Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I want my plane to pull a banner/sign

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I want my plane to pull a banner/sign

Old 06-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Bretd123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want my plane to pull a banner/sign

I want to pull a banner from my giant super sportster because I just got a mutoh (a vinyl printer), and I need to know how to go about doing this, what type of material, how big does the material need to be? Do I Have to have one side weighted down? What do i do to get the banner to stay upright? If you have any pics, that would be nice. Thanks in advance
Old 06-02-2008, 04:20 PM
snurckle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I want my plane to pull a banner/sign

Typical signs are attached while the plane is in the air. (On an actual aircraft) Can't say that I have ever seen this on scale, but I'm sure it's been done. Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on this one.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We pull banners at our annual airshow. They are simply attached to the vertical stabilizer, but not too high up. Imagine a line going from your spinner through the back of the airplane. Attach as close to this imaginary line as possible. You do need quite a bit of extra power as the banner creates more drag than you'd think.

To takeoff we simply set the airplane on the runway with the line extended and takeoff as normal. The banner is dragged a few yards and then leaps off the ground. Landing is normal.

[link=http://www.omahawks.org/gallery/images/IMG_0143.JPG]Banner Tow[/link] - This banner can be towed by a large .40 size airframe.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an interesting article in the June issue of RC Model World magazine on glider tugs. One thing they point out is that they tow from the CG vs the tail like full scale ones do. The glider will take a posisiton above the tug (keeps the tow line out of the rudder for one thing). The said that the reason for this was that the model tug was easilly overpowered if you tried to pull from the tail. Another thing was you needed a quick release on the line at the tug end in case there was a problem. That is the same a the full size world. It lets them cut loose the glider if it is geting into trouble and also allows the Tug to drop the tow line then come in for a landing. They use a no stretch steel cable and I can imagine the hit on tug when the glider drops his end an the tug is now holding up a couple hundred pounds with his tail.

I took a ride in a Stearman a couple months back. The pilot also tows banners at times. I'll have to get out to the airport and ask him about his banner hookup.

Don