Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to properly set up dual rates

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to properly set up dual rates

Old 08-20-2008, 02:48 PM
plugin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to properly set up dual rates

When setting up dual rates should I try to get the normal servo travel to be the high rates and then limit the travel to the low rates or should I do the opposite and get the high rates increasing the end points?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: How to properly set up dual rates

Plugin,
You should set the normal travel to the high rates. And then reduce the throw with your radio's dual rate settings for the low rate. If you try to use the normal servo throw for the low rates, when you try and set the high rate you will drive the servo past it's limits and possibly cause damage to the servo.

Ken
Old 08-20-2008, 03:06 PM
plugin

I was thinking along those lines. Thanks Ken. Is there a rule of thumb for low rates in terms of the high rates e.g 60%? I know that they should be in the manual, but if I can just measure the throw for the high rates and then go by percentages to set the low ones, it would be much easier.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:06 PM
alfredbmor

Yes, that is right. I learned some time a go that you should set the right rate (High) mechanically using the complete throw of the servo and choosing the right hole on the horns. Once that you turn on your radio and the receiver, the plane should have the high rates, then if your radio is capable of reduce the throws with the dual rates option, you can then reduce it to the manufacturers suggested throws (Some time ago our radios just weren't capable of use dual rates, can you imagine that?)

Good luck.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Plugin,
There is no magic number for the low rate setting. Most manufacturers will give you starting numbers to set the amount of travel for high and low rates, so that would be the place to start. Then you can adjust for whatever feels best to you when you are flying. If you have a plane that you don't know these settings, then you just have to play it by ear. I usually set it at 60% for low rates and then adjust after flying it.

ken