Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"Tower Pro" "Volt Watch"

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"Tower Pro" "Volt Watch"

Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Tower Pro" "Volt Watch"

I just saw some ads for a "Tower Pro" battery meter, from Hong Kong. Does anyone have experience with these, or knock-off brand volt meters in general? You can get two for less than the price of one Hobbico Voltwatch, but if they don't work, obviously it's not worth it.

I lost my Voltwatch when my canopy blew off the other day, and I really don't like flying without one.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: "Tower Pro" "Volt Watch"

I have some,,,,work great in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Steve Steinbring

I think the Volt Watch is a handy item, it gives a quick visual. However, I'd take the time to cycle the battery down to the caution level where the yellow light comes on and read the voltage. I checked a battery this last Sunday that had just gone into the caution range on a friend's airplane it read 4.6 volts which is below a level that I'll fly at.

Personally I don't like to fly much below 5 volts so I use 1100 milliamp batteries in my airplanes which gives a lot more flying time. IMO it doesn't take much time to check the battery with a meter between flights. Old School I guess?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:51 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's using a 5 cell pack, right Steve?

I swear by the Voltwatch and recommend them anytime I have the opportunity. I also give 'lectures' on chargers, charge time, battery and charger ratings, and so on. That's a subject that never gets old. And, I am amazed that more people don't do the research on batteries, charging, and battery care. I guess it takes one battery failure crash to make a convert.

I run a pair of 1200 mah NiMH 5 cell packs on my Venus II. I lost one in flight, didn't know it until I landed. One battery was about, oh, 5.8 volts, the other was at 0.01 volts and flickering.. not a good thing, but the dual pack saved my precious Venus II!! And Voltwatch picked it out for me. I check them by turning one on at a time before taking off, (ground check) then after landing, shut both off and again, turn one on at a time.

CGr
Old 07-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Steve Steinbring

Dick,

The 1100's I've got are all four cell.

IMO the Volt Watch could give a false sense of security that one may not really have unless you check and know the voltage at each indicator level for a particular battery.

I'm pretty sure that my friend's battery was probably below 4.8v when he flew his last flight when the Volt Watch was on the lowest green light level. At the very least I'm more than suspicious!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Steve Steinbring

Dick,

Your running a pair of 6 volts batteries in the system. Do you use a regulator with that setup as well?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Jetdesign

So does anyone else have any experience with the knock-off brand 'volt watch'? I used the Hobbico one and liked it, and am just wondering if the other, cheaper ones work as well.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will it work? Probably.

The question is though.... how much does it cost to ship from Hong Kong to the US? What if there is a problem with it, who do you call? Those would be my main concerns.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:54 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't see any substitute for taking a loaded voltage reading between flights.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

What is the thing that does this called? An EVC or something? I forget. It probably would make more sense for me to get one of those rather than buying a fleet full of Voltwatches anyway.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:32 PM
combatpigg

Tower's [Hobbico] voltmeter has served me well. It evaluates 6 and 4.8 volt packs with a dummy load. I don't fly anything that matters if the loaded reading [for a 4 cell pack] is below 5 volts....because I typically use 300-350 mill packs. NIMH packs are a nice improvement over NICAD, but you have to watch them like a hawk.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Jetdesign

Can you test batteries through the charge jack? How do you do it from outside the plane without removing the wings? If you can do that I'll buy one; makes sense - refuel, check batteries, look over plane, then fly...
Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 AM
CGRetired

Hi Steve. No, I don't use a regulator. The servo's, mostly Airtronics, are rated for both 4.8 and 6 volt operation. I've had no trouble with them in the few years that I went up to 5 cell packs except for the one time that one pack failed in my Venus II. I was very happy to have two batteries AND Voltwatch in that plane that day.

And, for the skeptics out there.. (not directed toward you, Steve because I think you understand what I am about to say)

One thing I must restate here, for the benefit of those skeptics for Voltwatch. It's another tool. Period. I realize that the best tool to have is an ESV and to do regular measurements. However, the voltwatch is not intended to be a replacement for the ESV but to be used as a tool to make a quick observation of battery condition.

If you push the limits, expect the worse possible situation at one time or another. If the Voltwatch is all the way in the green, then the battery is fine to fly with. Simple. If you need to know the loaded battery voltage down to the .001 volt, then go for it. I am a very conservative flyer. If that Voltwatch begins to flicker down toward the yellow with stick movement, the battery pack goes on the Sirius Charger. It's a simple thing, and a very easy to read and interpret tool. It's not the total answer, just one answer for a quick and easy display of battery condition. Period. And, it saved my Venus II, so I'm on that side of the fence.

CGr.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:01 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

What is the thing that does this called? An EVC or something? I forget. It probably would make more sense for me to get one of those rather than buying a fleet full of Voltwatches anyway.

Expanded Scale Voltmeter, or ESV.

And, as I said above, Voltwatch is not THE answer, it is AN answer, and works just fine. I have one on each of my planes, and at a cost of about $10.00 each. I think it's worth it to save my $500 investments ( probably minimum per aircraft, as most of you can confirm).

CGr
Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Voltwatch, IMHO, is a better device than most people seem to think. The biggest advantage is that it also alerts you to any dragging servos, binding pushrod etc. if you watch the LED's as you cycle the sticks. If you see it dipping into the red momentarily, you know that you have a possible problem in to small a gage wiring, a poor switch, something drawing excessive current for a moment or so or anything else that might cause momentary high currents. This can be catostrophic if you are using any of the 2.4GHz systems as a momentary voltage drop can cause the reciever to lose lock and have to reaquire communications (a second or more of lost signal). Loaded voltmeters are also nice and, if used before every flight, almost as good as a Voltwatch. Do not assume that ESVs are loaded however, some are not and read only open circuit voltage. Also, the voltmeters only check the battery condition and do not give you any information on the switch condition, wire current carrying capacity etc. that the Voltwatch does.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Steve Steinbring

Dick,

I agree that the Volt Watch is another tool, in fact I do have one on my Super Stearman. Even with that I still check my battery's voltage on a regular basis after a couple flights or so. You know how crotchety and crusty pilots can be
Old 07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
combatpigg

gaRCfield, it might look a little bit hokey, but I just let the charge recepticle hang out on some planes. It looks just fine as soon as you release the plane. I think GP or DUBRO makes some kind of doo-hickey to neatly mount both your RX switch and charge jack too......it is also one more thing to shell out money for that could be better spent on beer.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Jetdesign

Combat pig,
So you're saying you CAN use the ESV through the charge jack/plug in the switch? I got sucked in to buying two of those doo-hickeys, probably because I quit drinking beer
Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 PM
combatpigg

Yep, just turn the switch off and the charge jack is connected straight to the battery. Nothing wrong with the Voltwatch, it is useful.....but it only shows what the servos and RX are drawing as you jiggle the sticks with the plane at your feet.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Jetdesign

Gotcha. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:17 AM
MetallicaJunkie

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2038 these work great, and are worth it.... if you have time that is.... i ordered 4 and had them shppied for under 20 bux...it took almost 3 weeks to get them... they came from hong kong
Old 07-03-2008, 04:28 AM
cappaj1

I wasn't even aware of such a useful device. Let me know if you get the knock off brand how it works. I'm going to get one when I buy my first plane.

By the way do you have your Voltwatch stuck on with the double sided adhesive supplied and if so where? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 AM
CGRetired

Yep, just turn the switch off and the charge jack is connected straight to the battery. Nothing wrong with the Voltwatch, it is useful.....but it only shows what the servos and RX are drawing as you jiggle the sticks with the plane at your feet.

It "only shows" ? Ok. What does an ESV show? You can't use the ESV during flight either. So, the purpose of the Voltwatch is to give you a visual indication of the electrical status of your aircraft. Battery charge condition, servo draw. What else is there?

I am not saying it is a REPLACEMENT for an ESV, just a good tool to give the pilot a quick check before and after flying.

CGr
Old 07-03-2008, 05:50 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: Steve Steinbring

Dick,

I agree that the Volt Watch is another tool, in fact I do have one on my Super Stearman. Even with that I still check my battery's voltage on a regular basis after a couple flights or so. You know how crotchety and crusty pilots can be

Oh, you old Herkey Bird pilots are all the same!!!

Dick.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 AM
combatpigg

CGR, If the VoltWatch had a feature to record the worst case amp draw or volt drop during the flight, then that would be great. Wiggling the sticks on the ground does not duplicate the loads in flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.