Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking to step up, but I have issues

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking to step up, but I have issues

Old 08-20-2008, 07:43 AM
paully_321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to step up, but I have issues

I have been flying a Hobbistar 60 for a few weeks now and I can easily fly it...Landings, take offs and BASIC flying around. I took some advice from one of this forums posts and bought the Four Star 40 as a second plane. It's a bit scarier to fly and because it is so light, it tends to weathervane a bunch at low speed. And that totally scares me because I am use to slowing down a bunch for landings.

Is there a low wing trainer that has better low speed handling? Should I go bigger? I also have have the RealFlight simulator so if there is a plane in that simulator so I could practice (eventhough that might not be perfect practice) that might be good too.

Thanks for your help,

Paul
Old 08-20-2008, 08:00 AM
playntraffic

Default RE: Looking to step up, but I have issues

Check and make sure that you are not too tail heavy. Even if you have the GC exactly where the manufacturer recommends, you can still be a little off. Every plane is different.
Does the tail drop when you make a slow approach? If you pull up to a climbing 45 degree angle and roll inverted does the nose climb or drop? If it climbs, then add some weight to the nose. A more nose heavy plane will be much more stable to fly.

The four star is great second plane. You might just need to tweek yours to get it right.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have to get used to the different flying characteristics of any plane. Each one is an individual. There are things you can do to change some of the characteristics, but getting familiar with the way it flies is what develops your skills. No insult to stick to the trainer for a while, wait for a really calm day to the 4* up if the wind makes you a little nervous. The 4* is somewhat more aerobatic, and does have "lighter" feel to it. As far as weathervaning, are you talking about the tail moving with the wind? Or does it seem that the whole plane is affected more by the wind? I find that 60 size planes work better for me, the 40 size get blown around in my gusty winds a lot. My favorites right now are an Astro Hog, and a Venture 60 which is an upgraded 4*.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90266.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1015448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53362.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1015449  
Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree that the CG needs to be in your comfort zone, as well as the control throws. A lighter plane should feel so much easier to place down, but you might be thrown off a little bit the lighter plane seeming to be more responsive. The biggest leap of faith is to accept that they don't fall out of the sky for no reason. Work on fine tuning it to your liking. Some guys just end up liking .60 sized or larger.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 AM
draftman1

amen to the previos posts. it's just the move from a trainer to a faster plane adjustment. was the 4* the right plane? who knows, its a great plane. may you chould have gone with a less airobatic plane first. a stick or a highwing, semi semetrical wing. if you feal comfortable, just keep flying it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM
flyX

Do you have daul rate ? It feels like a kitten on low rates to me
I put in over 500 flights on an ace-40 though...sholder/mid wing doing touch and go , proceedure turn , in windy conditions...etc.

Yeap..It takes around 4-5 flights for me to get use to a model or dial it in to my liking.
I'd just keep flying at 2-3 mistake high slighty above stall speed to get use to it...bascailly I'm doing landing proceedure 2-3 mistakes high.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much what everyone has said. Like Bingo I try to get my students into A 60 size plane when they are ready for there second one and I like the 4* series for that reason. If I can I like them to kit build there plane if they can just so they understand what goes into one and how to repair there own planes.
Another great plane to get as A second plane is the good old Easy Sport. A sholder mounted wing seems to be easier to handle then A low wing and it's A good plane to learn stunts with too.
I just prefer the 4*s myself these days. If you make your plane just A tad nose heavy it may be A big help to you. Weather Vaining in A cross wind is just something most planes do, some handle it better then others, just the nature of the beast.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I have the Dolphin which is a copy of the Four Star. The first 3 days I thought it was a bit fast and agile, and was looking at getting another high wing plane, or something between a trainer and the Dolphin. Within a week I felt that the Dolphin flew like a trainer. Just keep flying it, of course check your CG like was mentioned above.

I was told to practice approaches so that I could learn the decent rate and slow speed characteristics. Practice landing approaches way up high and learn the plane's slow speed characteristics. Once you do that you will better understand the plane. At least that's what happened to me; it was VERY effective.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:18 PM
jetmech05

I flew a 4 Star 60 for a few years you can't get any better slow flying and landing than a 4 Star......Give it time you can have 2 arf 4 Star 60's or two kit built anything built by the same guy and no two planes will fly alike.....
now if you are fighting a crab angle due to a bit of cross wind then you are going to be misrable no matter what you are flying...don't fight the crab just kick it out with rudder just at touch down...
anyway hone your flying skills you'll get it
Old 08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
paully_321

Wow...All good advice, thanks. Maybe I just need to stick with it and get used to it. I will check the C.G.. The "test approaches" idea is great too.

If there is any more advice keep it coming,

Paul
Old 08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll get the hang. It's probably just some stick time needed.