Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

whats up with all these sticks?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

whats up with all these sticks?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 AM
whiteout750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats up with all these sticks?

Just getting back into flying after a long layoff and been flying some parkfliers to get my thumbs back in the game. I have recieved some great input here and am making forward progress. I want to step up to a larger nitro model. On the advice of folks on this forum and my past experiences I am looking at getting some kind of stick. If my research is correct hanger 9 makes a pretty good ARF stick. My confusion is with all the different models. I mean whats really the difference between hangar 9 super stick .40 value series, an ultra stick .40, and an ultra stick .40 ultra series. They look similar I assume they will fly similar as well. The other plane I was considering is the Great Planes Big stik .40 which also appears similar. Is any one of these better than the other as far as kit quality or flight characteristics? Any help or advice would br great!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
enkaarob

Default RE: whats up with all these sticks?

sure
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 AM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

I've also seen just about every manufacturer come out with a stick version
Old 05-28-2008, 11:49 AM
2slow2matter

The ultra stick series are great fliers. The great planes sticks are also great fliers. The great planes has dihedral in the wing, whereas the ultrastick (H9) doesn't. Also, the ultra stick series is lighter than the other H9 stick, and it has quad flap setup (four moveable wing surfaces) which can be fun, but is costly in terms of servos, and you will need a bigger battery if you mix them all and use them all during flight.
There are similarities, as most sticks fly about the same. Very predictable, nose-over stalls, slow stall speed. They pretty much all make great second planes. Some of the less notable brands are also good planes, they just tend to have lesser quality wood and hardware with them.
I hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:43 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with the GP Big Stick 40 - If you're getting back into the hobby after a layoff of more than 5 or 6 years, it'll be more like the type of plane you're used to.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:13 PM
whiteout750

Thanks for the input. I do like the GP big stik and a little dihedral seems like a good idea since its been about 15 years since i last flew a glow powered model. I had a stick then and loved it. Can't remember the brand but it looked more like the big stik with the rounded tail. Not really interested in the quad flap setup for now as I feel 4 channels will be plenty for me! Just want a sport plane that can grow with my skill level and do basic stunts. Really I am more interested in the planes milder side right nowslow landing speed and somewhat forgiving in flight. However, Price is an issue and I was intrigued by the $99 price tag of the hanger9 super stick? does this plane also have a flat wing like the ultra stick?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
2slow2matter

I believe that the superstick also has very little to no dihedral.
Remember, just because the GP stick has dihedral does not make it a self-correcting plane like a trainer would be. It is still a very capable aerobat. Sure, it will self-correct SOME, but for the most part, it is a great point and fly machine. The benefit, of course, is that is has light wing loading, and will slow down substantially for landings.

Any of the sticks will be good. One advantage the GP has is visibility. It's color scheme is easy to see in the air...
Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 PM
chashint

Here is another one to consider http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=50
Old 05-28-2008, 06:43 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with the GP Big Stik. They are a really good airplane. The H-9 Ultra Stik is also great but probably not as forgiving. Personally, I'd stay away from the H-9 Super Stik. I'm sure it flys well but it doesn't use their normal Ultracote covering. It has some sort of pre-printed PVC stuff instead. This would likely make repairs more difficult, well nice looking ones anyhow.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

These are all good suggestions. The Ultra Stik series by Hangar 9 is widely regarded as the very best of the currently available "stik" models, along with the Goldberg Wild Stik ARFs. The Super Stick series by Hangar 9 is very good for sport flying, but the Ultra Stiks are more aerobatic and come with higher quality covering.

The Great Planes Big Stik family of ARFs are very well made and probably a better "second" airplane than the Ultra Stik because of the slight dihedral. The World Models Super Stunts ARFs that chashint provided a link to are also very high quality and reasonably priced.

Not yet mentioned are the Model Tech Lucky Stik/Joss Stik ARFs and the Sportsman Aviation Sport Stik .40 ARF, all of which are available from http://www.hobbypeople.net. You might also peek at the VMar Xtreme Stik Shoulder-Wing ARF and Xtreme Stik Low-Wing ARF as well as the VMar V-Stik ARFs available at http://www.richmondrc.com. VMar ARFs aren't always highly regarded in terms of quality, but the various stik offerings seem to be pretty solid offerings.

Great Planes also offers the Easy Sport .40 in both ARF and kit form. The Easy Sport is essential just a .40-size stik model with a canopy on top of the wing. It's a terrific flying plane that handles just like the Big Stik .40 ARF, and it's a little nicer looking.

I would personally be happy to own and fly any of the airframes I've mentioned in this post. Good luck and good shopping!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've owned a GP Big Stik and a Goldberg Hot Stik and they do not fly at all alike. The Big Stik was fun and forgiving and the Hot Stik is fun and unforgiving. Everything happens 3X faster with the Hot Stik vs. the Big Stik. But when you feel like cutting up the sky it's a gas. The Hot Stik is very much 3-D capable (with a TT Pro-46) while the Big Stik is not (at least not with an OS-70II Surpass - which was a perfect match-up).

Back in 2003/2004 two Ultra Stiks in our club failed in mid-air on two different occasions. The fuselage folded up just ahead of the tail section. I have to believe this has been corrected as I see a lot in flight and have not seen or heard of further mishaps.

Phil Kraft came up with the essential R/C model when he designed Das Ugly Stik. Rugged box fuselage, symmetrical wing, big open firewall for trialing or testing engines (for those of us who remember it took a month to get an engine settled in, not an afternoon). And the terms "sport flier" and "fun fly" came AFTER the many stik designs. He made a plane that gave up nothing trying to hold to a scale design that might not translate well into a small scale or model's wing loading.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77786.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	959297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69453.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	959298  
Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Charlie is quite right, I mentioned the Goldberg Wild Stiks only in passing as being very high quality. The Wild Stik and Hot Stik ARFs have 3D style control surfaces and aren't suitable for someone just now returning to the hobby. These ARFs are very well made and, I believe they are also covered in Ultracote.

I didn't mean to suggest that the Wild Stik or Hot Stik ARFs would be a good choice for a warm up plane, only that they were very well made.

I believe the rest of the ARFs that I listed would be suitable for returning to the hobby.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:44 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

"STICK" planes are clasics for good reasons. The definition is 90 degree firewall, flat fuse for easy building, fully semetric wing, 0 degrees incidence to the wing /tail, and they fly great. go pretty much were yo upoint 'em.

take a stick fuse turned upside down and put the verticle stab back on pointed up and you get a "Sweet n Low Stick". oh yeah u have to swap the LG around too.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:55 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

"Whats up with all these sticks?" funny, I say that every time I open a new kit!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 AM
kid chuckles

That is what i say when having a bad day at the field. What's up with all the little sticks [sm=71_71.gif]
Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 AM
enkaarob

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Not yet mentioned are the Model Tech Lucky Stik/Joss Stik ARFs and the Sportsman Aviation Sport Stik .40 ARF, all of which are available from http://www.hobbypeople.net. You might also peek at the VMar Xtreme Stik Shoulder-Wing ARF and Xtreme Stik Low-Wing ARF as well as the VMar V-Stik ARFs available at http://www.richmondrc.com. VMar ARFs aren't always highly regarded in terms of quality, but the various stik offerings seem to be pretty solid offerings.
hey man. what do you know about the sportsman aviation sport stik? me and whiteout750 looked at it online and really liked it. i think i may get this as my third plane but i dont much about the plane. it will also be the first glow plane for me. thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 04:04 PM
2slow2matter

I owned one once, actually. I really liked the idea of a low wing stick model. I first flew it with a saito .56, and it didn't perform like I wanted it to. I then put a .46 two stroke on it, and it was a hot little flyer! The problem I had with it, was the same problem I've had with all of the cheap asian knock-offs. Poor quality hardward, wood, and covering. It also was not nearly as stable as the other 40 sized, high wing sticks. Partly due to the low wing setup, but mainly due to the fact that it has a shorter wing than most .40 sized sticks (or it seemed like it did)...

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you do get it, replace the landing gear before you even fly it. You will be forever bending that soft crap back into place. One landingno matter how great it is, bends the gear flat. It can barely hold the weight of the plane sitting still.