Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

CHEAP ENGINES? THAT WORK WELL? HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

CHEAP ENGINES? THAT WORK WELL? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 01:00 PM
WingmanEPTX
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHEAP ENGINES? THAT WORK WELL? HELP!

HELLO AGAINNNNNN,
my evo 46 is running horrible after 2 full throttle nose dive crashes...oops! and countless medium to minor crashes! need a new engine asap as i have withdrawls from flying..or crashing..either way its a rush! =)~ anywho, tired of messin with the engine and wanna buy a new one, lookin for inexpensive being the broke guy i always am.....soo

does anyone know if the GMS brand .47 ABC BB w/ remote needle vavle is any good ? its only 69 bucks at tower hobbies. hmm =/ also does anyone know if the tower hobbies brand engines are any good?

ive gotten to the point where im not crashing anymore so my next engine should last awhile, but im not doin anything fancy either. so i need sumthin that just works well. nothing super fancy. so HELP! im getting the shakes and nausea withdrawls!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:11 PM
brewski

Default RE: CHEAP ENGINES? THAT WORK WELL? HELP!

I have a GMS and it is okay but for the money IMO you can not beat a Thunder Tiger Pro 46. They are strong, very reliable and easy to tune.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:34 PM
traski

A guy at the feild has one of those tower hobbies .46 ball bearing motor and said it was great as far as HP. He was new and had a little trouble getting it tunned up. He found help and it has been running well ever since.

This site has the buy and sell section you could probally find a good motor there for cheap $$$
Old 06-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats like asking who makes a tasty hotdog. TT Pro 46 is a very good engine. Equal to a 46ax to me
Old 06-21-2008, 03:31 PM
opjose

GMS, Tower Hobbies engines, and the Supertigres are all made in the same plant.

All have been VERY good for me.

They key is to leave the needles set as the engine comes and then run a half gallon of fuel through the engine with only small incremental tuning adjustments. By the end of this the engines run strong and reliably, plus are a great bargain for the price.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:41 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

good advice so far
also consider the OS La 45and TT 45 bushed engines, not as strong as the TT ball bearing but are super simple to run and near bulitproof. I have 3 LA15s ,2 LA65s and have messed with the 40 and 45 at the field I won't recomend the 40 as the 45 at the same wieght is stronger. I also have a TT 42 bushing and it is a horse for the money , runs great on pipe and has hauled a few SPA3Ds around well
Old 06-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And my lower end engines are SK sold through Super Kraft/Kangke. I haven't tried anything smaller then the .91 but have been told the smaller engines are just as good.
The TT PRO series is outstanding and I have always had good luck with the OS LA line, the LAs aren't the strongest but I have always had great luck with them. I always use lock tite on the head screws before I run them though, I have had A few come loose and just do it now just because!!
The Super Tigers, Tower and GMS I thought were junk but A lot of folks like them.
Good Luck!!!!
OH, and NEVER bother buying an MDS for any reason. If the seller wants A dime for it then you are over paying!!![>:]
Old 06-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I'm not sure what Tower has in stock right now, but the Super Tigre engines are ANIMALS!!! There are a few of them at my field, in planes and helis, and they all run great, sound great, and are really inexpensive. There are people who say they are tough to tune, but no one at my field seems to have a problem at all. Personally I don't want anything other than OS AX series though You can get the 55AX for 3 payments of under $45 from Tower. That's a deal. Spend another $50 (fuel, building equipment) and get $25 off to boot. (Thats a free gallon of fuel for your new engine!)
Old 06-22-2008, 09:09 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most of the less expensive engines mentioned have had success with many people and I am of the opinion that the TT,s are among the best of the lot, However after a careful reading of your post and sensing the excessive frustration its obvious you asked the wrong question even though the answer is obvious.

What is the best cheap engine for you? The best engine for you is the most user friendly not the cheapest. Continue down the cheap path and things will only get more expensive for you, Spend the money now and save $ later. Get a .46 AX or possibly a .55 AX.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Most of the less expensive engines mentioned have had success with many people and I am of the opinion that the TT,s are among the best of the lot, However after a careful reading of your post and sensing the excessive frustration its obvious you asked the wrong question even though the answer is obvious.

What is the best cheap engine for you? The best engine for you is the most user friendly not the cheapest. Continue down the cheap path and things will only get more expensive for you, Spend the money now and save $ later. Get a .46 AX or possibly a .55 AX.

I have to agree. I went the 'cheap' route and had nothing but frustration. You may find that the more 'expensive' engines are those that last, are easy to use, and give you what you need for both power and performance. For me, that's the OS AX series engines.

CGr.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Campy

Super Tiger engines are great engines, HOWEVER, they take noticably longer to break in and get adjusted correctly than other engines.

Thunder Tiger engines are also very good as well as Evolution and OS.

Magnum engines have gotten a mixed review. That may have changed since I last looked at them (about a year ago).

Tower Hobbies engines - I have owned 2 of the 46 size engines. You could not pay me to own another one. They have plenty of power, however they are plagued with air leaks and transition problems. If you get a good one they are great, otherwise you will be spending a lot of time in the shop. Do a search here on Tower Hobbies engines and form your own conclusion.

MDS engines - The 40/46 size engines do not have the nicknames of "Mostly Don't Start", Many Dead Sticks" and "Metal Door Stop" for nothing.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:36 AM
ABELL

The Thunder Tiger Pro series is IMHO the absolute best deal on the market out there. As easy or even easier than the OS brands to tune and maintain. I have two TT Pro 46s, two TT Pro 61s one AX 55, one AX 75 one FX 91, and a Saito 100. While the Saito is my favorite engine, that is like comparing apples to oranges. Of the two stroke engines the AX and FX engines are 25% to 50% (depending on size) more expensive than the TT Pro engines of the same size. The TT engines are the oldest with the most run time, but as of now I have had no trouble out of any of them with the exception of the FX 91. It has had two sets of bearings in it. It has never been run lean, for some reason is prone to rust on the rear bearing.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:48 AM
TheBrickLayer

I have always had good luck with Super Tigre. They are cheap on ebay as well.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to state the same thing as some of the other guys, I posted my idea of the better cheap engines for you but if you are really new to the hobby then you can't go to wrong with the AX line of OS engines. The price is A bit much but the engines are great.
Still, I have never run into one of there LAs I didn't like. I still have two of them that I bought back in the stone age and one of the old .40s that was given to me on A really old trainer. Now that .40 was spitting A little gray but it still ran/runs. The trainer is dead but the engine is still with me.
The Trainer had ROYAL servos in it so you may get the idea of old.
Myself, I really fell in love with those SKs and am looking to buy one of there 1.30s. The break in for the SKs is A bit different then normal but like I said I only own the .91s and they have A tapered cylinder and A ring, easy break in but take A little time. I'm told the smaller engines are even more user friendly but to date I have never had A dead stick with one. Just that says A lot.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:07 PM
mitchmcf

SK sold through Kangke are very good I have 4 of them now and all run very well and strong. Brake in is a little long with them but not much and good prices to.
[link=http://www.kangkeusa.com/skengines.htm]SK engines[/link]
Old 06-22-2008, 08:27 PM
bboykin

have any ou tried V-Mar engines out ot Canada. have one that was learning on locked it up by not following directions. now it will start with slight spin on cone by hand in wrong direction. lots eazier than OS 46 engine was 49$ or 59$ with plane purchase they sent me new short block for 38 shipping included. has large muffler but is easy to start.

bobby
Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SIG sells an excellent .46. The Aviatronics line is really nice. And it sells for only $50.00. I would get one quick before the price goes up. I have done a complete rundown on this engine. Look in the tachometer readings forum.