Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Reciever battery help

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Reciever battery help

Old 05-20-2008, 11:42 PM
jjkirby
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reciever battery help

I have a hangar 9 hellcat with 5 futaba s3004 servos and a JR 791 high torque retract servo. The retract servo has 260oz. torque @ 4.8 volts and is the recommended servo for the restract system. I cant seem to get my retract servo to work at all with my reciever battery. I have a 6.0 volt NiMh 2000mAh battery as my reciever battery. I am getting plenty of power to everything else except my rertact servo. I charged the reciever battery using my Triton 2 charger and the battery is fully charged. Even if I hook up just the retract servo I still dont get anything. However when I hook up a 25 amp E-flite ESC with a 11.1 volt 1800 lipo I get power and the retract servo along with everything else works fine. This tells me that I dont have enough power to power the retract servo and I need options as to how to get enough power to power everything. I have the Futaba Faast system and the reciever is rated up to a 6.0 volt battery for a reciever battery so I cant go any higher. I need to know what I can do or if there is anything that I can buy to get everything working or whatever options that might work. Thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reciever battery help

You may have a bad retract servo...???
Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would agree. Something definitely isn't right. That servo should have more than enough muscle to retract the gear even at 4.8 volts. Look at getting it replaced.

Ken
Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 AM
jjkirby

Ok Thanks guys I finally got it figured out. The servo works just fine but is only rated for a 4.8 volt system and when I hooked up my 6.0 battery it would cut itself off. SO I just need a 4.8 volt battery or a regulator which I have and I installed it and BAM works like a charm.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
"Cut itself off"!?
I haven't seen any JR or Futaba servo that hasn't worked on 6V (even if they arn't rated for 6V).
Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Missileman

I know for a fact that some digital Futaba servos will not work with 6V
Old 05-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Flying freak

You could run a small (600mah or so) battery pack just for that servo it would also mean that if it should jam it cant pull current form your main battery and down your plane...

Steven
Old 05-21-2008, 05:39 PM
jjkirby

Well i contacted Horizon hobby today about the JR servo and a technician told me flat out that the JR 791 Retract servo will not work with a 6.0 volt system and was never intended to be on a 6.0 system. Funny how they didnt tell me this stuff till after I bought the servo and battery at the same time . On well live and learn I guess... Anyways I put a 4.8 1400mAh sanyo in there and everything works fine. Just remember this for whoever else buys this servo that it will not work on a 6.0 volt system. thanks everybody
Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 AM
speedair

id use a sepperate battery for the retract servo