Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need help taking off? I did it! I did it!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need help taking off? I did it! I did it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 PM
donxavier
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help taking off? I did it! I did it!

Hey guys it's me again. I didn't listen to you guys and went on ahead and took my raptor up despite all the insisting on getting an instructor and let me just say that I was successful so yes Adui I "beat the odds and flew great" it was the landing that was a little ruff as you can see from the pic. I had reinforced where it was recommended but I still have some repairs but it was all worth it. I felt so alive and of course scared as well. I was up for 12 min. would have been longer had I realized it takes about 23 min. to burn a full tank. When I got down I had a half tank left. I tried to video it but the only thing you can really see is the take off and landing. Didn't have a camcorder but my 7 mega pixel camera. I'm gonna see if I can edit and post take off and landing for those that doubt, or at least provide link.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kdGwuDlnn24
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70943.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	982423  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM
donxavier

Default RE: Need help taking off? I did it! I did it!

[I'm gonna see if I can edit and post take off and landing for those that doubt, or at least provide link.
[/quote]
Take off: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kdGwuDlnn24
Landing: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oVMbxkYK5yk
Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess congratulations on being able to fly your model again!

Don't have to post a video. I believe you (and I've seen crashes before ).

Sorry. That was mean. You're happy and it's a great feeling so huzzah for you. Hope you keep ahead of the odds long enough to get some reflexes developed.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: donxavier

Hey guys it's me again. I didn't listen to you guys and went on ahead and took my raptor up despite all the insisting on getting an instructor and let me just say that I was successful so yes Adui I "beat the odds and flew great" it was the landing that was a little ruff as you can see from the pic. I had reinforce where it was recommended but I still have some repairs but it was all worth it. I felt so alive and of course scared as well. I was up for 12 min. would have been longer had I realized it takes about 23 min. to burn a full tank. When I got down I had a half tank left. I tried to video it but the only thing you can really see is the take off and landing. Didn't have a camcorder but my 7 mega pixel camera. I'm gonna see if I can edit and post take off and landing for those that doubt, or at least provide link.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kdGwuDlnn24
Well, lets see what we have here. A new pilot, a plane that probably isn't the best thing to try to learn on, no instructor or anyone else to help if you get into trouble, and flying a fast moving glow plane from what appears to be a school or church parking lot.

What you have succesfully done here is to demonstrate a complete lack of judgement and no concern or thought for the safety of anyone or anything around you.

What is really disturbing is that you are pleased with what you have "accomplished".

Stunts like what you have pulled here are the type of thing that is going to lead to restrictions on those of us that fly responsibly. This has to be one of the most irresponsible, childish, and thoughtless things I've seen posted in these forums.

Stop.

[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 PM
donxavier

ORIGINAL: mitchell170

Well, lets see what we have here. A new pilot, a plane that probably isn't the best thing to try to learn on, no instructor or anyone else to help if you get into trouble, and flying a fast moving glow plane from what appears to be a school or church parking lot.

What you have succesfully done here is to demonstrate a complete lack of judgement and no concern or thought for the safety of anyone or anything around you.

What is really disturbing is that you are pleased with what you have "accomplished".

Stunts like what you have pulled here are the type of thing that is going to lead to restrictions on those of us that fly responsibly. This has to be one of the most irresponsible, childish, and thoughtless things I've seen posted in these forums.

Stop.

[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Sorry you feel the way that you do but I knew there would be some one like you to try and spoil my sense of accomplishment so I'm not to surprised. That parking lot is where I work and if you noticed right after take off I went left which is where I flew and landed. there is nothing but grass in that field. I used the parking lot to take off because it would make it much easier since the grass was a little high. I didn't fly over or near that structure and if you look at the landing you'll see that. The structure you do see is well over a mile and a half away sir.

Landing: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oVMbxkYK5yk
Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

If you get out of control the plane can easily get a mile and a half away from you, and come crashing down at 60mph with a prop spinning at 13000rpm. It's also easy to get disoriented or react the wrong way, in which case your 'turning to the left' could possibly not have happened. I'm not trying to bash you, but I was eager to fly a plane, so I found a club and joined it. By flying on your own, you can interfere with anyone within 3 miles of you who is flying a plane. If someone in my town decides to try to fly a plane when I'm at my club flying, and they are on the same channel, they will crash my plane, and I will have no control over it or know who did it. Or, if someone within 3 miles turned on a radio on your channel, you will lose control, and the plane can fly for miles and kill someone. It's happened before.

These planes are not toys; there is a proper way to enjoy them.

Wow I just watched the video. Any of the buildings, cars, or anyone you can see when flying that plane is at risk. Especially with that plane, you are lucky you were able to be in any kind of control with it.

Get insurance and join a club.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
donxavier

I plan on joining a club, I've never not agreed w/the fact that it's the best way but the clubs are pretty far from where I live.

I have been having some transportation issues that will be resolved by next month and I don't think I'll fly again soon so I'll be alright.

Some people do need to learn some people skills however and don't know how to express themselves without being a total D!#K.
Oh well they have to live with themselves not me. I'm just happy I flew today and had no major issues other then a ruff landing.

Thanks for the feed back to all.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Bob Mitchell

>> Sorry you feel the way that you do but I knew there would be some one like you to try and spoil my sense of accomplishment so I'm not to surprised. That parking lot is where I work and if you noticed right after take off I went left which is where I flew and landed. there is nothing but grass in that field. I used the parking lot to take off because it would make it much easier since the grass was a little high. I didn't fly over or near that structure and if you look at the landing you'll see that. The structure you do see is well over a mile and a half away sir. <<

In the taxi and take-off video I see cars, power lines, parking spots, curbs, etc. and if it's your place of work there is obviously a building and other people in the immediate area. And your own video and pictures demonstrates that you cannot control the plane on landing. I will be glad to sing your praises and congratulate your accomplishemnts when you show that you are doing so in a responsible manner.

Even very accomplished pilots should not be flying a large glow plane in such an area. For a newcomer trying to "prove" that they can actually get the airplane off the ground it's just totally ludicrous.

You can try to justify it in your own mind, but the fact remains that what you did is totally irresponsible, and gives the sport/hobby a black eye. I suggest that you find an appropriate and safe place to fly, or keep the plane on the ground. Read the AMA safety code. If you don't know what that is or don't care, then buy yourself an RC car where you are less likely to hurt somone or something.

<Edit>

By the way, my people skills are just fine. I'm sure you are a very nice and personable young man. What you are doing, however, is unsafe and thoughtless.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Jetdesign

Well good for you for agreeing to join a club. I drive 45 min to mine. I don't like having to make that drive just to fly, but it's what I have to do to be safe, and for the safety of people around me. Actually, I have so much fun and it's so beautiful at my club that the drive isn't so bad after all. It is an exciting hobby, and I am excited for you, but I just ask that you be safe, for yourself and for those around you. Someone really can get killed, and the "it will never happen to me" attitude doesn't work, because those who it happened to probably though the same thing. There really is a lot that can go wrong with one of these planes; I see them go down for one reason or another ALL THE TIME, and they are usually FAR AWAY when it happens; luckily our field is in the back corner of a large farm, so people are not in danger.

Good luck, be safe, and HAVE FUN!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

i know how you feel taking off and landing.when i started flying there wasn't a lot of instructors,no such thing as a buddy box.and i banged a few airplanes up but caught on fast.with what there is to offer now days all the electronics and such and the way some people seem to be sue happy you are taking a big risk going it alone.just please take caution,good luck.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm,

Well, first congrats on beating the odds. I too hope you continue to do so until you've gained the skills needed.

Second, the takeoff in the lot really wasn't the smartest idea but you did it without hitting anyone so no harm no foul this time.

Third, its very hard to see what is really around your "flying site" there. So little in fact the judgments given you could very well be fired off against the AMA sanctioned field I fly off of with such limited picture information of the site. After all, there is a Museum on site, with thousands of patrons a day. Granted, our site is beyond a tree covered picnic area from the museum, flying over agricultural fields away from the people, and has a designated runway so its much safer. But with what little information your video shows one could easily surmise our field was unsafe.

Scratch that, no one who knows RC aviation would miss the safety barriers and such we have up in the designated flying areas.

Still, while I can not completely agree with the harshness of the negatives, I do agree with the intended message, join a club or don't your choice; but don't fly where you have to even take off with so many safety hazards please. I know people who fly off back roads, or out of farm fields, just to fly safe and not have to drive too far to a club site.

In closing, good luck to you no matter your choices, may your landings always be good ones!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
donxavier

In the taxi and take-off video I see cars, power lines, parking spots, curbs, etc. and if it's your place of work there is obviously a building and other people in the immediate area. And your own video and pictures demonstrates that you cannot control the plane on landing. I will be glad to sing your praises and congratulate your accomplishemnts when you show that you are doing so in a responsible manner.

Even very accomplished pilots should not be flying a large glow plane in such an area. For a newcomer trying to "prove" that they can actually get the airplane off the ground it's just totally ludicrous.

You can try to justify it in your own mind, but the fact remains that what you did is totally irresponsible, and gives the sport/hobby a black eye. I suggest that you find an appropriate and safe place to fly, or keep the plane on the ground. Read the AMA safety code. If you don't know what that is or don't care, then buy yourself an RC car where you are less likely to hurt somone or something.

<Edit>

By the way, my people skills are just fine. I'm sure you are a very nice and personable young man. What you are doing, however, is unsafe and thoughtless.

[/quote]
Bob look at my profile, I have 3 monster trucks 2 buggys 1 heli and 2 other planes. And I won't have any trouble sleeping tonight (I guaranty) because I flew my plane and landed. No need to justify in my mind because, although your having a tantrum, I'm feeling pretty good. AMA book of course I know what it is who doesn't. You buy a $100. chopper or whatever and you get a copy of the code. Even if I wouldn't have shown video I see your the type that would have put your 2 sense in just to be heard and said that I was irresponsible for not having an instructor present. Well Bob good for you, your now being heard. I will not ever fly until I join a club and I will read the code once in the moring and twice before I go to bed, happy now Bob?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:41 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I'm going to add my support to gaRCfield's post. After some hard lessons with two different trainers before finally getting it right, his advice is sound and I agree with him. You, donxavier, will one day understand that not every landing is the same, nor is every takeoff. Wind speeds and directions vary, humidity varies, and so does air density. The rest depends on the pilot and the decisions he or she makes when controlling or deciding to control the craft. Flying a .40 sized plane weighing 6 pounds, cruising at 60 MPH, and with a prop that's turning 13,000 RPM in the type of location that you have chosen, puts both lives and property at risk. Like other "veterans" on this board, I will protect my own liability in recommending that you join the AMA and get an instructor.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 07-01-2008, 11:48 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

My field has a horse trail running by it about 100ft from the runway. We fly over them all the time, but not at low altitudes. We know were ok if God forbid something does happen since an AMA is required to fly solo.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 PM
donxavier

There really isn't much in that area to be honest. Of course I care about public safety. That place is in the middle of know where which is why I picked it. I would post pics but someone will find something else to get on me about and I won't make that mistake again (ha-ha). There are 2 structures and the rest is grass and of course trees, there are lights for the parking lot. but what's done is done.
Can't change it. I do appreciate the point your trying to get across to me and I do understand others point of views and maybe I wasn't thinking as I should but it's done. No harm intended no harm committed.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Jetdesign

Chalk it up as a learning lesson. All of us really want you to just have safe fun. Safety is serious, so that's why it comes across as being harsh. I hope you enjoy your new plane and your new club. It's a lot of fun heading to the field and meeting people there and flying together. You'll meet some great guys who all like the same thing you do. I really had no idea how much I would like this hobby, but I'm totally hooked. I hope you like it as much as I do.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 AM
donxavier

How long have you been flying?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:09 AM
donxavier

ORIGINAL: brett65

My field has a horse trail running by it about 100ft from the runway. We fly over them all the time, but not at low altitudes. We know were ok if God forbid something does happen since an AMA is required to fly solo.
We know were ok if God forbid something does happen since an AMA is required to fly solo. I don't understand what your saying?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Deathbunny_SG
My Feedback: (6)

We know were ok if God forbid something does happen since an AMA is required to fly solo. I don't understand what your saying?

I think he is saying that no one is aloud to fly solo (without a buddy box) unless a member of the AMA, so they would be covered by ama insurance if something bad happened. IE crashed into someone riding a horse or even a horse on its own. It is important to note that just because your a member of the AMA doesnt meen you can fly anywhere and be insured, it needs to be an AMA approved flying location and you better be following the rules if you want to be covered if something bad actualy happens.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:21 AM
donxavier

ORIGINAL: Deathbunny_SG

I think he is saying that no one is aloud to fly solo (without a buddy box) unless a member of the AMA, so they would be covered by ama insurance if something bad happened. IE crashed into someone riding a horse or even a horse on its own. It is important to note that just because your a member of the AMA doesnt meen you can fly anywhere and be insured, it needs to be an AMA approved flying location and you better be following the rules if you want to be covered if something bad actualy happens.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:38 AM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

you dont need ama to fly homeowners is primary. if you want to join a club then you do
Old 07-02-2008, 01:45 AM
timothy thompson

omg you flew out of there? insane too many cars and obstacles, you neeed a good course in airmanship. god i hate arfs they are ruining the hobby. whee look at me i went out and bought this and have no idea how to enjoy it. you dont need ama but a large isolated area not a parking lot omg
Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 AM
donxavier

I only took off from there and flew at the field next to it. Plenty of space I thought but who am I.
I'm not part of AMA.

you dont need ama to fly homeowners is primary
What does that mean?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 AM
jetmech05

there are good points brought out on both sides of the issue here.....congrats on a semi succesful flight...
Flying in a parking lot can attract a crowd..and I feel with our lawsuit happy society you took a chance......
Glad to hear you're going to join a club...You're going to be a great pilot......
Good Luck
Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 AM
bkdavy

I'm going to chime in on this one. And I hope this is a close as I ever get to flaming someone.

donxavier - your stunt in flying that plane in that area was foolish. Yes I said foolish. A fool is someone who doesn't know what they don't know. Beginners in RC have no idea what "plenty of room" means. What you percieved as plenty of room gets REALLY small when you get in trouble. If you had deadsticked on takeoff, where would you have put the plane? If the plane went out of control it could have hit any of the multitude of obstacle in the parking lot and surrounding structures. I hope you weren't standing next to the camera when you took off because you flew the plane behind a tree and out of sight on the maiden flight. Statistics show the most likely time for a plane to crash is on the maiden flight. Add to that a beginner thats never flown before, and its a recipe for disaster. You weren't good - you were lucky.

You may think you're taking an acceptable risk. If you damage something and get sued, you think its just your problem. But you make a bad name for ALL of us when you fly in those locations.

Anyone doing this or condoning this is only selfishly thinking of themselves, and not the hobby.

If you want to fly in small spaces, get a park flyer. Its what they're made for. If youwant to fly the larger glow planes, FIND A SAFE PLACE TO FLY!!!!!!!!

Brad

ps: Unless I'm mistaken, donxavier comments about joining a club appear to be sarcastic, and I'm not sure he's actually planning on joining a club.

Well Bob good for you, your now being heard. I will not ever fly until I join a club and I will read the code once in the moring and twice before I go to bed, happy now Bob?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.