Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick ARF Build issue

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ultra Stick ARF Build issue

Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 AM
jib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick ARF Build issue

My son and I are building our first ARF, a Hanger 9, UltraStick 40. He recently had a complete devastation, mid-air collision with our Tiger Trainer, Labor Day weekend, just when I thought he might have his first opportunity to solo. The pile of toothpicks was amazing. We salvaged the engine, electronics, etc., but the plane was gone. One half a wing was not shattered, so we kept that for covering practice.

The issue with our build is that the Ultra Stick ARF has the wing bolt holes (at the rear center of the wing) pre-drilled, but the holes are slightly offset. In order to align the wing correctly, perpendicular to the fusilage, I need to move both holes almost a half a hole to one side.

As it is now, the wing is slightly cocked. I first picked up on it when measuring from each wing tip to the back of the fuselage. It’s not a visible alignment issue. I considered leaving it as it, but when we went to align the horizontal stabilizer, we found that we would need to offset the horizontal stabilizer about one inch to provide equal distance from each stab tip to the corresponding wing tip. This I felt was unacceptable.

I suspect I should plug the existing bolt holes and redrill them to insure the correct alignment, but I’m not sure and could use some advice about just how critical this alignment really is.

Also, what about materials? If I choose to plug the existing holes and redrill them, should I use a balsa plug or take the opportunity to use a hardwood plug?

Hopefully I have not omitted any critical information. Please let me know if I did and I’ll provide it.

Thank you is advance for your help,

Jack
Long time reader, recent subscriber
Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick ARF Build issue

Sorry to hear about your mid-air. While they are very hard on the pilot to watch, they do make for some spectacular crashes!!!

Pick up an appropriate sized dowel rod from your LHS or local home store like Lowe's. Plug the existing bolt holes and then redrill the new holes in the correct position.

Kekn
Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: jib

I suspect I should plug the existing bolt holes and redrill them to insure the correct alignment, but I’m not sure and could use some advice about just how critical this alignment really is.

Also, what about materials? If I choose to plug the existing holes and redrill them, should I use a balsa plug or take the opportunity to use a hardwood plug?
What RCKen says...........

And to answer your other questions.........

The alignment really is critical. You've got a good reason to ask for a replacement. But truth is, that'd take longer than fixing the problem.

A couple of suggestions.

Don't make any effort to find a HARDwood dowel. Best bet is to use wood that drills as easily as the wood the dowel will be stuck into. And it helps to use a glue that won't fight the drill. And a sharp drill bit helps.

Why do I offer all this less than important advice? Last year a buddy of mine had the same problem. Where he found the oak dowel is beyond me, but he had a war on his hands. He was sure that he was doing us one better by using the hardest wood possible. None of us had thought to talk about the wood in the dowel.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
jib

Ken/Rock, thanks for the lightning fast responses.

I spoke with the folks at Hanger 9 Monday morning and while they will replace the wing, they want to see the old one first. <Grrr> Given that the winter rains will be upon us soon here in Seattle, I want to get the plane in the air relatively fast, so my son can solo yet this year. Plus, shipping a fully assembled wing would be hugely expensive.

The tech at Hanger 9 suggested filling the holes with epoxy or epoxy sawdust mix, but given that the new hole will overlap the old hole, I’m going to plug the holes with standard dowel material and redrill them. Since they are only half a hole off, and I’ll be drilling through two different woods and a glued joint, the suggestion for using a sharp drill is excellent. Thanks for the reminder.

FYI - Oak dowels are available at Home Depot, right next to the ordinary wood dowels. I almost walked out with Oak, since I picked up the first ¼ inch dowel I put my hands on.

. . . and yes, the crash was spectacular. It was a head-on. The Piper Cub took the worst of it in the air. It dropped in at least two large pieces, We spiraled down in one piece. Until we got to the plane, I thought it might be salvageable. My son was heartbroken, as was I. We put a lot of time and effort into getting that “never flown”, garage sale Tiger Trainer into the air and with time, both my son and the plane were doing great. We were both learning on it, but I dropped out to give him more stick time, with the hope that he would solo before the end of summer; a target we did not achieve. We’ll be back on track soon. I’ll get back behind the stick, on a buddy box, soon afterward. I have a lead on a decent used trainer airframe we can build up, for me to learn on and for back up too.

Again, thank you for the speedy help,

Jack
Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
RBacio

Would Hangar 9 not be satisfied w/digital photos?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:38 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

They would want the old wing back first.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:34 PM
jib

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

They would want the old wing back first.
Yes, they definitely wanted the wing back first. Unfortunately, the holes were close, but far enough out of tolerance that a picture would not have proved anything.

I plugged the holes with 1/4 inch dowel and epoxy and redrilled. It's essentially perfect now. The head of the nylon bolt just about covers the dowels. The alignment is great, but there is a slight resistance when screwing in one of the bolts at the back of the wing. I'll get that sorted out soon. The rest of the build has priority. The mid-air collision was our first and only plane, so we are currently grounded and my son is chomping at the bit to get back in the air.

Jack
Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

There are some good posts on that plane here in RCU somewhere. Do a search. Such as reinforcing the wing mounts in the fuse and the firewall and landing gear mount in the fuse. I love mine, it flys really well. Sorry about the mid air[:@]
My wife often asks if I have my trash bag in my flight box
Old 09-26-2008, 06:30 PM
chashint

I sold my US40 a month or two ago and just saw the new owner drilling holes in the sky with it Wednesday.
The things mentioned to improve the plane are right on the money.
One more mod that was not mentioned concerns the two wing dowels that plug into the former at the front of the wing saddle.
On my US40 vibration was eating these wooden dowels, I fixed it by putting brass tube over the dowels.
A few years ago this was widely discussed here on RCU and the tube over the dowels was highly recommended.
I don't know if Hanger 9 ever addressed this issue or not, if you don't do this mod initially keep an eye open for evidence that the dowels are being "sanded" away by the former they plug in to.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 PM
jib

ORIGINAL: OzMo

There are some good posts on that plane here in RCU somewhere. Do a search. Such as reinforcing the wing mounts in the fuse and the firewall and landing gear mount in the fuse. I love mine, it flys really well.
I found a nice write up off the RCU site and some mods in the RCU review section.

- We've replaced the REAR OEM landing gear with a Dubro semi scale (0.40-0.60 sized) unit
- I will be adding some 1/4 inch dowel through the front firewall, to the next firewall
and
- I'd like to replace the wood backing up the landing gear, but I'm not quite sure how to get the old stuff out, without trashing the bottom of the fuze. Help?

I'm considering stripping the covering for a 2 inch width over the wing half joint, and adding a single layer fiberglass/epoxy strip overlapping the two wing halves, to strenghten it, then recovering. Thoughts?

I'll pay attention to the front wing dowels too. Thanks for that heads up.

Jack
Old 09-27-2008, 09:44 AM
delman

To reinforce the landing gear block - place a 2-3 inch piece of balsa of the same thickness behind the block then epoxy a single piece of plywood over both.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I just glued tristock 1" balsa to the fuse sides over the LG block and added micro balloons and CA all around the wing hold down former and fire wall. I did add a tank hatch to the bottom too. Some of the OLD ones had a soft wood joiner for the elevator halves.
If yours looks soft through some carbon fiber or thin plywood or even fiberglass over it top and bottom. This plane is worth the effort they fly really well.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:02 PM
jib

Fuze - OK, I was contemplating adding a block behind, then some ribs over both to tie them together. I have some 5 ply, 1/4 inch plywood I will use for both the block and the ribs. A pair of 3/8 - 1/2 inch high ribs, with the plywood on edge, will tie the fore and (new) aft block together well

The joiner was a nice peice of wood, but, as mentioned above, I'm contemplating adding a single fiberglass reinforcement all the way around anyway. I'll probably keep it clear of the front, by the dowels and under the rear, by the bolts, but otherwise, top and bottom. When our trainer had the mid-air, part of the problem was that the wing halves may have seperated while it was still in the air. It had some aluminum in there, sistered up to the joiner, but the epoxy job (not ours) was not good. There were some large gaps, where bonding had not fully taken place.

Clarification on the landing gear - We've replaced the REAR OEM landing gear with a Dubro semi scale (0.40-0.60 sized) unit

Jack
Old 09-27-2008, 05:56 PM
chashint

The wing on the US40 is very strong as designed.
Adding fiberglass tape on the joint certainly won't hurt anything but it does not need it if you use plenty of epoxy on the joiner and you get a good tight fit on the root ribs.
The plane flew with a TT46pro for a few months and then for three or four years with an OS 70 Surpass, the current owner has an OS 55AX on it which looks to my eye like the perfect match for the plane.

What is your plan for the aileron / flap setup ?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:48 PM
jib

ORIGINAL: chashint

What is your plan for the aileron / flap setup ?
We went with the single aileron, as several folks at our field, who fly their sticks hard suggested that the benefit of Crow, was outweighed by the added moment (weight) of the extra servos. We can change it later on, but for now, this was the best solution. We also are currently using a 4 channel radio. We should be replacing it by next summer.

Jack