Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Can I use car fuel in my plane?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Can I use car fuel in my plane?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use car fuel in my plane?

I was wondering whether I could use car fuel or not. I have been taxiing my little os 25 around with 20% Blue Thunder car fuel, but I don't know if this is good for it. Gonna be getting an Alpha 40 dsm as soon as its available, so I need to know what fuels are recommended. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Can I use car fuel in my plane?

Brett,
From what I know about car fuel I think that it's got a lower lubrication content than the fuel we use and you might not want to put it in your plane engine because of this.

ken
Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

As long as the nitro and oil content for the car fuel is within the recommend specifications for the airplane engine, it's all the same stuff. O.S. normally recommends 5% to 15% nitro and 20% all castor oil lubrication for the LA series of engines. If running synthetic lubrication, they recommending resetting the needle valve to a slightly more rich setting. Also they recommend not using less than 18% total oil content regardless of lubrication.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:24 PM
ErikElvis

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the blue thunder 10% car fuel. The OS46 doesnt like it to much. Its likes to build up in the carb. But others have used it no prob.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Brett,
If I'm not mistaken the fuels blended for cars usually have a lower oil content that what is recommend for plane engines. I wouldn't use the car fuel in your plane. Buy a new jug of fuel with at least 18% lube in it for your plane.

Ken
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Missileman

The car fuel I have only has 12% oil content. Way to low for airplane engines.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 PM
ag4ever

If all you have is car fuel, and you can't get proper fuel, you can get some castor oil down at the pharmacy and add it to the car fuel. You will just be mixing your own fuel then.

I did it all the time in the 80's with my K&B outboard on my boat.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:55 PM
fastinated

Why would you want to use it anyways. My 20% BT is $20+ Tower 10% just over $10. Save your $$ it's going out the exhaust anyways.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

If you use car fuel in your plane, you will only be able to taxi around, because they put special light-weight additives in the airplane fuel to allow the plane to get off the ground!

Sheeesh! I'm kidding, alright?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:52 AM
kid chuckles

Can you get those light weight additives at the local hardware or you special order them? I need some lite weight additives to drink. My additives only additives weight it seems[] or my britches think so. Hard to believe a mans belly can push the back of his britches down lol.
No car fuels are not good as my man KEN the RC man says.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 AM
flyX

It's not cost effective to use nitro car fuel for aircraft fuel
Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 PM
ErikElvis

ORIGINAL: flyX

It is when Blue thunder 10% race formula is $30 for 4 gallons. And thats of course if your plane is ok with it. I battled through 2 gallons and have 2 left and its just not working.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: ErikElvis

ORIGINAL: flyX

It is when Blue thunder 10% race formula is $30 for 4 gallons. And thats of course if your plane is ok with it. I battled through 2 gallons and have 2 left and its just not working.
Where? every place I looked at online it is $15 per quart for the 20% the OP mentioned. IF you paid $30 for 4 gallons it still is not cost effective once you factor in the cost of engine repair or replacement because of low oil content.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

A bit off subject, but then maybe not. But if you need fuel I would get it right now, and it wouldn't hurt to stock up. There's a shortage of nitro-methane on the market right now and the fuel makers are having a hard time getting. I've heard that Sig is backordered on all of their fuels, and other manufacturers are running short. There are only a few (I heard 3) plants in the world that make nitro-methane. One of those is in China. Whether it's because of the earthquake, or the upcoming Olympics, they aren't producing. Word is that it's going to be 30-60 days before production resumes. So if you need fuel for the sumer it wouldn't hurt to stock up.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7566831[/link]

Ken
Old 06-01-2008, 05:17 PM
carrellh

Horizon does not publish the exact makeup of Blue Thunder fuels.

According to this page http://www.dynamiterc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1318 it contains from 8 to 12 percent oil.

OS, and most other engine companies, recommend at least 18 percent oil for airplane engines.

You should add oil to the fuel or get fuel with the right amount of oil.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:22 PM
flyX

oh...I was paying $32 per gallon for nitro car fuel.

Think about it for a minute.

Nitro car engine operate at almost twice the rpm of aircraft engine.
A decent .18 car engine can preduce 1hp.
The only thing that helps nitro car engine to cool is the big head heat sink.
You would thing nitro car engine will require more cooling aid.

if you add up the bio hazrd or hazardouse material shiping charge. it'll be a lot cheaper
to just support your LHS
Old 06-01-2008, 08:24 PM
ErikElvis

Yeah I coud not find the oil content on BT race formula anywhere. The race formula is suppose to have more oil content than normal car fuel. A lot of people recommended it at my field for the price. All I know is that the side of the plane was soaked with blue oil when I used the BT race formula.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

Yeah I coud not find the oil content on BT race formula anywhere. The race formula is suppose to have more oil content than normal car fuel. A lot of people recommended it at my field for the price. All I know is that the side of the plane was soaked with blue oil when I used the BT race formula.
Race fuel should have a lower oil content than normal car fuel.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:42 PM
ErikElvis

ORIGINAL: rckt_mtrspts

I may be wrong but on the BT site I thought it said the race formula has a higher oil content to allow for leaner tuning. Ill look again.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

I may be wrong but on the BT site I thought it said the race formula has a higher oil content to allow for leaner tuning. Ill look again.
[/quote]

Higher oil content does allow for leaner tuning. But try thinking about like this ~ fuel ratings typically denote Nitro Conent, and if you have more nitro in the fuel mix you have to have less oil. That is not to say I don't doubt some companies sell their own unique formulas.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: brett65

I was wondering whether I could use car fuel or not.

No
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But try thinking about like this ~ fuel ratings typically denote Nitro Conent, and if you have more nitro in the fuel mix you have to have less oil.
Nope, the nitro replaces some of the methanol in the fuel. Oil content can be as high or low as you like. I believe BT has 12% oil in both race and sport but the race has a higher proportion of castor. Neither has enough for plane use.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 AM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: downunder

But try thinking about like this ~ fuel ratings typically denote Nitro Conent, and if you have more nitro in the fuel mix you have to have less oil.
Nope, the nitro replaces some of the methanol in the fuel. Oil content can be as high or low as you like. I believe BT has 12% oil in both race and sport but the race has a higher proportion of castor. Neither has enough for plane use.
It would have been decent of you to have not abbreviated my post so people would have noted, "That is not to say I don't doubt some companies sell their own unique formulas."
Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Modern glow engines will run nicely with low-oil fuels, but the low-oil fuels don't allow very much margin at all if your engine goes the slightest-bit lean. Airplane engines get exposed to a lot of leaning because of aerobatics and large fuel tanks with changing fuel head pressures. The oil content in airplane fuels helps insure that your engine always has adequate lubrication. R/C car engines are usually run with small tanks, when compared to airplanes, so they have little change in fuel head pressure. Cars also don't get subject to aerobatics. However, fuel does get sloshed around, and vibration can still be a factor.

One thing to note about "racing fuels" as used in R/C cars.... The low-oil formula allows the engine to clear very quickly when the throttle is punched. But low-oil fuels also give you much-shortened engine life. If you're a racer, you would consider that shortened engine life as part of the price you pay to be competitive in racing. Otherwise, if you just play around with your cars, use regular "airplane"-type fuels.

For many of their R/C car engines, O.S. has recommended that you use fuel with no less than 18% oil content.