Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking for screw-on jug mounted fuel pump

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for screw-on jug mounted fuel pump

Old 08-10-2008, 04:52 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for screw-on jug mounted fuel pump

I've seen at the field a black hand pump that screws onto the gallon glo fuel jug, replacing the cap. The one I'm thinking of is all one piece, pump and screw on cap. I'll ask at the field the next time I see one but until then, I thought I'd ask here.

Can anyone send me a link, manufacturer name or picture of such an all in one device please? I've spent an hour on google and rcu threads searching for one and cannot seem to find it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:18 PM
AviationNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for screw-on jug mounted fuel pump

Slimline makes some very nice aluminum ones. I've had one for last 5 years or so and it's still working great.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGCY3&P=7]Bottle Version[/link]

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMBS4&P=7]Can Version[/link]

Dubro also makes a couple versions - they're called "Fillin' Station."
Old 08-12-2008, 02:56 PM
TedMo

I like electric pumps. TOO tireing turning crank HHHHAAAA
Old 08-12-2008, 03:01 PM
goirish

You need to get the contraption like they use in the hospital for IV Just hang the bag on the rod and no cranking or electric.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Geared manuals are my preferance and they seem to be more reliable with the hanger 9 seeming to be the most reliable of the geared pumps.

I prefer the safety advantage of not carrying fuel in close proximity to often poorly maintained batterys and panel wiring.

But most of all I like the ability to easily and accurately check fuel consumption just by counting turns in and out something you cannot do with electric.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70851.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	1010022  
Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
n19htmare

Was very easy to find on Tower Hobbies.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGWD7&P=ML

Dubro version.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Alex7403

Most people at our field using similar to what JOHNBUCKNER is showing.

I was using this: http://www.thundertiger4u.com/thunde...f30a858df61ce7

It’s the pink cap on the bottle, I got rid of that field box when the battery died but the pump is working…..
And it was to low to keep it on the ground and crank it but its working very well.

i have the pump of this one now http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB894&P=7
and looking for a metal can, i think its a much better pump so far.

Alex

Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

This http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFAW2&P=SM and this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ811&P=M with a couple screws or velcro is the perfect setup.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep the same type everyong else is showing in my box in case my electric goes out, so far that has never happened but I have that back up.
I have seen {{but never used}} the Slimline pump in both electric and hand crank that screws onto A fuel jug. From what I see though the electric is about 60 bucks and the hand crank is about 35, makes my big old hand crank at 12 beans look better then it ever has. I do use the six shooter for my gas engines too. Old school but it works!!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 PM
TedMo

To my knowledge the flash point of glo fuel is way below that of gas and have myself never heard of a problem with electric pumps for it. I do however use manual crank for gas.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
JohnBuckner

Six months ago I made the ambulance run to the hosptal transporting with severe burns on his right hand and arm a fellow flyer.

He had been making a number of flights with his field box at a field stand including a partially filled gallon can and a mounted electric pump using a typical poorly wired installation. He walked over to pickup his box to load and screamed throwing it down it was on fire with the invisible alcohol flames started by the poor wiring. I see wiring like this all the time. My fuel is alwys in cans with a manual pump. In fact I do not even use batterys and power panels at all prefering to remain full portable.

John
Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So far I have only seen one glow plane fire, it was started by fuel being pumped through the muffler then the plane was started causing the fuel to fire up under the plane. Only gas engine fire I have seen was caused by A crash when the lipol shorted out. I always have my fire bottle with me when I'm flying gas though, just never had to use it.
My old electric pump is over 20 years old and still working, been in two different flight boxes and both hooked up to my old tower power pannel. I like them both, they make me happy!!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
JohnBuckner

For whatever its worth and possibly those who would like the freedom from a power panel, its not needed or in some cases even desirable to spend lots of money on fancy strap ons or very expensive bottle carriers or cap conversions. It can be done for little more than the cost of the pump:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN118

This is the geared manual I find the most reliable and works better and more reliable than most of the others including Hobbico and Dave Browns Six Shooter (another downside of the Six Shooter is its very hard to crank unlike the geared manuals).

The Container is a key to the success of your portable unit. Majority of fuels now come in poly bottles that just don,t work with no structural strength whenever the bottle is vented as in use and a mounted or strapped on pump is hopeless which leaves the very expensive fueling stations with rigid monts but this is somewhat self defeating in portability and of course cost.

Powermaster fuels come in modern metal cans however these do not work because they have a plastic safety cap and a swedged plastic cap threads that do not stand up to continued use.

The solution is in the paint department of a good hardward store. Most solvents are now sold in metal safety cans. These are actually all metal can and cap with a plastic child proof squeeze ring around the metal cap.

The next step is to cut the plastic off and use two brass tubes from an old fuel tank or the SKS brass bin at the local hobby shop. Drill or puncture two holes in the cap after removing the gasket and solder the tube right on the top of the cap.

Most will start to bow their neck at this point and yes you could spent another five or six bucks for the dubro cap fittings kit howver I don't recommend this and here is why. If you don,t solder then this is the perfect little job to start with, very easy and these soldering skills will hold you in good stead throughout your modeling future, this is your chance and if you de decide to try it make sure you use acid core solder not rosin core. Two other little jobs if you decide to learn that will make a big differance is soldering wheels on (Never agine suffer a lost wheel in flight) and soldering custom servo extensions without unneccessary extra plugs.

The last secret of success is the pump attachment method. The metal can is so desirable because we can really crank that crank fast or slow and everything is held very solid. Now I've attempted velcro, velcro with additional nylon straps tensioned all the way around and even just epoxie or various glues. But nothing worked untill I tryed RTV (silicon seal) If you lay a bed one quarter inch thick where the pump goes and gently lay the pump in without a lot of squeezing and wait overnight, The result will be amazing and you will break the handel off before you loosen the pump bond.

However if you need to replace the pump or can its simple to cut the pump off with a long knife and just peel the remainder of the pump.

John

Name:	Us54646.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	1010757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65512.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	1010758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15687.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	1010759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26714.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	1010760  
Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Allfat

I have one of those Hangar 9 fuel pumps, and I just put a zip tie through the hole and left it open. Then I just put the zip tie over the cap of the bottle to hang the pump on the side of the fuel bottle when I am not fueling. For the cap, I used a cap converter thing that I got at my LHS that had you drill a hole in the cap of the bottle, then stick this thing through. It works fine and I think was $5 or so.

You can see kind of what I mean by the paint image I made, you can see my awesome paint skills. But anyways, it was cheap, easy, and does it's job well.

I thought about hard mounting it somehow, but I could not see a huge advantage over what I have. I guess you have to use two hands to hold the pump, but that hardly seems like a disadvantage.

Name:	Nl31099.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	1010766  
Old 08-13-2008, 03:25 PM
cappaj1

So far, none of the solutions or items mentioned is what I saw and want. Thanks anyway for your time and suggestions though as they are appreciated.

What I saw and want was a hand pump, black, that had a cap fitting built into it and it fit right over a fuel jug and was held firmly in place once screwed on - not like the Dubro mentioned which has extra do-dads on top.

The guys I saw them with when I asked about them swore by them so I'm sure I'll run into one of them again in the future.

Until then I'll use the Dave Brown six shooter which flops around when pumping as it's held in place with velcro strap around the plastic jug, and is slow at pumping in my opinion.

From what I saw this other pump I mentioned seemed much sturdier when pumping and also seemed faster at pumping. I will let you know when I get one if my guesses here were correct.

When I see what I mentioned at our field and get the manufacturer I'll be sure to post a link here in case anyone else is interested.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Geared manuals are my preferance and they seem to be more reliable with the hanger 9 seeming to be the most reliable of the geared pumps.

I prefer the safety advantage of not carrying fuel in close proximity to often poorly maintained batterys and panel wiring.

But most of all I like the ability to easily and accurately check fuel consumption just by counting turns in and out something you cannot do with electric.

John

Hey John you ain't kidding anyone , you have a still going. Cooking up some of that old mountain moonshine. At least that is what the picture looks like.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 PM
JohnBuckner

[/quote]
Hey John you ain't kidding anyone , you have a still going. Cooking up some of that old mountain moonshine. At least that is what the picture looks like.
[/quote]

Still-HMMMMM Lets see now convert the silicon line to copper tube, a low heat source, a little corn mash and durn we could sell'um through the local hobby shop. On second thought Naw the Evil Empire is likely to steal the idea and undercut their own dealers!

Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
cappaj1

I finally ran into the guy who had the pump I was looking for. It looks like one of the initial replies I got, from AviationNut, was the right one, but for some reason it just didn't look the same to me.

Anyway, the black pump I saw that attached to the top of a gallon jug of fuel was the [link=http://www.slimlineproducts.com/online_shop/m4_pump.htm]Slimline[/link].