Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Came into some money.... what to get.. :)

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Came into some money.... what to get.. :)

Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 PM
jentzsch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Came into some money.... what to get.. :)

Ok, I have some monies available, 200 bucks. I know it may not seem like a lot, but thats besides the point....

I have the Hanger 9 Solo Sport Trainer. Its used, well used, and that will be my trainer plane.

I have thought of getting the Arrow of Avistar, as they are semi-symmetrical airfoil, as a back up trainer....

I am a big war bird guy, after seeing them, and I love the look of the P-51.

Next: I heard that the O.S. .46AX is going to get phased out.... and the O.S. .55AX is the better way to go. Heck, it only weighs 14.30 oz vs the .46 at 17.25, and the .55 makes 1.750 bhp vs the .46 at 1.650...

So, what should I do....

Also, I have been looking into the Herr Cloud Ranger for my first build plane, just a side note.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Came into some money.... what to get.. :)

The Solo Sport will make a fine trainer. I'm flying a Solo Star myself right now, and it's a good solid flyer.

The .46 AX isn't going anywhere, it will be sold along side the .55 AX for the forseeable future.

If you need an engine and radio to go with your Solo Sport, you can do it for less than $200.

The folks at http://www.hobbypeople.net are selling the Airtronics VG400 radio system with a 7-channel receiver and 4 standard servos all for $99.99. It's a great radio with all of the flight pack accessories you'll need including power switch and receiver battery.

The .46 AX is a great engine, but just a touch expensive for your remaining budget. I'd normally recommend the Magnum XLS .46A as a good alternative, but Hobby People is out of stock on that model at the moment. I'd recommend you consider instead the excellent Thunder Tiger Pro .46 engine. It's widely available in the $85 to $90 price range, and it's as good of a .46-size 2-stroke as there is on the market at any price.

If your local hobby store doesn't stock the TT Pro .46, you can always order one from the folks at:

http://www.thundertiger4u.com

http://www.radicalrc.com

http://www.infinitehobbies.com

http://www.ehobbies.com

http://www.towerhobbies.com

You add a TT Pro .46 and an Airtronics VG400 radio system to a Hangar 9 Solo Sport trainer ARF and you'll have one very nice flying glow trainer!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

This hobby can certainly take us over... especially at first. As someone who is on their second season and 8th plane.... Take it one plane at a time. Dont buy today what you think you will need for the next plane 6 months from now cause chances are you might decide on something different. I had the Avistar with a Super Tiger 45 on it. I LOVED THAT PLANE. I really learned alot on it. Much better than a basic trainer> Also cheap. I recently sold it as it was collecting dust...I kind of regret selling it. I give it 2 thumbs up! Easy as a trainer..but gives you a more than the basic trainer to play with some aerobatics. If you have a 40 something on your solo sport...transplant it to the avistar after you're done with that. Once you get really really good on these..THEN decide what type of plane is next. My opinion is alot of beginners fall in love with planes because of how they look....but as you get better, you will be looking for performance...which might not mean the same plane you thought you wanted. Im generalizing.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:26 PM
jentzsch

I already have radio gear. Futaba 6ch and 4 JR servos with futaba Rx.

I got my magnum XL 40 engine tuned up much better today, so as far as engine goes, im ok there for a bit. What about Evolution engines? They seem to be very popular with the Hanger 9 RTF's.

I know I will crash and burn at some point. May be bad, may not, but having a back up cant be bad at all.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Ahh, your trainer is already complete! I obviously misunderstood what you were asking.

If you like warbirds and you want a good second plane, the H9 Mustang P-51 PTS ARF might be a good choice. I don't have any stick time on the P-51 PTS, but it's a fun low wing sport plane by most all accounts.

I'd also encourage you to look at the World Models T-34 Mentor ARF. For $129.99, it's reasonably priced but also very versatile. The WM T-34 ARF is used as a low wing trainer, as a beginner's pattern ship, and even as a club pylon racer:

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=46

It would be a lot of fun to fly once you're ready to learn aerobatics. You could buy one of these along with a Magnum XLS .46A and have the thing built and ready to put your radio gear into it once your trainer expires.

Evolution engines are popular because they are what comes bundled with Hangar 9 RTF packages. There are certainly better engines for the same or less money, but you could also do worse than Evolution. I'd consider the Magnum XLS .46A to be the equal of the Evolution .46NT, but it sells for $20 less.

Whatever you decide on, good luck and good shopping!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:07 PM
plugin

Get a Four Star. I know you're into warbirds but if you really master a Four Star, then you'll be more than ready to take on serious sport flying on a P-51. I've seen one two many guys at my field that jump to a P-51 one month after soloing their trainer. Each flight for them is a living nightmare because they are afraid of the plane and from the moment they fill up the tank the only thing you can tell they are thinking of is landing.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wish I had 200 beans, I was looking at servos tonight, that would get me started at least.
If it's A second plane your asking about I would second the 4*, nice second plane and won't bite you in the back side.
Asking how to spend your money really isn't something anyone here can tell you. Take A look at the things you need and make your own choice. Or you could just start buying some really good servos!!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I would get a plane, receiver, and servos (actually, I just DID get a plane, receiver, and servos!). Engine is easy to take out of trainer, so put in new plane. Taking out radio gear means that it all has to be re-trimmed if/when you reinstall it, so leave it in trainer. You've got a good radio, so now you get to set it up for 2 planes; get flight pack and put in new plane. When you find out if you like the engine you have in the new low wing or not, you get a second engine, either bigger for the new plane or a cheapie to throw in the trainer. Then you will have 2 planes to fly at any time. Of course then there's building supplies, too, but you can get them as you need them from LHS.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:45 AM
f_shawn68

If you want a war bird, go for the mustang PTS. Its a great flying plane. You already have your trainer. Fly it until your comfortable, then try something different. The PTS was really easy to learn on for me. I have never flown a high wing. The PTS was my first plane. I have 14 successful flights on it now and love it. I still run the wing droops but will be removing them soon. I have 2 other planes awaiting once I feel comfortable making the next step.
Do you ever go out to the club field, or just the JMP?? The club field is a really nice setup, and the guys are very helpful. Im sure you could even get someone to help you with training on the weekend so you dont have to rely on the weather spoiled wednesdays we have been dealing with.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a kit.

You want the $200 to be worth $400? Get a kit.

Build it and you've just turned that $400 into $800 with what you've learned and produced.

And most kits aren't even $200.