Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

T-28 maiden voyage

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

T-28 maiden voyage

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Bladecx2guy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-28 maiden voyage

Ok....so i got my new parkzone t-28 trojan home today. Like a kid and a new toy just screaming to play i couldnt wait to get her in the air! Watching the battery indacator lights waitin for the red to stay solid and green to go out!!! At last shes ready. I drive down to a vacant lot a couple blocks from my home, set her down and give hell!! she took off without a glitch made one loop around the pattern and outta nowere caught a lil wind...Next thing i knew i was playing behind enemy lines try to rescue my downed aircraft!!! Needless to say it was about 200-300 yards away at the bottom of the embankment. To all new pilots (including myself) dont get in to much of a hurry for the first flight cuz it dosnt always turn out like you want it!!! lol.......

price tally

main cowl.......................5.99
motor mount...................3.99
clevis and pushrods..........2.59
prop................................3.49
another fun time flyn birds..............PRICELESS!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Spacemonkey71

Default RE: T-28 maiden voyage

I hope you didn't damage it too much!!!!!! I'm REALLY sorry to hear that the "Virgin Flight" went south.... I've done that trip and I KNOW that's a bummer. The T28 is such a well designed plane and flier that unless you REALLY went "lawn dart"! you're probably ok

But when you DID have it in the air, what did you think? Last weekend there were FOUR of these things (owned by every kind of flyer imaginable, from the rookie, to the guy with the 180" Edge 260) and they all LOVED the T28 - most said it was their favorite plane! Watching all 4 in the air chasing eachother around looked like SOOOO much fun that I wished I had one myself! >>> in fact when I 1st started enquiring into this hobby and getting prices, the guy I contacted couldn't stop talking about how I should buy the T28 > now that I've actually FLOWN one, I can see why!!! They really are an absolute BALL to fly!

I seriously hope you can get it back in the air tomorrow (this time with a little better results!), but on the good side, the 2 part styro-glue can salvage just about ANYTHING, and even if it's a "catastrophic" wing bust, it's only $35 to replace it; you can't beat that no matter HOW you look at it

I might just have to get 1 the 1st thing AFTER I get a job (i'm expecting offers early next week) and use it to chase stray dogs up and down my street [sm=bananahead.gif] (my street is VERY low traffic! I fly my little Mini XPV in the street every day) And the T28 is so LIGHT that, even at speed, I don't think you COULD dent a car with one [sm=punching.gif]

But on the other side of the coin, I don't think I'd try flying one in anything more than a "modest" breeze.... I can imagine that having to work that thing back up the field against a stiff wind could be a REAL PITA!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60157.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1016468  
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Bladecx2guy

yes fortunatly there was little damage. The lhs has all the parts i need in stock. Swing by on the way home from work shud be flyin early afternoon......
ya definatly dnt want to fly with much breeze cuz it took off....
another rookie mistake was it was dusk so i lost orientation and thats what did me in. Just gota scatch the itch when you get a new toy ya know? O well tommorrow is a new day and hopefully i can keep her clean!!!

Good Flyin!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Spacemonkey71

just as a side note, last weekend, the owner of the T28 that I flew decided to "see how high he could get it"...... HOLY MACKREL !!!!!!!!!!! If that plane was under 1,200 feet, I'd be SHOCKED! It was SO high that to get it down, he ACTUALLY just cut the power to the engine, let go of the sticks, and let it "flat spin" down to ~100' ! It took AT LEAST a solid minute and a half to drop back down!!!!!! And then he just started it up and WHEEE!!!!!!!! he was back in the game [sm=confused_smile.gif] It was the darnedest thing I'd seen a pilot do! He just KILLED THE POWER, lit his cigar, watched it fall FOREVER!

THAT'S TRUSTING YOUR EQUIPMENT !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 AM
jetmech05

get an instructor
Old 08-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Bladecx2guy

**************UPDATE****************

ok, just got home from my second flight!!!! This plane is absolutly AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! The wind was gusting 3-5, But i wasnt gonna let that hold me back! Did a thorough pre flight, got my confidence up and threw the coal on the fire!!! Spent about 8 min. in the air, took 3 baulk attempts @ landing and the fourth was picture perfect!!!!!!! I am definatly amazed how this thing handles!!!! I would recomend this to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Flying,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94125.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1016928  
Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool... another T-28 addict!

It really is fun aint it?

Once you get a handle on it, the little thing actually does OK in the wind. It's kind of neat doing 1/2 throttle landings into a good headwind. The main problem is gusts flipping it over on the ground.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Bladecx2guy

yea the plane glides in for landing with 1/4 throttle and just stable as an iron vault!!! lol it really is a nice plane.....Cant wait to get her in the air tommorow!!!! ill try to get some pics or maybe a video!!

IM AN ADDICT!!!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Spacemonkey71

I TOLD YOU THAT YOU"D LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I had the cash, this is what I'd buy just because they're SOOOO much fun !