Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Different radio for Parkzone P-51

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Different radio for Parkzone P-51

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
DA6righthand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different radio for Parkzone P-51

I see the Parkzone Vapor has the ability to bind with certain transmitters. Can I do the same thing with their P-51? Also, what transmitters can bind with different receivers?00

The reason I want to do this is because I prefer two sticks instead of a stick and a slider.

On a side-note: I'm bedridden for a couple weeks because I had surgery on a pressure sore...so I wont be able to take to the skies until the end of September. I'm new to flying and still have yet to master my trainer. I'll be playing Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2 and 3 to keep me occupied. I saw a video on YouTube of this guys Parkzone Spitfire that he flew the first time...it was his first r/c plane also. He commented that he had experience through the Flight Simulators. Does anyone else recommend using the Simulators to learn to fly r/c?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Different radio for Parkzone P-51

The Parkzone P-51 is a more mature design (a nice way of saying "older product") and comes bundled with a 27Mhz FM radio system with proprietary receiver and 5-wire micro servos. Basically, to upgrade the radio system, you'll probably have to replace the transmitter, receiver, electronic speed controller, and two micro servos with standardized equipment.

The Parkzone FW-190 is outfitted with all of the same gear as the Mustang and would be just as difficult to upgrade. The Spitfire is a bit newer than the P-51 or FW-190 and it comes with standard 3-wire servos. This means that you could upgrade the radio system a bit more easily as the ESC and servos wouldn't have to be replaced, just the transmitter and receiver.

Parkzone is just getting ready to ship a Corsair F4U RTF warbird that comes with a much more sophisticated 2.4Ghz Spektrum DX5e transmitter that is a dual stick design. In addition to the better transmitter and receiver, the Corsair will have a brushless power system and LiPo battery as well as 4-channel control with ailerons as well as throttle, elevator, and rudder. It will sell for about $100 more than the other three warbirds, but will be a good value for the level of sophistication and performance that it provides.

If you already purchased the P-51, I'd recommend you just go ahead and fly it as is. Upgrading the radio system would be expensive and time consuming. If you haven't purchased one yet, check out the Parkzone T-28 Mentor or pre-order the new Corsair instead. These are both planes that will come with better quality radio systems out of the box.

Don't feel bad if you already own the P-51 Mustang, however. It's an excellent value and they fly very well, they're just not easily upgraded. Parkzone does offer a LiPo battery upgrade for the Mustang that really helps it fly fast that may be worth checking out once you've mastered basic flight.

As for your next question, practicing your flying on a flight simulator is never a bad idea, DA6righthand. There are some good RC flight simulators that you might want to check out in addition to the Microsoft flight simulator:

www.rcflightsim.com is the link for the Clear View flight sim. You can download the demo version, which includes a very nicely modelled glow trainer. If you decide to register your download, $39.99 will get you the full blown sim. Clear View works well with the ESky USB controller which is modelled after a typical 4-channel 2-stick sport radio, available from www.raidentech.com for just $19.99. The ESky USB controller comes bundled with the FMS simulator program, which is amusing to play with but not very realistic with regard to flight physics.

You can also check out the downloadable demo of Real Flight G4 available at http://downloads.hobbico.com/softwar..._Installer.exe

I don't know if the G4 demo will be much fun while flying from the keyboard, but at least you can run it to make sure your computer can run the program well enough to your liking.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:11 PM
DA6righthand

Thanks for the help! I'm a total nOOb with r/c airplanes. I know the in's and outs of r/c cars and trucks though...but that doesn't help.

The next plane i buy will be the Corsair for sure. especially since it comes with better equipement.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Stick 40

Hi,
I have the park zone p-51 and it flys fine with the standard radio that it cames with. I wish I could upgrade it to my 2.4 , but it isn't worth it. When I am done with it , it will fit just as well in the trash can as if it was a 2.4 system!!!!!