Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Bittesweet end to a good plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Bittesweet end to a good plane

Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bittesweet end to a good plane

There was a heli flying and doing some serious tricks while I was flying. I guess I got cocky and started showing off (there was some amazingly beautiful girl at the field[:@]. Barrel roll (including up elevator) at too low elevation. She (the plane) came down a lot faster than she went up. Missed by about 5 feet elevation. Plane hit the ground, wings stopped, fuse jetted out another 30 feet. Totally destroyed.

The good news is that everyone (including the beautiful girl, who buys planes for her boyfriend[X(]) at the field told me I'm way past a trainer, and that I was flying beautifully, and performing maneuvers that neither a trainer nor a beginner are capable of. Complete inverted circuits, hammer heads, the figure 8's with the rolls in them...they said without the dihedral I would have been fine, but I know it was my fault.)

I really got to love that plane. I learned so much from it, and miss it dearly. I'm sad.

But I guess when one door closes another opens??? Should I get the Phoenix Extra 300S this week, or wait 2+ weeks and (hopefully find in stock and) get a H9 Pulse?

I guess the right thing to do is to wait and get wither the Pulse, if available, or the Pacific Aeromodels Knockabout. These are the planes I really want.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bittesweet end to a good plane

If this is a second airplane I would go with the Pulse over the Extra. The Extra is a little too difficult for a second model.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Shortymet55

I hope, if nothing else, the pre-crash rolls and all were cool. If im gonna lose a plane, I hope i doing some sweet maneuver (I just need to wait a few months, so i can build a tiger 60.) At least you made it past the point of needing another trainer, so you have the most ultimate excuse for another plane.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Jetdesign

It was definitely cool...[8D]
Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

This thread FAILS, however...

No pictures of the beautiful girl?!?!?

And you say you're ready to move on. Sheesh.

(In all seriousness, sorry about your loss)
Old 05-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Jetdesign

(In all seriousness, sorry about your loss)
Thank you.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 PM
TheBrickLayer

Ever notice how all the good stories start with "I got really drunk one night" or "there was this beutiful girl".
Old 05-31-2008, 11:30 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield
(there was some amazingly beautiful girl at the field[:@].
Why doesn't this ever happen at my field. All we have are coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, lizards, an occasional dog and old dudes.

Should I get the Phoenix Extra 300S this week, or wait 2+ weeks and (hopefully find in stock and) get a H9 Pulse?
Get the Extra? It's your money and your choice but I think that would be a very bad idea. Take your time, you'll get to Extras and Cap-232's eventually. Get the Pulse? Maybe but I think the best thing to do is another trainer ARF. A World Models sky Raider Mach-1 is n excellent match for your .46-AX that flys beautifully and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The Tower Trainer is another good choice along with the Alpha 40, etc.

I know it is tempting but try to resist the urge to do the aerobatics for a while. It is a trap that too many people fall into. Just about anyone can do loops, rolls, snap-rolls and stall turns. They may not do them very precisely but they can do them. What do many people have a really hard time with though? Straight, level, deliberate flight and landings. I would practice making the plane do your bidding and going exactly on the path you want. Then I would practice landing so much that you could do it with your eyes closed with both hands behind your back in any and all conditions. Master those things and you will be better than over half the RC pilots out there. Then the aerobatic stuff is a piece of cake.

I'm saying these things from experience. I found myself in a position at one time of being able to knife edge or hover an airplane like a pro but I couldn't make a smooth landing to save my life or fly perfectly parallel with the runway if I tried. I saw the light one day and decided to take a few steps back. My flying improved dramatically and my planes stopped getting so many scratches and dings. Am I where I want to be yet? Not really. I'd say I am a fairly good sport pilot but I want to be even better.

I'm not alone in my early mistake. I see people go down that road all the time.

Now, as for your crashed plane. How are the servos? Did any break or strip? I would also send the receiver in to get checked out; it's good insurance for the next plane it goes in.

If it makes you feel any better, I came VERY close to turning my Super Sportster 60 into toothpicks today. I was doing a knife edge pretty far out and the sun was in a position that caused a lot of glare. Normally, I have to hold left aileron in knife edge but I apparently held too much and couldn't quite determine the orientation of the plane. It had rolled slightly toward inverted and I somehow ended up heading straight for the ground at full throttle (full throttle is very fast with this plane). Luckily my mind and fingers were still working somewhat and I recovered it just in time. Stuff happens I guess.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Jetdesign

How do you know if servos are stripped?

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I don't want to sound cocky or anything, but I can fly straight and level, even upside down I can make good banking turns without losing altitude. Takeoffs have gotten easy, and landings are pretty good now (no prop strikes in lots of landings in a row). I'm ready for #2. Everyone at the field looked at me like I was nuts when I said I could get another trainer, and I felt nuts as I said it.

Got the Dolphin today (4 Star copy).
Old 06-01-2008, 05:08 AM
panzerd18

Yep get the low wing trainer as you have, after you can do the same stuff you have done on the trainer get the scale aerobatic model.

When I went from the trainer to my first low wing tail dragger (World Models Sky Raider Mach 2) I saw a huge difference in how the aircraft flew. A lot more challenging but after a while you want something more after trying everything you can think of. I have now bought a World Models 65" Extra with a 91 Magnum 4-stroke which is nearly ready to fly. I'm sure its another step up but not such a big step up from an above wing trainer.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Steve Steinbring

When I was flying full scale there is a saying......... "There are bold pilots and old pilots, but no old bold pilots"

Yup, the beautiful girl goes home with her boyfriend and buys him a new airplane. You go home with a pile of splinters needing a new airplane, but you impressed her. []

Its great that you are coming along quickly with your flying, but that flying also needs to be tempered with some "judgment".

My son crash my P-51 one day after getting too bold. He was really wringing the airplane out, one maneuver after another. I walked up to him telling him not to compound the maneuvers so much. To get re-stabilized before attempting next aerobatic feat(IMO he was getting in over his head). He smiled telling me that he had everything under control not to worry! It wasn't maybe 90 seconds later he had gotten the airplane into an inverted flat spin (if I remember right) didn't know how to recover, or at least the airplane didn't come out. The plane was a total loss....... engine, radio gear, everything. [] He wasn't smiling so much as he stood there with the TX in hand looking across the field at the carnage. I didn't say anything, but he could tell that I was less than pleased. Way too cocky! Today we laugh about it, lesson learned.

Sometimes its he who walks away gets to fly that airplane again another day!

Sorry to rag on you like this, but its a lesson some of us have learned the hard way. There will always be crashes in this sport/hobby for some reason. Its always better to keep the percentages in your favor if possible.

Time to climb back on the horse

Old 06-01-2008, 08:10 AM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Steve Steinbrin
Its great that you are coming along quickly with your flying, but that flying also needs to be tempered with some "judgment".
Just don't let bad judgement end in a temper, this is a hobby Enjoy it.
You have learned well, Never crash alone it's less fun to tell people about your spectacular crash than to have
people talking about it for weeks to come. And even the beuatiful woman will remember you for a while.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Nathan King

I too would like to know more about this phenomenon called "beautiful girls at the flying field." All I ever get is old men sitting on benches eating hot dogs with their shirts unbuttoned. [:'(]
Old 06-01-2008, 11:13 AM
fastinated

Well I wish I would have listened to what Chuck said.. I went from the tower trainer to a Giles 202. Well I was able to fly it a couple of times and dead sticking a plane like that's a *****! It split the fuse in half (poor design). But I went and got another Tower trainer.. I thought I was the shiznit with the trainer. Folded the wings in half on one, hit a tree coming around for a high speed pass with another (had 3 total). Wing is still in the tree from last summer.. Hit it hard I tells ya! But I maidened a F-22 raptor the other day I got for x-mas.. Wedged an evo .61 in the nose and it flys great! A little hot even with the droops on the wing (only had 3 flights so far). So skip the extra I tried that route, well a little more pattern in the giles. But I could fly it, but it wasn't as enjoyable.. My reflexes weren't quick enough. I do have a few heli's so I have experience there. But my biggest thing now is park fliers and foamies. I can buzz them at the house.. Love not cleaning, loading, gas money, loading, cleaning some more.. I won't give up the field, but I can buy more stuff with the gas I save. My old instructor let me fly his 150cc Extra (just flight no takeoff/landing) and it wasn't bad at all.. I actually thought it was easy. Granted it may be that a plane that big isn't as affected with the wind. I love a calm day! With that one it was all with the rates.. I had to tell him to switch to low rates b/c it was a handful. Also with the extra's (someone else help me out) I don't believe they handle high speeds, they'll flutter. So figure out what you want.

low , mid, or high wing
3D/ IMAC capable yes/no
good stall characteristics- yes/no
size?-
price-

Some very important questions.

I do agree with learning perfect flight.. landing, speed passes, making the plane do your bidding. My problem is orientation with the low/midwing. Since there is no self correcting it takes time to "fly" the orientation.. You can't see which way is up, but you can fly it to tell. Dunno if that makes sense.. But that's why I jumped way to far with the giles.. I had no margin for error.. Plus I had way too much throw and dumb thumbs..

And Chuck nice to have you hear. Best advice I've seen in a while.. I could have used it!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: fastinated
My old instructor let me fly his 150cc Extra (just flight no takeoff/landing) and it wasn't bad at all.. I actually thought it was easy. Granted it may be that a plane that big isn't as affected with the wind.
Don't let that "introductory" flight fool you into thinking gas is easy, it is not. I am telling you from first hand experience that large scale gas has a HUGE learning curve. On takeoffs, approaches, and landing you really can't get away with any sloppy technique. The aircraft have much more inertia and don't dampen nearly as quickly. They don't just whip around very easily either. Quique and the rest of the greats make it look like they do, but there's a ton of practice (which is never shown, often years for a routine) that goes into making a flight look like that. It's not like you just go to the field and whip out a convincing sequence. Of course setup and maintenance on an aircraft of that size is many times more difficult as well. All those little screws, bolts, control horns, clevises, servos, etc you take for granted with a glow model need constant attention when moving up around 1/3 scale. Most of the time wing loading is much higher and power to weight ratios are much lower when moving up in size (although this is not always the case). Most modelers at the field don't realize just how much more difficult it is. I didn't know either until I did it. Of course, when you fly your own airplane that you invested well over a thousand dollars in you get a bit nervous as well.

I don't mean to scare you out of moving up down the road, but just realize that you will be humbled.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nathan King
All I ever get is old men sitting on benches eating hot dogs with their shirts unbuttoned. [:'(]
Not exactly tantalizing is it...
Old 06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

If you really think you are past the trainer plane. Get a low wing trainer . I went with the 4Star as my 2nd plane and it's a great second plane.

I Think too big of jumps is really asking for it. A gradual step up each time will improve your flying better. Atleast that's the case with me.

Even the 4* was a little tricky even though I had flown the trainer for couple of months. I can't imagine how it would be with an extra if I had gone up to that from a high wing trainer.

4* is a great plane!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Jetdesign

Well the guy at the field and his plane buying girlfriend gave me an Avistar to use. I guess my moves paid off, at least a little

N19htmare, thanks for your input, makes me feel better about getting the Dolphin.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Bob Mitchell

>> When I was flying full scale there is a saying......... "There are bold pilots and old pilots, but no old bold pilots" <<

When I got my license I probably heard that a hundred times. Also "You can't fly with the eagles in the morning if you partyed with the turkeys the night before".

When doing my first night flying with an insturctor this was my all time favorite:

"If you lose your engine at night, fly towards the largest solid dark area you can see, and hope it's an open field, not a stand of trees. At about 300' AGL, turn on your landing light. If you don't like what you see, turn it back off again." [X(]

It still puts a smile on my face.

Bob

Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: mitchell170

>> When I was flying full scale there is a saying......... "There are bold pilots and old pilots, but no old bold pilots" <<

When I got my license I probably heard that a hundred times. Also "You can't fly with the eagles in the morning if you partyed with the turkeys the night before".

When doing my first night flying with an insturctor this was my all time favorite:

"If you lose your engine at night, fly towards the largest solid dark area you can see, and hope it's an open field, not a stand of trees. At about 300' AGL, turn on your landing light. If you don't like what you see, turn it back off again." [X(]

It still puts a smile on my face.

Bob

And most pilots that fly into that "solid dark area" end up going straight into the ground because they can't tell exactly how high above the ground they are.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Bob Mitchell

>> And most pilots that fly into that "solid dark area" end up going straight into the ground because they can't tell exactly how high above the ground they are. <<

Night flying in a single is not for those of us who are very cautious.

I've got about 400 hours total, and probably less than 20 of that is nighttime hours. It's been quite a while since I was last current, but even in my younger days I avoided night flying in anything other than excellent visibility. Even then when the nose comes up at rotation, you've REALLY got to concentrate on what you are doing.

I lived in Baton Rouge when I got my ticket, and flew in and out of New Orleans Lakefront on several occasions. I wouldn't even think of flying from there at night, even in the best of conditions. Way to easy to lose horizontal reference.

That's what killed JFK Jr. several years ago. Night flying on a hazy night over water is a prescription for disaster.

The thing I liked about night flying was that I think it's harder to get lost (at least in the narrow set of conditions under which I would fly). I remember one night leg from Natchez Mississippi back to Baton Rouge. At 5K you could see the glow of lights from BR straight ahead, New Orleans to the left and further in the distance, Hammond to the east and Lafyette to the west.

One of the things I remember most is during landing to keep your point of reference at the fard end of the runway to make the changing angle of the runway lights very obvious as you approached touchdown. I believe that is what you are referencing in your comment above.

Bob

Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Jetdesign

You know, visibility had a lot to do with my crash, too. The light was pretty flat, and I mistook distance for altitude. The ground really came at my plane quick!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Some of my most impressive moments were done completely by accident and fortunate enough to look like the recovery was part of it.