electronics and put them into a Tower Trainer. He liked the Tower much more than the Nexstar.

I keep the Nexstar around to do demo flights for newbies. I've been powering it with a 46 LA that was sitting around, and I'm replacing that with a Thunder Tiger GP 61. Should be a hoot to fly with that.

Brad