Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Voltwatch saved my plane today

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Voltwatch saved my plane today

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltwatch saved my plane today

I haven't flown my GP J3 Cub in a month or so, probably more. I charged up the plane about a week ago just to keep the batteries up. Last night I again charged it up for some early morning flying today. I had it on the wall charger all night, all was good. This morning after fueling it up and getting the engine started and doing all my preflight checks, I looked at the voltwatch. It was red, bright red..whoaaaa. I turned off the engine and checked the voltage with my loaded voltmeter. Sure enough, it was reading just belove 3.9 volts, a no go for sure. I figured I'd try to charge it up with my field peak charger and took up my trusty 4*60 in the meantime. After a 'peak' reading again, same bright red light on the voltwatch and same reading on the loaded voltmeter.

I'm assuming a bad cell, bad battery pack.

Saved my plane for sure.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:46 PM
flynte

Default RE: Voltwatch saved my plane today

I have voltwatches on most of my planes, and the ones that don't, I check with loaded voltmeter after a overnight charge just before flight. These are a quick,cheap and simple safe guard from disaster (not to relace checking with a loaded meter mind you). I plan to eventually have them on all my birds.

flynte
Old 07-20-2008, 02:50 PM
im_a_rcav8r

At 3.9 volts it sounds like your remaining 3 batteries were fully charged. Nice catch and good pre-flight saved the day… This is why I fly with 5 cell packs and a 4.8 volt regulator. If one of my 5 cells goes in flight, I will still have 4 cells to run the radio until I land. I have not had a cell fail yet, but I am ready if one does.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:12 PM
rctrax

I could wonder if with a five cell pack if one failed open you could lose all volrage and still end up with a dead battery situation?
Old 07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Honestly, I rarely use my loaded voltmeter and I just went with the voltwatch gizmos on all my planes. It could have been a bad, bad day for me.

Lesson learned for sure. Some my planes in the fleet are getting a bit old. This is the second battery I've had go bad. Thankfully, I've found the problem on my preflight checks just before taking off both times.

There's no doubt I would have lost the Cub.

Be safe out there.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: rctrax

I could wonder if with a five cell pack if one failed open you could lose all volrage and still end up with a dead battery situation?
YES
Old 07-21-2008, 09:40 AM
im_a_rcav8r

If you loose a cell and it fails open, yes you will loose all voltage. However if you loose a cell because it will no longer take a good charge a 5 cell will save the day. The original poster lost a cell because it would not take a charge, had he not checked and took off with that pack he would have crashed for sure. With a 5 cell in the same circumstance, he would have had a successful flight.

The bottom line is a good preflight will find most of your problems before they become fatal to your plane.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:06 AM
chevisn7

I was thinking of buying the Volt Watch devices. From reading your posts it seems like a no brainer. Does't anyone use two battery packs with a Y connector. Wouldn't this be a good safeguard? The weight would be minimul I would think for the protection you would get. Is there a reason this is not done other than the weight and balance of the plane.
New to RC
ChevisN7
Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on the plane but every now and then I will run two batteries and two switches with each battery going into an open RX slot. Other times I will run A big battery pack with two output wires going into two switches and two open RX slots. I never use Ys at all, seen too many of them fail, even brand new ones.
I use the volt watch or GEM 2000 on A few planes. They are OK but not as good as checking my batteries with A good volt meter under load before each flight.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Villa

Hi chevisn7
On my Canard I knew I would need a lot of ballast weight at the nose. Since my one battery was already in the nose I decided to use a second battery instead of more lead. I was going to do it with a Y-connector but after reading something about it on RCUniverse I decided that using two switch harnesses would give me the added security/redundancy I was looking for. I have seen too many switch harnesses fail.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Missileman

ORIGINAL: rctrax

YES
Absolutely, the cells are wired in series. It's like Christmas lights. One bulb goes out and the string is toast.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: chevisn7

I was thinking of buying the Volt Watch devices. From reading your posts it seems like a no brainer. Does't anyone use two battery packs with a Y connector. Wouldn't this be a good safeguard? The weight would be minimul I would think for the protection you would get. Is there a reason this is not done other than the weight and balance of the plane.
New to RC
ChevisN7
On my gasoline models I run two battery packs for the receiver on seperate switches through a battery combiner. This pulls voltage from the higher pack, so that if one fails it drops out of the circuit instead of just draining the good pack along with it.