Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Pulse XT 40 without dihedral?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Pulse XT 40 without dihedral?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
F-15 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulse XT 40 without dihedral?

I am curious to know how the Pulse flies without dihedral. Has anyone ever done this before? I figured that since I was rebuilding the thing right now, figure out if it would be a little more fun (not to say that it already isn't).
Old 05-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Pulse XT 40 without dihedral?

Does it seem difficult to remove the dihedral? Let us know how it works!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:59 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am by no means an aerodynamic expert but I would imagine that the dihedral is beneficial on this low wing plane. My guess is that removing it would cause stability issues and create some unusual characteristics but I could be wrong. If it flys good, I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
rc_monster

I removed the dihedral on my nexstar and flew like a whole different plane... but I'd prolly leave it as is on the pulse.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc_monster

I removed the dihedral on my nexstar and flew like a whole different plane... but I'd prolly leave it as is on the pulse.
The Nexstar is a high wing plane and the dihedral was added to the design for added stability and self-correcting characteristics. Removing it will definitely add maneuverability. I've even heard of people adding anhedral to a high wing airplane. Being a low wing though, I would think that the Pulse needs that dihedral. To me, it seems like it would be similar to constantly trying to fly a high wing plane inverted if the wing on the Pulse were flat (not exactly stable). Like I said though, I am definitely not a design guru.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It's a tough call. One side of my brain says that the dihedral actually moves the center of gravity more inline with the wings, as opposed to sitting above the wings. Here, removing dihedral would cause severe instability once the plane has been rolled over. The other side of my brain is thinking about the lift aspect of the dihedral, and wondering what it is doing for the plane. Unfortunately I only know the physics part, and not the aerodynamics part.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:05 AM
plugin

ORIGINAL: rc_monster

Would you recommend this modification? I've grown tired of the same ol' limitations of the NexStar. How would you go about doing this? just bending the metal rod?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it. Yaw stability will be different, but the Pulse can handle it.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 PM
rc_monster

Definately! The NexStar has way to much dihedral anyways, I think you'll be surprised how much difference it actually makes. I put the metal rod in a vise and used my weight and bent it in small increments test fitting it each time in the wing until I was satisfied and the wing was straight. I bolted the wing on the fuselage and measured from the ground to the wing tips to assure everything was even. Took it up and had a blast, I set it up so I get more throw out of my ailerons and it rolls quite well for a high wing. Inverted flight all day and pretty nice looking snap rolls to. You'll have to give an update and let us know how you like it. Good Luck.