Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Interesting day.. >

Interesting day..

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Interesting day..

Old 06-09-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting day..

NOTE: not posting for comments on the STUPID STUPID safety violation, just for a good story.

Went to the airfield, as I pulled up one of the guys who helped me get to solo was maidening a .40 sized stick for a guy Ive seen at a couple meetings.

He got it trimmed out and asked the guy if he wanted to take her, forgetting that the guy had said he hadn't flown before (or in a VERY long time, never got the story right but read on and make your own judgment.)
So as he takes over, doing a few wild loops and rolls, I begin to unload. As I bring my first load to the bench, (I take three trips from tha car since Ive no real feild box, just a tackle box a shoulder bag and some fuel cans.) I turn around to head back and this guys plane has circled around PAST the fence and is screaming in over the parking lot headed right at me. I drop to a crouch and watch the guy swing her up, I thought he had it saved but he turned it right instead of left, sailing her into the trees that cover the picnic area. Almost made it thru, but a branch reached out and chopped the wing in half ending the flight, and the bird.
Well I ran out and picked up the pieces for him, the fuse cracked lengthwise, the wing I already described, and the nosecone and prop were buried. It was then that I learned the guy'd never flown, my friend was all over himself apologizing for offering him the bird and not taking it back when he got into trouble (no buddy box). I was thinking Why?? He didn't crash it. At the same time i was thinking Why did the guy agree to take over without a safety net??

Anyhow, I felt bad for the guy too, and since I had all my gear including buddy box I offered it up for a training flight. I first range checked and test flew the new Spektrum radio, (Works great ) Then bench tested and tweaked the trims on the buddy box radio (JR 6102). Then I gassed her up and when they were ready I let em have her. Buddy box system with Spektrum DX6i master, and JR 6102 Slave works flawlessly!

Hopefully they aren't reading this, because in spite of the fact I knew this guy could keep my bird safe my heart stopped every time the new guy got into trouble.. Is it always this hard to watch someone else fly your pride and joy?? I mean don't get me wrong I was glad to give the guy a flight, and will do it again any time someone is there who I know can play instructor, it was just a bit scary when the old girl would come down a bit while he struggled to get her righted. To his credit my friend only took over a couple times, and landed of course .

Down side of the day.. I was having issues with landing on my last flight of the day, kept screwing up the approach. Well I went around once too often, she was coming in a bit high and hot so I goosed her to full and pulled up, at about 30' up she ran the tank dry, I was now dead stick in a stall situation at the end of the runway...

I pitched the nose down and tried to level off, but she was drifting right off the runway into the trees and spectator area so I kicked hard left rudder figuring I was about to dump my bird, especially since Im new and just learning to use the rudder, (Yes every one of those thoughts went through my head, I have always wondered if when you get into a potential safety situation you really have time to think about dumping, or making less than optimal control throws. Now I know you do.). I managed to get her turned but didn't quite level off in time so my nose gear is now in need of repair.. Not nearly as bad as it could have been. All in all I think I did well in saving the plane and remaining safe.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interesting day..

I'll bypass all the safety stuff, as you said. Sounds like you weren't involved in that debacle ANYWAY. *heh*

However...this jumped out at me:

ORIGINAL: Adui
Is it always this hard to watch someone else fly your pride and joy??
Eh...yes and no.

If someone's flying one of mine, then one of two things is true:

A) It's not a plane I'm particularly concerned about.

or

B) The only reason they're allowed to fly it is because they DON'T scare me. *heh*
Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 AM

Adui,

Can't help but think there was a serious lapse in judgment involved by both parties involved in that crash. Not so sure I'd would have been so charitable with my airplane after witnessing what you did.

Glad you got your airplane down with just minimal damage, I'm confident you've learned something from yesterday. It might be good idea to get yourself a timer (your DXi 6 may have that feature my DX7 does) set it go off with a couple of minutes fuel remaining that way you have time to get your airplane back on the ground under power. If you have a problem you've got time for several go arounds.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Steve Steinbring
It might be good idea to get yourself a timer (your DXi 6 may have that feature my DX7 does) set it go off with a couple of minutes fuel remaining that way you have time to get your airplane back on the ground under power.
The DX6i does, indeed, have a timer function. It has both a countdown timer for situations as you describe, as well as a "count up-timer".

To program/activate it:

Access the "SETUP LIST" menu, and scroll down to "TIMER"
Select the timer function "UP" or "DOWN"
Set the Time you wish to count down from, or wish to start counting up from
Select the switch you want to assign the timer to (You can use either the trainer or throttle cut switch)

Then, all you have to do is hit the switch at the beginning of the flight, and the timer will start. Using the countdown timer, the radio will start beeping at you shortly before the timer expires, then beeping like mad once it does.

You can reset the timer by holding the programmed switch for 3 seconds.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: gboulton

I'll bypass all the safety stuff, as you said. Sounds like you weren't involved in that debacle ANYWAY. *heh*

However...this jumped out at me:

ORIGINAL: Adui
Is it always this hard to watch someone else fly your pride and joy??
Eh...yes and no.

If someone's flying one of mine, then one of two things is true:

A) It's not a plane I'm particularly concerned about.

or

B) The only reason they're allowed to fly it is because they DON'T scare me. *heh*
Yeah, I typically don't let other people fly my airplanes, and I typically don't fly other people's stuff (unless I'm instructing them or maidening upon request). It's not that I don't trust anybody with my equipment, but if something were to happen it would be extremely akward and stressful for both parties involved. I prefer to avoid that situation. I don't fly other people's stuff even though they obviously trust me because of the same reason. Something *could* happen and I'd be buying them an airplane. I've only flown another airplane twice, both owned by the same guy. Both times I declined on first offer, but he's a really good flying buddy. I never took unnecessary chances/flew respectfully (even though I felt like an inverted pass six feet over the deck) and kept flights very short.

Occasionally I'll buddy box a student on one of my complex aircraft just to demonstrate differences and explain why precise technique is needed even though he can get away with it in his trainer. Students don't really understand flying until they have almost a dozen aircraft under their belt.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 AM

As I say...in some cases, I'm simply not that concerned about the airplane...take my little Super Stick. Meh, it owes me nothing, they're cheap, easy, and quick to fix/rebuild, and...well..it's a stick. It takes abuse. *heh*

In a case like that, I'll let nearly anyone with even "decent" experience have the radio. Basically, I don't have a death WISH for it, bhut I'm not afraid to see it die.

With airplanes I'm concerned about however...my "pride and joy" as adui called them...I have a very simple qualification:

"If you couldn't save it, there was no CHANCE I would have."

If I know I can say that about the other party, then he/she's welcome to fly the plane. Otherwise, thanks but no thanks.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 AM

Yes I have the timer function as pointed out, unfortunately TWO mistakes on my part made it useless in my situation.

Mistake one, I had just finished tuning the engine, refueled fired it up, and tweaked a bit more to get it to idle reliably. Then, without refueling again took off.

Mistake two, knowing I had forgotten to refuel I STILL forgot to start the timer till well into the third minute in the air, so I was now flying on a less than full tank and three plus minutes extra air time, and STILL didn't bring it in till the timer went beep. (Actually I had 2 minutes left when I started making landing passes, just didn't get the thing lined up right, and didn't give myself wiggle room on the fuel...)

So that said, the mishap was all on me. I am just pretty thankful I got lucky, and pretty proud of the job I did getting her in without serious damage. Needless to say, the timer WILL be used religiously, and the fuel tank WILL be full before she gets airborne in all future flights.

As for the use of my bird by others, well Im probably gonna get bit some day but I just cant help but want to help others get into the hobby and Im just not good enough to do the buddy boxing myself.