Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Servo install question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Servo install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Spoofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo install question

I have an ARF. When installing the servos, they are very snug in the servo tray. Should I be shaving/sanding the hole to make it a little larger so the servo is not snug in there? I read somewhere that only the rubber grommets should be making contact with the wood, otherwise vibration could cause damage to the servos....? Also does the same apply to the wing servos because they were very snug as well, and I already installed them? Last question- when tightening the servo screws, should the rubber grommet be 1) not visibly smashed at all. 2) just slightly visibly smashed. 3) smashed a lot.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Osirisf16

Default RE: Servo install question

Yes, shave it a bit but only a bit. Make sure that is nice put into the tray. When tightening the screws on these things, there is no need of "smashed" them a lot. Just screw untill is nice and snug. If you overdo it on screwing the screw, the plastic "thing" will be drilled by the screw, and the result is like there isn't any plastic "thing" (i know what the plastic is and looks like, just call it that way )
Old 05-30-2008, 07:09 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, shave a little wood so that only the grommet comes in contact.

And the rubber should be just slightly smashed
Old 05-30-2008, 07:24 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

After you install the servos, take them back out, and put a drop of thin CA in each of the screw holes. This will harden the surrounding wood and make the screws tighter in the holes, reducing the chance that a screw will back out.

Brad
Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Spoofer

Thanks,
I appreciate all the responses!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:58 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another suggestion here.. but concur with all of the above. When installing the servos, try your best to keep them square with the control rod that goes to, ailerons for instance.. in the case of dual aileron servo setup. A servo that is slightly twisted, or off square, can induce some unwanted differential, even if slight, it can make a slight difference in how the plane performs.

So, when sanding to enlarge the holes, try to keep the sides square and straight. This will really help when you align and tighten the serovs in place.

CGr.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 AM
rctrax

If the eyelets are install correctly[from the bottom up] the screw will tighten down on it and leave the gromet free to absorb any vibration. Thus they can be tightened quite firmly.