Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Now I went and did it!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Now I went and did it!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Steve Steinbring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I went and did it!

Today I accepted an instructor position in our club again, (under a bit of pressure) a position I'd held far many years some years ago! YIKES!!!

What caught me was a new member was having a hard time getting flying time with an instructor with his schedule. A real nice guy so I weaken volunteering to help him. At the same time getting caught by the chief pilot seeing what I was up to again.

Next thing I knew I was recruited!

In a way its hard to refuse help remembering all the pilots that helped me. Being able to pass it on is certainly a good feeling. A feeling that had left me for awhile for maybe selfish reasons or mostly being burned out.

In the past it was hard to get personal flying time when there were many students at the field who needed help. Not enough instructors! Hopefully I can find some kind of proper balance this time in the barrel![8D]

Old 06-01-2008, 05:43 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Now I went and did it!

Our club has 'student night' every Thursday during daylight saving time. All other scheduling has to be agreed upon between student and instructor. The instructors are not obligated to train on other days but most will if the student asks in advance.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find instructing the most rewarding aspect of the hobby. They can't get me to stop instructing.

Enjoy! Think of it this way - you were pressured to do it because they think you're the right guy and are respected.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:26 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Post deleted as not to hijack thread.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Campgems

Steve, I don't fly at your field, but thank you for being an instructor. I know what you guys give up and I want you to know how much it is appriciated. I "wore out five instructors before I finally soloed. This is a hobby that is best learned young. I try to give back to the club the best I can, as I really appriciate the help I had. And still get for that matter.

Don

Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Steve Steinbring

Today I accepted an instructor position in our club again, (under a bit of pressure) a position I'd held far many years some years ago! YIKES!!!

What caught me was a new member was having a hard time getting flying time with an instructor with his schedule. A real nice guy so I weaken volunteering to help him. At the same time getting caught by the chief pilot seeing what I was up to again.

Next thing I knew I was recruited!

In a way its hard to refuse help remembering all the pilots that helped me. Being able to pass it on is certainly a good feeling. A feeling that had left me for awhile for maybe selfish reasons or mostly being burned out.

In the past it was hard to get personal flying time when there were many students at the field who needed help. Not enough instructors! Hopefully I can find some kind of proper balance this time in the barrel![8D]

Kudos with you. I won't do it. I have seen to many times over the years of instructors being taken advantage of. Also being asked to pay for planes when something went wrong and the rest of it. I'll help as much as need with engine tuning, adjusting control surfaces and advice to save time from the instructor having to do it soall he has to do is get the guy and the plane and fly but iwill not fly another persons plane. That is a rule I don't break. I have even been asked out of respect. "Hey, you gotta try this but I won't do it."
Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Live Wire

I use my own equipement to teach some one to fly. If they don't want to do it my way they can find some one else. I to do not want a duel identity at the field and on the InterNet Great old guy and the old @#$% on RCU Some people get bent out of shape if their plane gets dumped [:@] for causes unkown or unpreventable by any one .
Even Prows do it
Old 06-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Steve Steinbring

Thanks for the kind words I appreciate the comments.

I like Livewire's policy of using his own equipment! It is a bit scary flying something that someone else has assembled who doesn't know much of anything about modeling.

I should have my old trainer up flying shortly needs some rehab, too much hanger rash from storage. Its a 60 size bird, easy to see and far more stable than most of the 40 size trainers I now see. The old bird has a semi-symetrical wing that I scratch built years ago with maple dowel spars and leading edge with just a couple inches of dihedral. Pretty bulletproof for the most part if not yard darted. As soon as its up and flying I think I'll mostly use it for the primary stages. Still have a couple of Futaba Conquest radios and a buddy cord so I'm pretty well set.

Any other ideas will be appreciated to get all the cobwebs out of the belfry.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Live Wire

Steve
When you use your own plane and radio's you know what they can do and how they fly. You are more relaxed and the student can do things you would not let them do on their own plane and they advance much faster in learning.
And you know how your's is put together and can rebuild it the way you want[:@]